Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
I think the 2.4 model 512 drive is still a bit faster than the 1.4, but I highly doubt the difference is noticeable in day to day between both 512 drives.

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
I think the 2.4 model 512 drive is still a bit faster than the 1.4, but I highly doubt the difference is noticeable in day to day between both 512 drives.

Exactly, even the speed on 128 drive is fine for daily use and still ranks well.

jgorman

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Some comparisons here.

That is a good video, but I would say it is not so expensive to add Thunderbolt 3 storage.

You can get a 480GB TEKQ Rapide or 500GB Samsung X5 for about $200 on Amazon. Both are much faster than the MacBook Pro models with 128GB or 256GB internal storage. If you get the TEKQ Rapide, you can even upgrade the internal SSD in the casing with whatever you want.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Speed difference between different ssd drives is not really big issue in everyday use. I'd say that most peoples won't even notice difference between slower sata based ssd and PCIe/NVMe ssd in everyday use. I had slow sata2 (read speed about 300MB/s) ssd in my new Windows desktop I built some time ago (I moved that drive from my old machine to this one) and I did exchange that to fastPCIe/NVMe ssd much later. That new ssd was like 10x faster in test programs but I don't really see noticeable difference in normal use.

That being said, it is still a bit amazing that ssd they use in entry Pro models is that slow in tests. It is hard to find a separated NVMe drive that has such low performance. I hope endurance rating is better in these.

Last edited:

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
No one is going to notice the difference between the 128 and the 512 either.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
I need to get my son a new MacBook Pro is Aquarium broke and the salt water killed is 6 yo 13 in 2012 MacBook Pro ( it had 8gb ram and 512gb HDD)

I’m think base cpu with 16 gb ram and 512gb hdd. I’m concerned a 256gb HDD will be too small over time and one can never have enough ram. Lol

Any thoughts?

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
I have a 1.4/512/16 with me now, if anyone else has any questions or tests etc let me know and ill see what I can do.
Are you happy with the increased ram and HDD? This the machine I’m considering upgrading my son to from a 2012 13 in 8gb/512gb?

Just not sure the base 8gb/256gb will be adequate?

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Are you happy with the increased ram and HDD? This the machine I’m considering upgrading my son to from a 2012 13 in 8gb/512gb?

Just not sure the base 8gb/256gb will be adequate?

Well my last machine was a Late 2013 13" with 256/16gb.

So in terms of Ram I don't see much difference but I'm sure I would if I got 8gb.

512 SSD is a great addition as I was always having to dump files onto an external drive and am very happy I went with 512 this time.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Well my last machine was a Late 2013 13" with 256/16gb.

So in terms of Ram I don't see much difference but I'm sure I would if I got 8gb.

512 SSD is a great addition as I was always having to dump files onto an external drive and am very happy I went with 512 this time.
Thank you. If you had 16gb ram b4 and went with 8gb you would have regretted that.

I am not sure how anyone is able to go with 128gb between a few apps and OS I think it would be a concern. 256gb is borderline which is why I asked.

Apple really needs to get rid of the base laptop at 128gb. Today the base should be 512gb‍♂️

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Thank you. If you had 16gb ram b4 and went with 8gb you would have regretted that.

I am not sure how anyone is able to go with 128gb between a few apps and OS I think it would be a concern. 256gb is borderline which is why I asked.

Apple really needs to get rid of the base laptop at 128gb. Today the base should be 512gb‍♂️

Yep agreed. I was going to get the 2.4 model and 256ssd as it fit within my allocated budget, but when the 1.4 model came out and I went for that instead with 512gb. Don't regret it one bit.

The machine pretty fast.

Some people are complaining about heat which I would agree on but I find its because the fans take quite a while to ramp up, if they came on earlier it would be better. with light tasks like Office and Word that fan isn't even on. Right now I'm getting 42c temp, 0 rpm fan with safari (5 tabs), mail, outlook and excel open. Ambient is around 27c.

When the air con is on, I get around 32c in similar tasks.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Yep agreed. I was going to get the 2.4 model and 256ssd as it fit within my allocated budget, but when the 1.4 model came out and I went for that instead with 512gb. Don't regret it one bit.

The machine pretty fast.

Some people are complaining about heat which I would agree on but I find its because the fans take quite a while to ramp up, if they came on earlier it would be better. with light tasks like Office and Word that fan isn't even on. Right now I'm getting 42c temp, 0 rpm fan with safari (5 tabs), mail, outlook and excel open. Ambient is around 27c.

When the air con is on, I get around 32c in similar tasks.
Does it warm up a lot watching videos, from you tube? Streaming video from Netflix or other service? Have you stream video via hdmi to a tv?

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Does it warm up a lot watching videos, from you tube? Streaming video from Netflix or other service? Have you stream video via hdmi to a tv?
It does feel quite warm when doing tasks like that you have several Safari tabs open and one of them is like playing music videos on Youtube. It is not hot, but it is pretty warm if you keep it on your lap at the same time. Of course variables like ambient temp and AC running make differences.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
It does feel quite warm when doing tasks like that you have several Safari tabs open and one of them is like playing music videos on Youtube. It is not hot, but it is pretty warm if you keep it on your lap at the same time. Of course variables like ambient temp and AC running make differences.
Thx. Does it get warm enough to throttle performance?

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Thx. Does it get warm enough to throttle performance?
No, not even fan running. I think default fan profile lets it get pretty hot until it turn on, so I think little more aggressive CPU cooling profile would make it much cooler but I guess most peoples prefer it silent.

Reactions: nealh

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
Been using mine now for a couple of weeks. I keep hitting the Touch Bar while typing. Very frustrating.

I have also noticed the left and right side of the laptop gets VERY warm to the point if I am wearing shorts I can't rest the laptop on my legs.

I have been using Wondershare to convert and combine video clips on a regular basis. Much faster than my previous MacBook Air, but the Air NEVER got warm. Sometimes the fan would kick on, but it was never uncomfortable to hold.

My new MBP runs noticeably hotter. I have the base with 8gb and 256 storage.

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
I do

Not for me. Netflix and youtube you are looking at around 45c maybe less if the ambient is lower.

CPU is running between 1.2ghz and 1.5ghz. No fan.

Only once did I notice it getting hot, but it tuned out to be a popup that was causing the CPU to work harder. Once it was closed everything returned back to normal.

I have not connected it via HDMI but I have streamed some 1080p video through Plex and again it barley broke a sweat.

It did used to get hot when I first got it, but I was installing a lot of apps and indexing was on going.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I do

Not for me. Netflix and youtube you are looking at around 45c maybe less if the ambient is lower.

CPU is running between 1.2ghz and 1.5ghz. No fan.

Only once did I notice it getting hot, but it tuned out to be a popup that was causing the CPU to work harder. Once it was closed everything returned back to normal.

I have not connected it via HDMI but I have streamed some 1080p video through Plex and again it barley broke a sweat.

It did used to get hot when I first got it, but I was installing a lot of apps and indexing was on going.
Can you comment on what battery temperature reading you get at that time?

I haven't been checking much all CPU temps but at the time I feel my unit warm (a little too warm when it is on my lap for longer time) my battery temp is around 34-37c. Not sure how accurate those readings are because even now it says just under 34c and I can feel wrist rest area feels warm, warmer than my skin. But I'm just playing music on Youtube with Safari and it seemingly heats up the CPU too as keyboard and Touch Bar area is also very warm, so some of the temp gets conducted from there in metal chassis, I guess (but then it should warm up the battery too, but its reading is still that low...).

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019

Easily. I have 128gb drive with every app/program I need and still have 70gb to spare.

Reactions: jgorman

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I have almost 92GB free (128GB SSD) with almost all I need installed. I maybe later add MS Office and some Photoshop like programs but still seems very adequate for my needs. I have external USB-C 512GB SSD in case I need to deal with large files, so I don'r really need to make any trade off in disk speed in those cases.

Those external ssd's (just as well as any NVMe/PCIe disk you buy separately) are dirt cheap, I paid under 100 for mine. Apple was asking almost 250 extra for 128>256 internal ssd update. :D
It seems you can easily double the price of the machine when you take it with slightly larger internal SSD and RAM than entry model. That is ridiculous in my opinion since the way all computers are made today, is that fact that battery used in them is the first one that will die and it wont take very long usually. Seems that years ago machines that had li-ion batteries lasted much longer. So trying to future proof something now days by paying double price and where you get with that, when your battery dies? I rather buy more often new basic models than do that. There is no question next year, or 2-3 years later there is a new toy you want anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgorman

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Yep, cheaper to add storage later and it will be faster storage as well given how Apple appears to be cheaping out on their storage choices (and not passing the savings on to the consumer).

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Can you comment on what battery temperature reading you get at that time?

I haven't been checking much all CPU temps but at the time I feel my unit warm (a little too warm when it is on my lap for longer time) my battery temp is around 34-37c. Not sure how accurate those readings are because even now it says just under 34c and I can feel wrist rest area feels warm, warmer than my skin. But I'm just playing music on Youtube with Safari and it seemingly heats up the CPU too as keyboard and Touch Bar area is also very warm, so some of the temp gets conducted from there in metal chassis, I guess (but then it should warm up the battery too, but its reading is still that low...).

26c

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Seriously? It does not get any warmer than that (and you are not sitting in the freezer while using it)? Do you ever see it around 35c?
Mine is around 24-25c when I first power it up. So in your unit battery does not warm up at all.
No wonder you got so fabulous test results in CB test where your battery did not drop FCC at all.

How about other Entry MBP 2019 owners. What is your battery temperature when you run it on battery for quite some time and machine is under moderate load?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.