Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently hired Steve MacManus, a former Tesla executive in charge of engineering for car exteriors and interiors, reports Bloomberg.

MacManus joined Tesla at 2015 and has also worked at Jaguar Land Rover, Bentley Motors, and Aston Martin. According to his LinkedIn profile, MacManus is now a "Senior Director" at Apple, with no additional information provided.

teslainterior-800x450.jpg

While his interior design skills are applicable to Apple's car team, Bloomberg believes he could also be working on other projects at Apple, beyond the development of a car. Apple is widely believed to be working on a self-driving electric vehicle project, though given the myriad rumors about it over the years, it continues to be unclear what Apple's ultimate goal is.

For some time, rumors suggested Apple had shelved plans for a physical car and was instead focusing on software, but last year, there were again hints that Apple is planning on designing its own vehicle, which Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said could launch in 2023 to 2025.

Apple and Tesla regularly hire each other's employees, and have been embroiled in hiring wars for years now. Apple in the last year has hired former Tesla drive systems vice president Michael Schwekutsch and former Tesla chief vehicle engineer Doug Field.

Article Link: Apple Hires Former Tesla Engineering VP With Expertise in Car Interiors

Reactions: Macbooks Rock

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I thought that until I bought one.
Should have bought a German car. All-around better design and interior.

Apple should have taking an exec from Audi, Merc, or BMW.
[doublepost=1563826957][/doublepost]
Though sometimes dinged for fit/finish, they’re hardly junk.
Their design and execution are below Apple, honestly.

You would have to look at a pretty upscale brand to get Apple quality execution.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Should have bought a German car. All-around better design and interior.

Apple should have taking an exec from Audi, Merc, or BMW.
[doublepost=1563826957][/doublepost]
Their design and execution are below Apple, honestly.

You would have to look at a pretty upscale brand to get Apple quality execution.

So true, an Apple Car would be pancaked before the accident so it could look thinner, would overheat, and the buttons would stick or double press all of the time, and would only charge via a lightning cable.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Headphones? Ok
Watch? Ok
Cellphone? Ok
Steaming video? Ok
Credit card? Ok
Car? Will never happen. It'll be like waiting for nuclear fusion--- always several years away

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You really think Apple would do better designing and manufacturing their first car... that is, if Apple even makes one.
There's a legitimate argument to be made that they should have contracted out Honda or Toyota to make their cars. They should DEFINITELY NOT be manufacturing. They should contract out a manufacturer to fabricate their car. And when I say "manufacturer" I mean an established one.

Both of their execution philosophies are on par with Apple's. They could contract out Toyota and make incredible autonomous electric vehicles.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Probably not better, no.

The first iPhone was good but not great, if Apple ever releases a car it will be ok, design wise it might be the greatest design ever but there will be problems, maybe even major ones.

There's a legitimate argument to be made that they should have contracted out Honda or Toyota to make their cars. They should DEFINITELY NOT be manufacturing. They should contract out a manufacturer to fabricate their car. And when I say "manufacturer" I mean an established one.

Both of their execution philosophies are on par with Apple's. They could contract out Toyota and make incredible autonomous electric vehicles.

I am aware Apple outsources manufacturing, still I think their first car will have quality issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.