2019 iPhone's Triple-Lens Rear Camera Design Allegedly Showing in New Renderings

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Serial phone leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer has partnered with Indian tech site Digit to release some new renderings claimed to be of the next-generation iPhone, presumably scheduled to launch around September of this year.

[​IMG]

The distinguishing feature of the renderings is the rear camera, which is a large, unusual-looking patch housing three lenses in a triangular configuration, a flash, and a microphone.

Given the extremely odd appearance, we'd ordinarily dismiss such renderings out of hand unless additional evidence surfaced, but Hemmerstoffer has a long track record of sourcing information from the supply chains of Apple and other phone manufacturers. He does, however, acknowledge that this is a "freakingly early leak" and plans may change before the phone design is finalized.

At least one of this year's iPhone models is rumored to include a triple-lens rear camera, although early rumors are split on just what the third lens would be used for.

Some sources have indicated Apple is working on "time-of-flight" depth sensing for higher-quality augmented reality experiences, but reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is skeptical that the technology will make it into Apple's 2019 iPhones. A more traditional third camera lens could still be used for other purposes, however, such as for improving low-light performance or offering improved optical zoom capabilities.

Phone manufacturers have recently been racing to boost their camera lens counts to three, four, or even five in an arms race to make their devices stand out with unique features. Apple, however, has chosen to be selective in how it competes on rear camera specs, largely focusing on software and chip enhancements to improve photo quality while gradually moving to dual-lens rear cameras in its highest-end models.

Article Link: 2019 iPhone's Triple-Lens Rear Camera Design Allegedly Showing in New Renderings

2. Soccertess macrumors 65816

That is ugly.

I wonder if they would put the cameras in the middle...

3. zahuh macrumors regular

4. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Hopefully this isn't a final design. As George Carlin would say it suffers from an "appearance deficit."

5. miflgr92 macrumors member

I’d much rather Apple work on getting rid of the camera bump instead of adding another lens.

6. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

The cameras are already good enough just make the phone a better over all value. Increase the thickness of the phone slightly to get rid of the wobbly bump and improve battery capacity. Sell it for $150 less than this years.

7. thasan macrumors 6502a

Omg. That’s so damn ugly. Pls pls pls at least don’t make a bump. Increase the phone thickness instead

8. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

It could be done by enlarging the phone. I’d be fine with that and more battery life.

9. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

10. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

if you put a case on (like almost everyone) then there is no camera bump

11. tjleonard macrumors 6502a

That is...by far the worst thing I’ve ever seen!

12. MDF314159265 macrumors regular

MDF314159265

Ugly! If this were their attempt to “advance” the camera, just do one lense and put a cmos sensor. Call it the “iPhone mirrorless.”

13. kingpushup macrumors regular

The circles are not arranged symmetrically, the circles do not complement the square bump or the square phone .. yet mostly I’m surprised that with 5 items they could not make a pattern hinting at an Apple logo .. just sayin wow they did nothing with all that

14. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

That's the good enough Apple. The year is 2019 you need to sell phones that cost $1,000 that don't wobble. Preferably with cell chips that work.

15. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

At that point they should just design an Apple Camera, it's no longer primarily a phone. And god damn is that ugly. Wouldn't pay a dime for it, I don't care what it can do.

16. farewelwilliams, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

i rather have a bump. my iPhone 5 had so many scratches on the back. my iPhone 6+ and even my 7+ jet black didn't have as many scratches as the iPhone 5. it's thanks to the camera bump

with that said, this rendering is horrid. almost 100% sure Apple will show off a better looking one

17. Pakaku macrumors 68010

Pakaku

In other words, plans are absolutely changing before the phone design is finalized

18. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502a

Deacon-Blues

Too far. If that's real, that's a hard no. HARD NO.

19. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

LMAO! That is so disgusting. I wonder how many people will defend that design knowing how bad it is?

20. HiroThreading macrumors member

HiroThreading

For anyone that believes these renders: I've got some fantastic snake oil to sell you.

21. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I think I threw up in my mouth a little. Three times!

22. isaac_appleweed macrumors newbie

isaac_appleweed

With that camera bump, the phone will be as stable as my girlfriend's emotions.

23. otozuz macrumors regular

otozuz

No way :) Wouldn’t be surprised to see that layout without the bump though.

24. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Apple would never do something so ridiculous as this.

- Sent from my bent iPad Pro