2018 MBP Bug: Charging Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schalliol, Jul 24, 2018.

1. schalliol, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018

schalliol macrumors regular

Edit: We have uncovered three '18 MBPs all with the same bug highlighted below.

As I think is the case with USB-C MBPs, my '18 15" has a power chime that plays when the power is connected or the battery becomes full. This is irritating when I work and someone may be napping, and it's just plain not necessary. It appears that /System/Library/CoreServices/PowerChime.app/Contents/Resources/connect_power.aif is played in this case. I am unable (even as sudo in terminal) to delete or change this file. I just don't understand why there isn't an option to turn this feature off when the machine is muted.

Does anyone know a way around this? Thanks!

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Open terminal and run `sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%00`

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It chiming when 'full' is a bug of some sort effecting only some laptops ( mine included ), what it's actually doing is reporting what it thinks is a power disconnect/reconnect.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Mine only chimes when first plugged in. I like it as when the MBPro is closed and off, it is a positive indication that it is charging. Not an issue for me, it is a feature.

5. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

That's what it's supposed to be doing, but for us it's also erronously chiming when trickle charging/not charging full battery randomly.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Strange indeed. I know some people’s iPhone X would chime when charging also.

Strange that it does not effect my new MBPro, and others, only some have this issue.

7. schalliol thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly it. I have it plugged in and closed when I’m sleeping someplace late and it chimes all night long periodically. It sounds like I’m not the only one on this. Is that right?

Does the system audio volume affect this? I just tried that, but it seems like this is independent from regular audio.

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I'm not sure, for now I've just either unplugged overnight or disabled sleep when screen turns off when plugged in, but I've opened a case with apple that I need to chase up on. It's a definite fault, but whether it's hardware or software is not yet clear.

9. schalliol thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I’ll do the same thing. Do you have a case # I could refer to? If so PM it to me. Thanks!

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It's not advanced enough to probably be of much use yet, only initial query and trying a reinstall, so for now just saying you know of other reports is probably good enough.

11. schalliol thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks. I’m glad I’m not the only one. I haven’t heard this through by CalDigit TS3+ dock, only the included power supply.

12. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

OK, my issue has now been escalated up to engineering review to examine, I will hear back initial conclusion/further steps on saturday.

13. schalliol thread starter macrumors regular

Great to know. My issue is being explored now as well, but I'm not sure it's in engineering.

Interestingly, my cycling chime issue happens only on the provided Apple power adapter, and I don't have a problem on my CalDigit TS3+. It simply stays charged. Have you tried a different power adapter than Apple's?

Also, you could share my case (100596058368) with Apple for another datapoint.

14. iMacDragon, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018

iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Unfortunately it's the only USB C charger I have so I can't eliminate that, but that is interesting. I'm not sure if thunderbolt power management is exactly same as USB C PD?

edit: ok, seems thunderbolt power is indeed USB-C PD as is. So there's some difference with how this is monitored then, perhaps charger status communication is different.

15. schalliol thread starter macrumors regular

Just to be clear, iMacDragon, you have an '18 MBP too, right?

16. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Haha, this is awesome. People nap where you work?

Hope it gets fixed.

I, for one, really miss the Wall-E startup sound... :(. I find the new charging sound to be annoying.

18. schalliol thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, when I’m working at home in the evening and someone might nap on the couch or something.

19. schalliol thread starter macrumors regular

Engineering is now interested in mine. Anyone else have an issue like we have?

20. vader26 macrumors regular

I do on my new 15" 2.6Ghz. I'll try to call into Apple tomorrow and see what they say about mine.

21. schalliol thread starter macrumors regular

vader26, do you have an '18 as well? iMacDragon, is yours the 2.6 like we both have?

22. vader26 macrumors regular

23. AppleHaterLover macrumors regular

24. schalliol thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, so we have three '18s with the same issue.

I can't turn mine off. How did you do it?

25. themp Contributor

themp