Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blewbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
The Hey Siri on my New 2018 MBP was working great out of the box. But now all of the sudden it only works if i manually activate siri from the touch bar or menu bar and ask her something. then she listens for "Hey Siri" for follow up commands ONLY while the Siri dialogue is up. once it disappears no more "Hey Siri."

I have tired
  1. Restarting
  2. Turning off/on Listen for "Hey Siri"
  3. Turning off/on Enable Ask Siri
  4. Redoing the initial setup of reading the "hey Siri" setup phrases
Any suggestions?

mattaj24

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2018
Any luck on finding a solution? I am having a similar problem with Hey Siri (you can see my full post here). If you're still having the issue can you see if when you activate 'Hey Siri' the audio icons in your menu bar and touch bar get greyed out?

Otherwise, I don't expect this to work because I've tried myself, but trying a SMC and NVRAM reset can always be a good place to start in trying to solve the issue.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
The Hey Siri on my New 2018 MBP was working great out of the box. But now all of the sudden it only works if i manually activate siri from the touch bar or menu bar and ask her something. then she listens for "Hey Siri" for follow up commands ONLY while the Siri dialogue is up. once it disappears no more "Hey Siri."

I have tired
  1. Restarting
  2. Turning off/on Listen for "Hey Siri"
  3. Turning off/on Enable Ask Siri
  4. Redoing the initial setup of reading the "hey Siri" setup phrases
Any suggestions?

I had the same exact issue with my 2.9 I9/16/1tb. I returned mine due to all the glitches.

BacToMac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
This probably won't apply in your case, but I had issues at first if my phone or iPad was anywhere nearby. It defaulted to my phone and sometimes my iPad, totally ignoring the Mac. This happened even when the only active device was the Mac. I had to disable the listen for "Hey Siri" function on both my iPad and iPhone, which is now a PIA when I'm in the car looking for directions, etc...

mattaj24

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2018
This probably won't apply in your case, but I had issues at first if my phone or iPad was anywhere nearby. It defaulted to my phone and sometimes my iPad, totally ignoring the Mac. This happened even when the only active device was the Mac. I had to disable the listen for "Hey Siri" function on both my iPad and iPhone, which is now a PIA when I'm in the car looking for directions, etc...

This is actually a really valid point that could be the case for many people. For me, and likely for blewbot, it isn't the reason why 'Hey Siri' is failing (I have bluetooth disabled on both devices.. which prevents them from talking to each other), but for many people concerned for why only one device is working, this might very well be the case. Good observation.

Reactions: BacToMac

lambinho

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2018
Also seem to have problem with Hey Siri, works sometimes and sometimes not. When I get an answer and want to follow something up nothing happens for example.

Seemed to work fine in the beginning-

blewbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
If you're still having the issue can you see if when you activate 'Hey Siri' the audio icons in your menu bar and touch bar get greyed out?

It does not get grayed out.

This probably won't apply in your case, but I had issues at first if my phone or iPad was anywhere nearby. It defaulted to my phone and sometimes my iPad, totally ignoring the Mac. This happened even when the only active device was the Mac. I had to disable the listen for "Hey Siri" function on both my iPad and iPhone

I have the Hey Siri disabled on my other "iDevices" because i have never really found siri all that useful or reliable. but when i tried it out on my mac i thought to myself this is something i could see myself using... that was when it stopped working :mad:.

Reactions: BacToMac

BacToMac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
I have the Hey Siri disabled on my other "iDevices" because i have never really found siri all that useful or reliable. but when i tried it out on my mac i thought to myself this is something i could see myself using... that was when it stopped working :mad:.

Siri does seem to have a lot of vacation days accrued. In fact, her schedule is somewhat baffling. She's rarely around when I need her, but feels free to insert herself into the conversation when I don't. ;)

Reactions: seeforyourself
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.