Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Wow, that is unbelievable. I wonder if the players who participated (ran messages, banged on the garbage cans, etc.) will be held accountable.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Wow, that is unbelievable. I wonder if the players who participated (ran messages, banged on the garbage cans, etc.) will be held accountable.
Doubt it.
I will not assess discipline against individual Astros players. I made the decision in September 2017 that I would hold a Club’s General Manager and Field Manager accountable for misconduct of this kind, and I will not depart from that decision. Assessing discipline of players for this type of conduct is both difficult and impractical. It is difficult because virtually all of the Astros’ players had some involvement or knowledge of the scheme, and I am not in a position based on the investigative record to determine with any degree of certainty every player who should be held accountable, or their relative degree of culpability. It is impractical given the large number of players involved, and the fact that many of those players now play for other Clubs.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Honestly, the fines so far support what I wrote above about punishments in this cheating scandal.

If the $5mil Astros sets the universe of what the MLB things is punitive for this cheating scantal, then it's not going to be effective at preventing future cheating at all.

Red Sox revenue is $500+mil / year recently. If the fine is 7 figures, the Sox can probably pay it in Ortiz jersey sales alone.

$5 million is the highest fine MLB can issue. If they could fine them higher, they probably would.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
No Sox fan here. Concerned Cora might get slashed over the sign stealing bodangle. But I’m excited for Chaim‘s future off season moves.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
$5 million is the highest fine MLB can issue. If they could fine them higher, they probably would.
I didn't know that. So we know for sure Red Sox won't be fined more than $5m then, right?

I bet they lose 1 or 2 draft picks and otherwise Cora is banned for a number of years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Cora might get a lifetime ban.
I don't think lifetime, but he definitely ought to get more than Hinch. I still think since he's been implicated in Houston and being investigated for the same thing in Boston, John Henry needs to fire him now.

I will give the owner credit for stating he's going above what MLB handed out and fired both of them. He did the right thing getting out in front of it. Admitting it and stating he has higher standards.

Even if he doesn't get a lifetime ban, I will say it will be a long time before another organization will let him into the dugout

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't think lifetime, but he definitely ought to get more than Hinch. I still think since he's been implicated in Houston and being investigated for the same thing in Boston, John Henry needs to fire him now.

Agreed. Boston should get out in front of this.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
They need to wait for Manfred to rule first. Otherwise they have to pay Cora. I bet they can get out of his contract once discipline is given.

Makes sense. Gotta suck being Cora right now. Knowing the the ax is going to fall, but not knowing the severity of it.

On ESPN's First Take this morning, Stephen A. Smith basically demands that Houston be stripped of its World Series title, and I certainly agree 100% with that. What's really pathetic is that Houston has PLENTY of talent, yet needs to resort to cheating.

And as a resident of a town just south of Seattle, I can attest to their talent, as they always dominate the Mariners (and other teams in that division).

Reactions: jbachandouris

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
On ESPN's First Take this morning, Stephen A. Smith basically demands that Houston be stripped of its World Series title, and I certainly agree 100% with that.

I agree with the request. We're not talking about one or two individuals (which would be enough) cheating in one or two games (which would be enough). We're talking about a systematic, designed, almost scientific way of cheating.

What's really pathetic is that Houston has PLENTY of talent, yet needs to resort to cheating.

Agreed. What a mess.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I know it won’t happen but MLB should have the balls to suspend the Astros for an entire season, and suspend all the players involved for at least one season.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Looks like Cora is gone as he should be

I wonder when MLB is going to drop the...

ban hammer.jpg

on Cora?

Reactions: maflynn

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I know it won’t happen but MLB should have the balls to suspend the Astros for an entire season, and suspend all the players involved for at least one season.
The union would never allow it. Plus it would really screw the schedule. That would have to be done a year out before they make out scheduling.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
The union would never allow it.

Well, union has to realize that it's exactly this type of behavior that turns fans off. Baseball is already suffering, and now this?

Plus it would really screw the schedule. That would have to be done a year out before they make out scheduling.

Good point. Then have the Astros begin the season 5 GB.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Well, union has to realize that it's exactly this type of behavior that turns fans off. Baseball is already suffering, and now this?

Good point. Then have the Astros begin the season 5 GB.
The interesting thing will be what their record is this year. If they win 90+ without cheating or only 60.

Reactions: jbachandouris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.