Apple Hires Former Tesla Engineering VP With Expertise in Car Interiors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple recently hired Steve MacManus, a former Tesla executive in charge of engineering for car exteriors and interiors, reports Bloomberg.

MacManus joined Tesla at 2015 and has also worked at Jaguar Land Rover, Bentley Motors, and Aston Martin. According to his LinkedIn profile, MacManus is now a "Senior Director" at Apple, with no additional information provided.

[​IMG]

While his interior design skills are applicable to Apple's car team, Bloomberg believes he could also be working on other projects at Apple, beyond the development of a car. Apple is widely believed to be working on a self-driving electric vehicle project, though given the myriad rumors about it over the years, it continues to be unclear what Apple's ultimate goal is.

For some time, rumors suggested Apple had shelved plans for a physical car and was instead focusing on software, but last year, there were again hints that Apple is planning on designing its own vehicle, which Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said could launch in 2023 to 2025.

Apple and Tesla regularly hire each other's employees, and have been embroiled in hiring wars for years now. Apple in the last year has hired former Tesla drive systems vice president Michael Schwekutsch and former Tesla chief vehicle engineer Doug Field.

Article Link: Apple Hires Former Tesla Engineering VP With Expertise in Car Interiors

2. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

I cannot wait to see the price of Apple Car Pro. I am sure even if I started saving now I would not be able to afford it.

3. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

4. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

Oh, come on.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

5. SDJim macrumors member

SDJim

Hurry up and announce a joint venture already, sheesh! :rolleyes:

6. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Yet some still refuse to believe Apple is making a car.

7. cmaier Suspended

Yes they are

8. kanki1985 macrumors member

It's a goose?

9. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Even if you could afford it, you wouldn’t necessarily be able to buy one. Apple may not be making a vehicle that will be marketed to consumers.

10. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Apparently Bloomberg thinks so; I mean, what else would the interior/exterior vehicle vp of engineering—whose previous positions were at Jaguar Land Rover, Bentley Motors, and Aston Martin—be working on? He’s obviously designing the interior/exterior of the new MBP keyboard.

11. Trhodezy macrumors 6502

I thought that until I bought one.

12. PickUrPoison, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019

PickUrPoison macrumors 601

Though sometimes dinged for fit/finish, they’re hardly junk.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Should have bought a German car. All-around better design and interior.

Apple should have taking an exec from Audi, Merc, or BMW.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2019 ---
    Their design and execution are below Apple, honestly.

You would have to look at a pretty upscale brand to get Apple quality execution.

14. sfrancis928 macrumors member

I hear nothing but praise for Teslas from online reviews and drivers I know personally.

15. anaudiopro macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

This is so stupid! Focus on computers!!

16. dguisinger macrumors 6502a

So true, an Apple Car would be pancaked before the accident so it could look thinner, would overheat, and the buttons would stick or double press all of the time, and would only charge via a lightning cable.

17. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

You really think Apple would do better designing and manufacturing their first car... that is, if Apple even makes one.

18. jardinager macrumors regular

jardinager

Build quality is certainly lacking on most models. This is from my experience driving a couple myself over the last couple of years. Sorry, just my opinion.

19. now i see it macrumors 68040

Headphones? Ok
    Watch? Ok
    Cellphone? Ok
    Steaming video? Ok
    Credit card? Ok
    Car? Will never happen. It'll be like waiting for nuclear fusion--- always several years away

20. jardinager macrumors regular

jardinager

Probably not better, no.

21. scamper macrumors newbie

Here is my opinion, which is the only actual truth: Tesla interiors aren’t that great as far as aesthetic consistency, use of materials, etc. The best commercial interiors will be found in Audi cars. I have spoken, and the conversation is thus over.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

There's a legitimate argument to be made that they should have contracted out Honda or Toyota to make their cars. They should DEFINITELY NOT be manufacturing. They should contract out a manufacturer to fabricate their car. And when I say "manufacturer" I mean an established one.

Both of their execution philosophies are on par with Apple's. They could contract out Toyota and make incredible autonomous electric vehicles.

23. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

The first iPhone was good but not great, if Apple ever releases a car it will be ok, design wise it might be the greatest design ever but there will be problems, maybe even major ones.

I am aware Apple outsources manufacturing, still I think their first car will have quality issues.

24. mrt209 macrumors 6502

The interior is literally the worst part about Tesla...

25. sfrancis928 macrumors member

Don't be rude. Clearly they had their reasons for buying a Tesla and are happy with their choice.