Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
The only problem is, BSG as aired wouldn't really fall into that whole category that was mentioned a while back about how the shows Apple is producing need to be family-friendly enough to display in the Apple Store. The BSG reboot while excellent, was at most times not something I'd call family-friendly.

Might be cool but given the directive for family-friendly I can imagine Apple will have all kinds of other items they insist on, and the creative guys while chafe at the restrictions and we'll end up with shows with high turnover in the production end.

Reactions: bodonnell202

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
Battlestar Galactica? Is that the same TV show from the early 1980's? It was hysterically funny for adults but my serious 7 year old loved it. Haven't watched much TV since because of family & work getting in the way. Now that I'm retired I've tried to watch more TV and movies but sadly, I keep laughing at the acting.
Apple creating fiction? They should merge their entertainment division with their product marketing division.;)

Reactions: kwikdeth

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
You know, I'll give it a shot based off the first two seasons of Galactica. It jumped the shark hardcore after New Caprica, but hey, I don't know whether this guy had anything to do with the mistakes that happened there.

Reactions: neliason

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Battlestar Galactica? Is that the same TV show from the early 1980's? It was hysterically funny for adults but my serious 7 year old loved it. Haven't watched much TV since because of family & work getting in the way. Now that I'm retired I've tried to watch more TV and movies but sadly, I keep laughing at the acting.
Apple creating fiction? They should merge their entertainment division with their product marketing division.;)
you should watch the new one ;) It's the best sci fi that has ever been screened on TV!

Reactions: riverfreak

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Starbuck and Starbuck drinking Starbucks in a Starbucks.

i-need-to-sit-down-for-this-one.jpg
And you win this comment thread.

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
Don't forget Ronald D. Moore also has Producer/Executive Producer credits on Star Trek: TNG, DS9, and Voyager, as well as numerous writing credits for Star Trek episodes and movies.

Reactions: CoronaOrange

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Last edited:
Reactions: jhfenton and D.T.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
It’s nice to have so much money that you can just throw money at anything and see what sticks.

You're confusing Apple with Samsung. Moore is a solid bet. He's hardly tossing spaghetti at the wall while copying other TV drama. I'm looking forward to the resulting show, TBH.

dypeterc

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012
Do you understand at all how this works? They bought the rights to a show. Not one of the coders responsible for fixing bugs in iOS have a single thing to do with this show being made.
Right. Because tv producers write iOS/MacOS code. Most people have no concept of logic and critical thinking.

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Do you understand at all how this works? They bought the rights to a show. Not one of the coders responsible for fixing bugs in iOS have a single thing to do with this show being made.

No, it's about where Apple's priorities are. They should be spending that money on either hiring more/better coders.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And that show still around? That is from when I was a kid in the 80's? with the flying motorcycles... and it was cheesy enough even by that time.
Not the same show.
[doublepost=1513371814][/doublepost]
No, it's about where Apple's priorities are. They should be spending that money on either hiring more/better coders.
And they can still do that regardless of this.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Amazing Stories was a killer show!
I know - these sound great! Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but what do you have to do to watch an Apple production? Buy it from iTunes? Watch it on an AppleTV? Subscribe to Apple Music and somehow download a video? I honestly don't know, and I'm curious - I'd hate to miss out. Unless it costs too much.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I think you misspelled Babylon 5. Or maybe Firefly.
Those two and BSG rank amongst the most compelling long-form SciFi. They're all terrific, in different ways. No clear winner (I think of the 3 my heart belongs to Firefly - such amazing dialog/interplay between the characters, such a tragedy that idiot executives wasted its potential, Joss had given them Buffy, Firefly could have gone 5 seasons.)

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I don’t care if they signed Spielberg, to me it’s throwing money at projects to see what works. What else is it?

Well, ANY new venture is "throwing money at a project to see what works". No one can know for sure what will succeed and what won't. You take your chances, and hope that the result clicks with your audience.

My argument is that Moore is a proven successful producer of high-quality television that a lot of people really like, myself included. I don't see him as nearly as much of a risk by way of success as some they could have chosen. In my thinking this is less a random 'throwing of money' at something because you've got a ton to throw than it is a pretty decent investment of cash with a high probability that it'll all come back (and bring some friends when it does).

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Not the same show.
[doublepost=1513371814][/doublepost]
And they can still do that regardless of this.

OK, this is based on NO FACTS at all, just stories I've heard about Apple Culture, so this really has no place on this forum, but from just this unsubstantiated view, I think Apple's main problem is they have a thing against "B-teams". Apple prides itself on having just "A-Teams" and spreading them as thinly as possible. So if one project is a priority, they're off on a different one. "A-Teams" are great for new product design and pushing new limits, but they are notoriously horrible at fixing bugs, hitting deadlines, prioritizing ease of use, getting to other people's needs - they really don't enjoy that stuff in the first place. "B-Teams" get no glory at all, but they get stuff done. They will spend all year turning the stuff the A-teamers crank out into stable code with extra features users want. While the A-Teams frantically run about implementing new stuff.

But honestly, the "A-Team" theory can't explain why Apple software so rapidly devolved after Steve Jobs died. I think there the answer is that Steve Jobs was a powerful representative of the average user, whereas the current executives simply are not. If there was a massive bug, or a feature or design that would totally annoy us, it would most of the time really annoy Steve, and there'd be hell to pay. Maybe now the only voice left is Johnny saying "make it thinner! Remove more of its functionality!" At least Tim Cook started out well by apologizing for the state of Apple Maps. But it hasn't followed through. I honestly believe Apple executives when they say they are surprised at the public's negative reaction to their designs.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
SciFi Shows I miss are BSG, Caprica, Farscape and Firefly sadly we SyFylus where people enjoy garbage like todays politics.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Yawn. Let's not forget that this is Apple we're talking about here. Let's see how Apple's famously heavy-handed approach to "family friendly" content comes into play. If Apple allows people to create more adult-themed shows ala GoT, BB, etc then they might have something. If it's business as usual (which I strongly suspect it will be) then this venture into original programming will be as DOA as the trash can Mac Pro was.
[doublepost=1513372946][/doublepost]
Because the people working on these shows have ANYTHING to do with what you're complaining about?
Because Apple is putting it's resources into crap like this when their software is so buggy and their hardware is trash.

Reactions: Sandstorm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.