Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has picked up a third new television show, placing a straight-to-series order for a space drama developed by Ronald D. Moore, known for his work on shows like "Battlestar Galactica," "Caprica," "Helix," and "Outlander," reports Deadline.

The show, which "explores what would have happened if the global space race had never ended," comes from Sony Pictures Television and Moore's Tall Ship Productions. It was created and written by Moore and "Fargo" co-executive producers Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi.

battlestargalactica-800x476.jpg

The new space drama is Apple's third series that's in development. Apple in October inked a deal with Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television and Comcast's NBC Universal to create new episodes of sci-fi series "Amazing Stories." "Amazing Stories," created by Spielberg, originally ran on NBC from 1985 to 1987.

In November, Apple picked up an untitled "morning show drama" that will star Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston as morning talk show hosts, examining the cutthroat world of morning TV.

Apple's original content push is being led by former Sony executives Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, who joined Apple in June of 2017. Van Amburg and Erlicht, who produced shows like "Breaking Bad," "The Crown," and "Better Call Saul," are running Apple's video programming efforts on a worldwide scale under iTunes chief Eddy Cue.

Apple has been steadily building out its video team in recent months as it continues to pick up shows to better compete with companies like Netflix and Amazon.

Article Link: Apple Signs Deal for Space Drama From Battlestar Galactica Developer Ronald D. Moore

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Excellent.

Now maybe they can spend even MORE time not fixing their buggy software before wide release.

Seriously, quit while you're ahead with the knockoff carpool karaoke no one already watches.
Do you understand at all how this works? They bought the rights to a show. Not one of the coders responsible for fixing bugs in iOS have a single thing to do with this show being made.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Excellent.

Now maybe they can spend even MORE time not fixing their buggy software before wide release.

Seriously, quit while you're ahead with the knockoff carpool karaoke no one already watches.

Yeah, it was a pretty weird move to fire all the software engineers when they hired people who have a completely unrelated skill set and are doing a completely unrelated thing.

Wait. They didn’t do that.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Do you understand at all how this works? They bought the rights to a show. Not one of the coders responsible for fixing bugs in iOS have a single thing to do with this show being made.

Eddie Cue: "You, dude writing code. Stop that and come over here. You are now a key grip. You, gal doing QA, you are now a camera operator."

It could happen...

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
When Apple started getting into producing their own content, one of the main objections was, "this content is awful - it may be well produced, but they're bad shows" (I have no firsthand opinion, as I never watched them, though I hear they were bad). Now they're patiently lining up the pieces to make *much* better shows. You can like or dislike the Battlestar Galactica reboot, but it was a compelling story told with bold strokes.

This bodes well for Apple as a content producer. Presumably it's not an either/or choice whether to make computers or shows, they're big enough to do both without crossing the streams. (The one crossover that might be fun is if the lead-in silly video before WWDC gets done by the in-house pros.)

jlseattle

Cancelled
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
Apple should just stay in the product and software production market. Stay out of the content creation business. The crap they have created, if anything, has ruined a franchise (like carpool karaoke). I don't have confidence that they are going to be able to produce good content that is engaging.

I love battlestar but don't have hopes for something new. I would rather see them partnering with Netflix studio and announce a collaboration with Netflix studios, Apple and this guy. My confidence level would go way up.
[doublepost=1513363946][/doublepost]BTW I really gave the Apple carpool karaoke a try but somehow they ruined it.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Excellent.

Dude, this is the least intelligent logic possible. It’s never do this or that for a company the size of Apple. They have PLENTY of resources for software development and literally anything else they want to do.

It’s not like they can’t hire software developers because they are working on shows. Don’t be so dense.

The issues with any department are usually not due to a lack of resources. It could be process, hiring the wrong people, bad leadership, or even just not an issue like you think it is in reality. Have they had some problems? Yes...but the vocal minority doesn’t speak for Apples billions of users. I guarantee the average person has no idea about the root bug or that there were some iOS 11 issues. iOS 11.2.1 seems good to me and I follow Apple closely. They fix issues quickly and frequently if needed.

Give Android a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.