2019 iPhones Said to Keep Lightning Connector With Same Old 5W Charger and EarPods in Box

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While it was recently reported that Apple has at least considered switching to USB-C on the iPhone, Japanese blog Mac Otakara believes that 2019 models will stick with the Lightning connector as a cost-saving measure.

[​IMG]

Based on its conversations with various accessory manufacturers, the blog also predicts that 2019 iPhones will continue to be bundled with the same old 5W power adapter, forcing customers to spend extra if they want a faster charger like the 18W USB-C version that ships with the latest iPad Pro models.

Likewise, the blog predicts that 2019 iPhones will continue to ship with a Lightning to USB-A cable and Lightning-based EarPods.

Article Link: 2019 iPhones Said to Keep Lightning Connector With Same Old 5W Charger and EarPods in Box

2. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

They dont care about their customers / laugh at them while taking their money

There is no other explanation for this depraved level of penny pinching

3. busuan macrumors member

Rejoice! But that is still USB 3.1, right, right?

4. benshive macrumors member

Bought my X right after it was released and the 5W brick is still sitting in the box.

5. Burger Thing macrumors 6502a

Burger Thing

As long as the peeps are stupid enough to pay for it, why not?

6. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave knowing you can’t take Apples flagship product out of the box and plug it into a brand new Mac.

7. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I hope they're expecting to sell less iPhones than they are this year lmao. Apple are just shooting themselves in the foot now. No direction, years behind on features, no parity between devices, broken keyboards, bent iPads...

8. GreenPixel macrumors member

GreenPixel

I'll buy a new iPhone when it has USB-C and a fast charger included.

9. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Talking about cost saving measures with a phone that costs a minimum of $800 and most versions over $1000... suggests Apple is drinking too much of its own Kool-Aid if true. Hopefully not true. Remember its a rumor before getting too uptight.

10. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Because its a 5w right?

I can never have enough fast chargers in the house

11. ph001bi macrumors regular

If this is true, this is pathetic. I understand having the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus provided with 5W chargers next September as the boxes are already in the supply chain, but replacements for XR, XS and XS Max should move to 18W and USB-C to lightning.
    The cables cost the same and the increased volume should reduce the production cost of the chargers. No excuse

12. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

Why don't we wait to see what actually happens before dragging Apple over the coals based on a rumor...

13. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Excellent! That explains how Apple has been able to keep the price of the iPhone so low!

o_O

14. sblemmy macrumors regular

sblemmy

Yup, and in a few years we’ll all have a bunch of 18W sitting in the box.

15. macloverHK macrumors member

I'm not buying another iPhone until it's equipped with USB-C

16. shpankey macrumors regular

Again, Tim Cook for the money, same stuff with higher prices for higher margins. SJ pushed the envelope of technology for that prepium price. That I will gladly pay for. This... meh. This is the new Apple. It really sucks now. I hope they wake up someday. :(

17. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

I suppose this makes sense since it’s more of an “S” year upgrade. I do expect it in the iPhone XI S, though.

18. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors newbie

IRockThat828pScreen

19. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

So my dreams of having one charger to rule them all will be delayed another year.

MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, GoPro7, Louis Vuitton Earphones, Work issued Google Pixel.....

iPhone.

20. Martius macrumors 6502

Martius

They might consider to include some hand crank charger, it would still be faster than the 5W.

Learning from own mistakes, that's how the business is done... you know, Apple?

21. profets macrumors 601

Unpopular opinion: most people are charging devices overnight, and 5W is more than sufficient for these use cases. Also, long term slower charges are better for battery health.

22. jObooW macrumors member

Why would you even need to plug it in to your Mac?

23. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

Put at least 10-12W charger in the box.

24. iChrila macrumors newbie

iChrila

I dare to say most people outside of MacRumors (me included) don't care about the charging speed. The phone is charged over night and that's it. Doesn't matter if it charges 50% of the battery in 30 minutes or in 2 hours. Even wireless charging is just a gimmick and I hardly know anyone who actually uses it regularly.
    If they keep lightning for another year it'll be a bummer :/ I finally want the same port on every device just like Apple promised us years ago..

25. RedGala macrumors regular

RedGala

If Apple does this, the iPhone will lose a lot of traction. Stocks will tumble, and almost all consumers will be angry.