2019 iPhones Said to Keep Lightning Connector With Same Old 5W Charger and EarPods in Box

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While it was recently reported that Apple has at least considered switching to USB-C on the iPhone, Japanese blog Mac Otakara believes that 2019 models will stick with the Lightning connector as a cost-saving measure.

Based on its conversations with various accessory manufacturers, the blog also predicts that 2019 iPhones will continue to be bundled with the same old 5W power adapter, forcing customers to spend extra if they want a faster charger like the 18W USB-C version that ships with the latest iPad Pro models.

Likewise, the blog predicts that 2019 iPhones will continue to ship with a Lightning to USB-A cable and Lightning-based EarPods.

Article Link: 2019 iPhones Said to Keep Lightning Connector With Same Old 5W Charger and EarPods in Box

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

G5isAlive

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2003
Talking about cost saving measures with a phone that costs a minimum of $800 and most versions over $1000... suggests Apple is drinking too much of its own Kool-Aid if true. Hopefully not true. Remember its a rumor before getting too uptight.

ph001bi

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2015
London
If this is true, this is pathetic. I understand having the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus provided with 5W chargers next September as the boxes are already in the supply chain, but replacements for XR, XS and XS Max should move to 18W and USB-C to lightning.
The cables cost the same and the increased volume should reduce the production cost of the chargers. No excuse

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I suppose this makes sense since it’s more of an “S” year upgrade. I do expect it in the iPhone XI S, though.

DVNIEL

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
California
So my dreams of having one charger to rule them all will be delayed another year.

MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, GoPro7, Louis Vuitton Earphones, Work issued Google Pixel.....

iPhone.

iChrila

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
I dare to say most people outside of MacRumors (me included) don't care about the charging speed. The phone is charged over night and that's it. Doesn't matter if it charges 50% of the battery in 30 minutes or in 2 hours. Even wireless charging is just a gimmick and I hardly know anyone who actually uses it regularly.
If they keep lightning for another year it'll be a bummer :/ I finally want the same port on every device just like Apple promised us years ago..

RedGala

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
If Apple does this, the iPhone will lose a lot of traction. Stocks will tumble, and almost all consumers will be angry.

Reactions: maurom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.