2020 iPhones Could Feature Fast 120Hz 'ProMotion' Displays

dz5b609

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2019

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I never had the issue that scrolling on an iPhone wasn't smooth enough. An the new iPad pro doesn't look much better than my old iPad either. Not sure it's worth to invest in this. This will drive the iPhone prices up even more.

Reactions: HiRez

dz5b609

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2019
Number of people buying this years iPhone...12
Lol, I think you're overestimating the importance of features on a new iPhone. They could just do a spec bump and it would still sell about the same (give or take a couple of percent) as last year's iPhone.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Lol, I think you're overestimating the importance of features on a new iPhone. They could just do a spec bump and it would still sell about the same (give or take a couple of percent) as last year's iPhone.
Im betting not. People that wanted a new redesign phone either bought the X or the XS lines. I don't see a camera bump upgrade alone selling many phones besides the people that really need one or the super rare that always want the latest and greatest. Im betting if we get what we see apple will not produce as many as prior years.

Cosmosent

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Combine that with the capability to capture Full-Res 12 Mpx photos @ 120 fps & then they've got something really significant !

il_teo77

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015
Interesing. But I guess the next series of innovations will happen more and more on the software side of things. Artificial Intelligence, AR (which, in my opinion, has been nothing more than a gimmick on phones up to now), Voice assistants, software assisted camera tech and so on and so forth. Smartphones have reached, faster than computers, a point to which they are "really good" for a couple of years. No one will spend for a new Bionic chip or improved camera or 120 HZ screen if the software doesn't provide SIGNIFICANTLY better experience. I own an iPhone X, other than some more effects on portrait mode, there's really nothing that screamed "buy me" in the iPhone XS. Yes, opening apps is a millisecond faster, yes, unlocking is a millisecond faster (although iOS 13 up to now already provides a better unlock responsiveness than previously on my iPhone X). So... Apple better get to work on SIRI, MEANINGFUL AUGMENTED REALITY, WATERPROOFING, SCRATCH PROOFING, UI (home screen is still useless and some aspects of iOS 13 are still a mess (left swipe and you see what i mean), ADAPTIVE UI (not only dark mode, but a UI that adapts based on time of day, location, context). When at work i want mails and calendar to be all over the place, on weekends i want camera, camera roll, maps to be at the center of the stage... I want a phone that "changes" according to the time of day and location instead of me having to jiggle apps around, notifications that become more or less prominent according to where I am. "It has been a while since you last stepped on a balance" "why don't you go for a walk?", WHO CARES WHEN I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A MEETING?

myapple2019

macrumors member
May 10, 2019
Im betting not. People that wanted a new redesign phone either bought the X or the XS lines. I don't see a camera bump upgrade alone selling many phones besides the people that really need one or the super rare that always want the latest and greatest. Im betting if we get what we see apple will not produce as many as prior years.
Count me as one of the people who will not buy a new iPhone just because of better camera. For some, better camera will be the main reason to upgrade. Fortunately, I am not in that better camera enthusiast group.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
But not on OLED which is literally said in the article, maybe learn to read before commenting...
Asus has 120Hz OLED, just announced. OnePlus has 90Hz OLED available for a few months already. Others will be following later this year. If this is for 2020, Apple is more than fashionable late to the party. Again. They're not changing the smartphone market with it as stated in the article, they're following.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Asus has 120Hz OLED, just announced. OnePlus has 90Hz OLED available for a few months already. Others will be following later this year. If this is for 2020, Apple is more than fashionable late to the party. Again. They're not changing the smartphone market with it as stated in the article, they're following.
No thanks.

Asus can keep their 10mm brick.

And some claim the iPhone 11 to be ugly.

NoFace1006

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
United Kingdom
Redesign + 120hz + 5G sounds too ambitious for apple in such short period of time.
Why? You do realise that each phone is years in development. They don't release a new iPhone and then spend the next 12 months working on next years iPhone from scratch. By the time this years iPhone is announced work will be pretty much complete on the 2020 iPhone.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Wow! Films will look like soap operas. :rolleyes: Hopefully that feature can be disabled for film playback?
This isn't really how high-refresh panels work. What you're describing is a smoothing feature that TV manufacturers love to enable by default, but this just isn't a thing on high-refresh monitors. I have a 144hz gaming display and YouTube videos still play at 30fps. It's all based on the source content; and I'm sure Apple will drop to 60hz for full-screen video to conserve battery life.

Reactions: ErikGrim