2018-2019 NFL Season Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AustinIllini, Feb 5, 2018.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Amen, brother!

3. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

I disagree, at least in part.

Cooper was tanking it at OAK. His play with DAL is nothing like the last two years with us, or when he played in college at ALA. When he gets pissed in DAL, and he will, expect much less from him. He and Mack both wouldn't come to terms with us on contracts so they were let go.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This Seattle vs. Minnesota game is very close to being one of the worse games I have watched in the last few years.

5. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

What little I saw was misery.

And based on the play of Keenum at DEN and Cousins at MIN, the Vikings were another fluke team last season.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

When a player stinks it up with his previous team and is a stud with his new team. You can't lay the blame on the player; that's on the coaches. As for Mack. Gruden wanted to cheap out on a generational talent. If you've got one of the best pass rushers (arguably THE best) in the league in his prime, you pay the man. You don't expect an eagle's performance by offering chicken feed. I'm not a Raiders fan. But if I were, I would be pissed about the Mack trade. If my Texans had traded away J.J. Watt in his prime (4 years ago), there would have been rioting in the streets.:oops:

7. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

ha!

Nah.

He's to blame. So is Mack.

Our defense wasn't worth a flip. Mack didn't make as many big plays as people like to pretend he did.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Last night's game... ***** was all that about? Brees was not on his best. He better get it together for the fight vs Steelers and the final round vs Panthers.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Luckily the panthers have fallen off a cliff, and they are so inept right that a terrible game still equals a win.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ain't that the sad truth. I mean, that 2-pt conversion towards the Panthers and not kicking the field goal for a 1 pt conversion was eff'ing stupid. Don't get me started on that last offensive run where the Saints literally did not use it wisely and let the ball go back to the Panthers. I mean, really, if y'all have hard time making the offense and can't break the defense, just get the 3 points and toughen up that defensive line for the final seconds.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So let me ask you guys - is Tom Brady finally succumbing to the ravages of time? I've not seen any games, so I have no first hand knowledge, but we see players and analysts stating that he's not the same player as 2017. I know last year he played at such a high level (getting to the super bowl), that people were saying that he could be playing into his mid 40s. I'm not sure that's feasible.

Brett Favre retired at age 41 (or there abouts), and granted he took more abuse then Brady did, but it was quite evident, that Favre should have retired years earlier. I wonder if Brady will (like so many other super stars), try to hang on well past his ability to compete at that level.

12. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Brady certainly has come back down to earth this season. Time catches up with everybody at some point.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He's going to his the wall sooner or later. Seems the wall might be hitting him. That and the team really isn't any good.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, so I get home from a party last night early enough to catch the last quarter of the Raiders/Broncos game.

First of all, I was surprised to see a Monday night game on Christmas eve. But, well, okay.

Then I got flashbacks to the 1995 move of the Browns to Baltimore. I felt a lot of sympathy toward those Oakland fans who held up signs pleading for their team to stay. At least they got to see a nice victory for their final home game.

But I gotta say, I was momentarily shocked at the condition of the playing field in Oakland. It was a torn-up mess, probably the worse I've seen outside of muddy games played in rainstorms. I guess this was the City of Oakland's way of saying FU to the team ownership for leaving.

16. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

Yeah the rain messed it up pretty badly.

If you go to prosporstdaily.com the fans on there are excited about them leaving which I cannot fathom.

I'm a Raider fan, lifelong, I'll still root for them but I'm not excited about pro sports, any sport, moving to Vegas.

If some games weren't already fixed, in any sport, there are definitely going to be some fixed now.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So the Steelers need a win from the Browns to have a chance? Hail Mary much??

18. Thomas Veil, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know, as much as I'm enjoying the Browns' resurgence -- and I'm a long-suffering fan -- there are two points I'd like to make.
    1. Let's get a grip on this. The team has become very good. They are actually extremely enjoyable to watch again. But keep in mind that with the exception of Baltimore, all the teams they've beaten have <.500 records.
    2. Baker Mayfield is an incredible athlete and is no doubt the quarterback of the future. But I'm less than enthusiastic about his antics. Supposedly he "matured" after planting the Oklahoma flag at Ohio State. Then he cold-shouldered Hue Jackson when the latter went to Cincinnati. (Should Jackson have remained jobless?) He also called Jackson a fake. I think Jackson as a head coach was trying to do a good job; he was just incompetent at it. And this latest thing of him glaring down Jackson is just immature. Especially when he first denied he did it, then admitted it with this:

Get your phraseology right, first of all.

And being competitive doesn't mean you have to be a **** about it. Let the Jackson thing go already, for God's sake. You're starting to act and sound like a, uh, certain well-known political troll.

19. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

Yeah I still don't get the whole thing with Hue. Didn't he hug him the next week after he got fired when they played the Bengals?

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually Mayfield cold-shouldered him on that occasion.

Now Mayfield's been fined $10k for pantomiming the act of whipping out his penis and waving it around.

Yeah, I love that he wins games, but I'm thinking I'll forgo the Mayfield color rush shirt for one with Myles Garrett's name on it.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Where was this Giants team to start the season.

22. ucfgrad93, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Black Monday begins...

Bengals
    Broncos
    Buccaneers
    Cardinals
    Dolphins
    Jets

Have fired their coaches.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh please oh please oh please promote Hue Jackson! :D

24. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Wow i thought I would never see the day that Marvin Lewis gets fired... Crazy times we're living in.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, he should have been fired several years ago.