Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
I have one that came with my iPad Pro. It charges my iPhone to 50% in like 15 minutes. The rest takes longer but it's pretty amazing for a quick top up a couple of times during the day.

I'm travelling tomorrow and thinking of taking just this brick to quickly charge my iPhone and iPad but I still have my Watch. I wonder if the Watch will support this if plugged in with a USB-A to C adapter.

You can actually order a USB-C Apple Watch charging cable. Sure, it’s $29, but I charge everything from my MBP. Great convenience!

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU9K2AM/A/apple-watch-magnetic-charger-to-usb-c-cable-03-m

Reactions: ipedro

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I’m not sure if the average consumer realizes how bad fast charging is for lithium batteries, and that’s a real concern here.

Nonetheless, I do think it’s time to move away from USB-A. It’s going to hurt while the transition is being made, but we’ll all be happier 5 years down the line.

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Tim wasn’t kidding! I’ve never been more excited about the product pipeline either! 18w chargers and USB C cables as standard on €900-€1500 phones after 5 years?!

NEXT LEVEL Y’ALL!!!

Reactions: simonmet

David1964

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
dont worry, they'll fall apart pretty soon so you'd have to buy new ones anyway
[doublepost=1556609055][/doublepost]Apple’s cables do NOT break easy if you handle them correctly.I have never broken one because i look after my stuff.I am still using a lightning cable that came with my iPhone 5 in 2012.

Reactions: tooloud10

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Color me impressed, my Mi 9 Wirelessly charges at 20W.....
[doublepost=1556609055][/doublepost]Apple’s cables do NOT break easy if you handle them correctly.I have never broken one because i look after my stuff.I am still using a lightning cable that came with my iPhone 5 in 2012.
Typical example of "You are using it wrong" attitude, so much for "it just works".

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
With the rumours of a thicker phone this time round it would be a good time to move to usb-c. I was going to keep my 256gb iPhone 8 for a few years but if the 11 allows me to use the same accessories I have for my iPad Pro then i’ll Upgrade right away.

Lightning is still the better connector imo but the accessory market with usb-c is growing as every device category adds it.

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
if this is true then Apple should offer a discount to these products for those of us who have anything after (and including) the iPhone X. what were Apple thinking shipping something as ridiculous as a 5W charger and not supplying a lightning to USB-C cable (for those customer who have USB-C only laptops!).

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
dont worry, they'll fall apart pretty soon so you'd have to buy new ones anyway

They only "fall apart" because irresponsible and lazy people yank the cords out by the cord, not the plug.
Never has an Apple cord broken on me.
Would you yank an electrical plug out of a wall socket by the cord?

Reactions: B4U

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
Lightning has served its purpose and needs to die.

Seriously, it's well past its sell-by date. Its only advantages over micro-USB were durability and ability to be flipped. Those are gone with USB-C, it's easily more durable than Lightning and is flippy. It also can move more power and is faster.

Yeah, tell that to my girlfriend.

Sure, MY lightning cables last years. But she's lucky to get two months on the heavy-duty non-Apple cables she gets, she can destroy an Apple cable in a week. They're fragile.
[doublepost=1556626601][/doublepost]
They only "fall apart" because irresponsible and lazy people yank the cords out by the cord, not the plug.
Never has an Apple cord broken on me.
Would you yank an electrical plug out of a wall socket by the cord?

You understand that people do that all the time, right?

Cables need to be designed for real-world use cases, not careful tech heads.

Apple used to understand that. It's why they designed MagSafe.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
I'm not going to say USB-C port on the iPhone would move me back to iPhone on my next phone purchase, but it would be a very nice incentive.

As it is, my wife and I can take one plug and cable for my Pixel XL 2, iPad Pro and her MacBook Pro on trips but we need a special cable for her iPhone. Kind of dumb. But also not the biggest deal. And I'm not saying we are likely to only bring on cable and charger for all of those, but when everything works together and is the same ports it's just easier and less to think about.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Lightning has served its purpose and needs to die.

Seriously, it's well past its sell-by date. Its only advantages over micro-USB were durability and ability to be flipped. Those are gone with USB-C, it's easily more durable than Lightning and is flippy. It also can move more power and is faster.

Yeah, tell that to my girlfriend.

Sure, MY lightning cables last years. But she's lucky to get two months on the heavy-duty non-Apple cables she gets, she can destroy an Apple cable in a week. They're fragile.
[doublepost=1556626601][/doublepost]

You understand that people do that all the time, right?

Cables need to be designed for real-world use cases, not careful tech heads.

https://www.amazon.com/Fuse-Chicken-Lightning-Compatible-Certified/dp/B01MYGQKVE/
If your girlfriend can destroy this cable, I have bad news for you.

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
If Apple went to USB-C on the next iPhone all the haters would complain that Apple is always changing their plug standard, even though in 11 years they've only changed it once. To me that is Apple looking out for their customers as they don't have to buy all new cables every 2-3 years. Haters can't see that though.

I will say this, the 2 Apple standards connectors that have been in use were light years ahead of any connection standards at the time Apple introduced them. The 30 pin was super fast and could carry audio/video, and hold the iPod/iPhone in a dock. The Lighting was small, strong, and symmetrical.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
I have no desire for USB-C ports on iOS devices or fast charging.

1) I already have 10-20 USB-A cables laying around everywhere. They work fine and I don't want to replace them. I don't find them to be fragile or especially breakable as long as you don't abuse them. The people that regularly break Lightning cables are the same people walking around with cracked iPhone screens, acting like it's totally normal to not even be responsible enough to keep their phone in one piece.

2) USB-A is ubiquitous, everywhere I go. It's essentially a power standard at this point.

3) I don't have any need for any data transfer speed improvements, if that's even a thing with USB-C.

4) I'm just never in a situation where I need to charge that quickly. If it didn't wear your battery out faster I would be fine with fast charging, but it's just unnecessary for me with that kind of caveat. It seems like the people that want fast charging are the ones that pay zero attention to the charge level until the phone is literally within seconds of dying.

Charge your phone at night as slowly as possible and plug it in for a bit during the day if it gets down to 40% or so and the battery will last a lot longer. Run it dead and fast charge it every time, and you'll just find yourself having to charge it even more.

rwright

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2014
https://www.amazon.com/Fuse-Chicken-Lightning-Compatible-Certified/dp/B01MYGQKVE/
If your girlfriend can destroy this cable, I have bad news for you.

I've had failures with Apple and Anker cables. Apple cables tend to get all bulgy near the connector (no, I don't pull out by the cable, I grab the connector). I don't think I'd let them fail, I just replace at that point (twice over 10 years). The Fuse Chicken cable would probably address that failure mode.

The more common failure I've seen with both Apple and Anker (so will assume the above cables as well) is that the connectors get corroded or blackened somehow. I live in San Francisco Bay Area where the humidity isn't too crazy. Over 10 years I've had at least 4 cables with connector issues (two of us in our household have iPhones).

Something like this: https://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/04/lightning-cable-corrosion/

Would be interesting to know if USB-C works any better. I'm all for USB-C so all my Apple devices and cameras use the same interface but sure hope they are more durable. The good thing so far is that I've never had a failure on the iPhone side but then again, I replace iPhones every 2 years so would hope I wouldn't see failure in that short period.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I've had failures with Apple and Anker cables. Apple cables tend to get all bulgy near the connector (no, I don't pull out by the cable, I grab the connector). I don't think I'd let them fail, I just replace at that point (twice over 10 years). The Fuse Chicken cable would probably address that failure mode.

The more common failure I've seen with both Apple and Anker (so will assume the above cables as well) is that the connectors get corroded or blackened somehow. I live in San Francisco Bay Area where the humidity isn't too crazy. Over 10 years I've had at least 4 cables with connector issues (two of us in our household have iPhones).

Something like this: https://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/04/lightning-cable-corrosion/

Would be interesting to know if USB-C works any better. I'm all for USB-C so all my Apple devices and cameras use the same interface but sure hope they are more durable. The good thing so far is that I've never had a failure on the iPhone side but then again, I replace iPhones every 2 years so would hope I wouldn't see failure in that short period.
My zerolemon cable from when I got the 5S is still rocking like day 1. Not sure why people have broken cables.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
The problem I have with this (other than the 20 existing cables) is that the USB-C end doesn't work with all the USB ports in cars, airports, airplanes, wall circuits, hotels,etc. I guess I'll just use my existing Lightning to USB-A cables and store this one for future use.
I understand why Apple wants to convert to USB-C as others have but the world isn't really ready. How may people won't use CarPlay because they'll need a different (old maybe) cable or a dongle.

Wouldn't a simple female USB-C to male USB dongle take care of this problem?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Why?
[doublepost=1556592764][/doublepost]
Why?
If you have an old iPhone, nothing has changed. If you buy the new iPhone, the new cable and charger can still charge older iPhones since the phone end is still lightning.

You need the dongle for the USB-C end to use with any other charging port in the world, including airplanes, cars, public charging stations, existing chargers, most other computers, accessories, combo outlets, power strips, etc.

Ha. Right, because nobody ever complained about a MagSafe connector fraying and shorting out from basic use? Not even close.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
You need the dongle for the USB-C end to use with any other charging port in the world, including airplanes, cars, public charging stations, existing chargers, most other computers, accessories, combo outlets, power strips, etc.
Yet people are complaining wanting USB-C. So what is it? Apple sticking to USB-A, people complain, Apple making things to USB-C, and people still complain.

Luckily, accessories do catch up. I can buy car adapters and power banks that have USB-C on them nowadays. They’re quite common nowadays. Heck, I even have a powerbank with Qi wireless charging on it, so no cables needed to charge the latest iPhones.
And unless you’re a brand new iPhone user, you can still use your old lightning to USB-A cable if you like charging your phone in public outlets so much.
[doublepost=1557015173][/doublepost]
My zerolemon cable from when I got the 5S is still rocking like day 1. Not sure why people have broken cables.
I have my stock original cable from my launch iPhone 5 that’s still working fine as well. Heck, I have my old 30-pin cable from my iPod nano, still works as well.

People simply don’t take care of their stuff. But instead of moving on and get a new cable when theirs broke, complaining apparently feels more productive for them. :shrug:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.