• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit today shared a video teardown of the new iPad Pro, which Apple unveiled earlier this month.

ifixit-ipad-pro-2020.jpg

iFixit found that most of the internals of the 2020 iPad Pro are the same as the 2018 model, confirming that the device is a relatively incremental update.

The most notable new feature seen inside the new iPad Pro was the LiDAR scanner, which measures the distance to surrounding objects up to five meters away, and enables enhanced experiences with augmented reality.

iFixit also took a look at the new A12Z Bionic chip, which contains an eight-core GPU, enhanced thermal architecture, and tuned performance controllers. The A12Z is paired with 6GB of RAM, upgraded from 4GB on all but the 1TB 2018 model. Earlier this week, it was reported that the A12Z chip is essentially a renamed A12X chip with an extra GPU core enabled.

The USB-C port continues to be modular and can be independently replaced, but adhesive holds almost everything in place, making all repairs more difficult.

Overall, the 2020 iPad Pro earned an iFixit repairability score of three out of 10, the same as the 2018 model, due to the device's "pretty abysmal repair procedures."

Earlier this week, iFixit completed a teardown of the new scissor keys in the 2020 MacBook Air.

Apple's new iPad Pro can be purchased from the online Apple Store and is priced starting at $799.

Article Link: 2020 iPad Pro Teardown Provides Closer Look at LiDAR Scanner and Confirms Incremental Update

Last edited:

Freida

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2010
This is why I think we really get another one this fall. This is just lazy job on Apple's part but I feel that they had to update it because of the LIDAR as WWDC will show us something for that. Otherwise why bother with an update that gives nothing?
So yeah, not buying this and hope the real update is proper (plus stronger aluminium of course)

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is why I think we really get another one this fall. This is just lazy job on Apple's part but I feel that they had to update it because of the LIDAR as WWDC will show us something for that. Otherwise why bother with an update that gives nothing?
So yeah, not buying this and hope the real update is proper (plus stronger aluminium of course)
Always dangerous waiting for another update as this iPad was expected October 2019 but only Just landed...so you never know

Comment

Freida

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2010
I agree with you but this is not an update. The only difference is the camera. Everything else is the same. Chip is old, structure is weak (for me) so I am not giving Apple my money for this. :)

Always dangerous waiting for another update as this iPad was expected October 2019 but only Just landed...so you never know

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I agree with you but this is not an update. The only difference is the camera. Everything else is the same. Chip is old, structure is weak (for me) so I am not giving Apple my money for this. :)

That’s up to you but the major update will basically be mini led and a14x chip the rest will be the same most likely...the chips on the iPads are lighting fast so going from this chip to a14x I’m not sure in real world usage it will be that massive.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Maybe I am in the minority, but when that keyboard comes out in may with the trackpad, this will be my only computer that is not a desktop. I just got the new 12.9 and this thing is amazing with a Magic Trackpad.
It really is, love the trackpad with my Smart Keyboard...luckily the old keyboard works fine with the 2020 iPad Pro.

Comment

Cosmosent

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Apple decided to go with a 10 Mpx image sensor for the Ultra Wide.

Anybody know why ???

I suspect it has BIGGER pixels than the 12 Mpx, but here I'm just guessing.

It offers a slightly wider field of view vs the 12 Mpx (125 degrees vs 120 degrees).

If it is ultimately determined to have BIGGER pixels than the 12 Mpx, then I predict we'll ALSO see it in future Telephoto implementations.

Here, it would be a very good fit & an important Step Up from the current 1.0 um implementation !

Comment

Freida

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2010
A14X chip is great, mini led is awesome too but stronger aluminium is a must too.
In fact, A14X and stronger aluminium = instant buy for me.
Until the structural weakness is addressed I am not buying one even though I really want one. My Air 2 is really showing its age so I'm so eager to get a new one. :)

That’s up to you but the major update will basically be mini led and a14x chip the rest will be the same most likely...the chips on the iPads are lighting fast so going from this chip to a14x I’m not sure in real world usage it will be that massive.
[automerge]1585419241[/automerge]
unfortunately does - regardless of what some think/say the iPad is just not as strong as the previous models and for that reason I hope Apple will do the right thing and puts 7000 series in. Thats literally all it takes

Does it still bend?

Comment

Jury

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2020
Early 2020 IPP worth the update if Apple fixes it with 8GB of RAM .

Comment

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016

Come on now, that is just not true. It's OK to be disappointed in this refresh, but no need to say stuff that is false. The only difference is the camera? Really?

Comment

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015

Thanks wannabe engineer. This isn’t lazy. There are exactly 0 apps that can approach taking the full power of the previous processor, let alone with an extra GPU core enabled. The new thermal design allows for the extra core to be enabled. Perhaps they were working with limited resources because of the pandemic’s effects on the supply line? No matter how you spin it, this is an impressive piece of hardware and calling it lazy from the sidelines is ridiculous
[automerge]1585420095[/automerge]
Early 2020 IPP worth the update if Apple fixes it with 8GB of RAM .
Why? Explain, IN EXACT TERMS, how 8 GB of RAM would allow for any performance gains over 6 with the apps in the App Store

Comment

MauiPa

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2018
F
Forgetting about WiFi 6, more ram and Lower prices of course. Damn that lazy Apple. Imagine why weren’t people rushing to develop and manufacture a new soc with all the factories closed down? Terrible
[automerge]1585422074[/automerge]
E
Fixed that for you. There's nothing impressive in 2020 about this, as a 2018 iPad Pro owner.
xcept it beats all the other tablets out there and is faster than most laptops.

Comment

Bandaman

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2019
Thanks wannabe engineer. This isn’t lazy. There are exactly 0 apps that can approach taking the full power of the previous processor, let alone with an extra GPU core enabled. The new thermal design allows for the extra core to be enabled. Perhaps they were working with limited resources because of the pandemic’s effects on the supply line? No matter how you spin it, this is an impressive piece of hardware and calling it lazy from the sidelines is ridiculous
[automerge]1585420095[/automerge]

Why? Explain, IN EXACT TERMS, how 8 GB of RAM would allow for any performance gains over 6 with the apps in the App Store
Big projects in Adobe, 4K video editing, etc. There are productivity apps that use everything the iPad Pro has ... and that's exactly what it's designed for. No, Angry Birds isn't going to tax the system ... but real productivity work always will.

Reactions: Jamalien
Comment

MauiPa

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2018
A14X chip is great, mini led is awesome too but stronger aluminium is a must too.
In fact, A14X and stronger aluminium = instant buy for me.
Until the structural weakness is addressed I am not buying one even though I really want one. My Air 2 is really showing its age so I'm so eager to get a new one. :)

[automerge]1585419241[/automerge]
unfortunately does - regardless of what some think/say the iPad is just not as strong as the previous models and for that reason I hope Apple will do the right thing and puts 7000 series in. Thats literally all it takes
Hey I’ll fix the whole whiney thread, buy an otter box case and be happy!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.