Apple Hires Former Tesla Engineering VP With Expertise in Car Interiors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I think Apple is going to sell a van service, not a car.
    Self driving, private, can fit a group meeting, can facilitate a group meeting.
    They own it, they rent it again and again and or do subscription models.
    You could deploy them as mass transit in places where there isn't.
    Lots of opportunities for money in multiple markets.

2. PickUrPoison, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019

PickUrPoison Suspended

Based on what I’ve heard about Musk, I’m pretty sure he got exactly the interior he wanted. But true, they’re not up to the standards of the best luxury cars; sometimes he’s his own worst enemy.

3. jerryk macrumors 601

They are spartan, but comfortable. But the spartan part is in keeping with Tesla minimalist design, sort of like like Scandinavian furniture. Also, the design saves money. No need to have a lot of knobs and dials that have to be installed and spares stocked. Changing software is relatively cheap compared to having boxes of spare parts that may never get sold sitting on shelves in a warehouse.

4. hobocamp456 macrumors member

Dear god why? Tesla interiors are garbage. That’s why I gave mine up.

5. cmaier macrumors G5

My car before my Model S was a Boxster. I own an X3.

Tesla is a better car than either of those by far.

6. maxfromdenmark macrumors regular

maxfromdenmark

I have a new shiny Volvo XC40 and not waiting for the Apple car but a TV from Apple is still high on my wish list.

7. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

Anyone hating on Tesla in this thread is hilarious. In the last 5 years, Tesla has been 10x more innovative than Apple has been. Apple is lucky to have anyone from that company.

8. jerryk macrumors 601

As another BMW X3 owner I agree. My 2016 has just about every option BMW had and it feels quaint when I drive it. The only thing it has I wish my Tesla had is the BMW HUD. BMW has one of the best HUDs in the business!!

9. Lepton macrumors 6502a

Lepton

I love Teslas but hate the minimalistic, utilitarian dashboard. Don't copy it!

10. anthogag macrumors regular

An Apple EV car-SUV-hybrid could use an iPhone for speedometer and map directions.

The rest could be Siri + a large rotating dial in the middle to adjust hvac and radio/music. An iPad in the centre console could attract thieves.

11. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

Latest MCU? Do you mean HW3? MCU is different from the AP hardware.

Current AP software that's in your car right now is not representative of all the work that the AP and Tesla Vision teams have been working on for the past several years. It only represents a limited subset of functions that Tesla sees as viable for public use. There's probably 2 years worth of features that you have yet to experience because it's not enabled on the current firmware yet. Things like reading parking signs, stop signs, special road markings, path prediction, bike lane detection, street intersection detection, curb detection, parking navigation, and etc...have yet to be made for public use.

My Model 3 works wonders even on the AP2.5 chip and that's only working at half the resolution and limited dynamic range.

12. PickUrPoison Suspended

You might have to let that one go :eek: :) Even Gene Munster (finally) gave up on an Apple-branded television—and in 2015!

13. mi7chy, Jul 22, 2019

mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

How much of this hiring is to boost the stock price vs actual product development? My bet is on stock boost but we'll find out in a few years. Potentially tens of billion in market cap increase or more far outweigh the ~$200K in pay compensation over a course of a year. Wouldn't be surprised if it evolves from Apple Computers Inc to Apple Inc to Apple Financial Inc.

14. elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

Given Teslas are held together with bubblegum, not sure this is a good hire.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Part of it is they don’t have any money and owe a mountain, too

Hopefully a company like VAG buys them and puts them under real management with an actual budget

16. leesmith2 macrumors member

THRILLED with the choice, actually! Love that car.

17. PictorGuy macrumors newbie

PictorGuy

Tesla interiors are horrible. I like the minimalist look but they just went the cheap route and called it minimalist. There is absolutely NO reason the rear passengers should ask the driver to turn on the rear heated seats unless you're too cheap to through in buttons into the rear seats.

18. radiologyman, Jul 22, 2019

radiologyman macrumors 6502a

Apple's motto is not enter industry unless they can significantly improve it. Looks like Apple is putting serious money into project Titan. Car industry is huge and ripe for disruption. I have to give Musk, he was able to push electric and self driving vehicles forward, but Apple will do better when they ready to bring it to market. I think Apple may be planning to sell solutions to car manufacturers that will translate in huge new market akin to CarPlay now offered by different car makers. This will expand Apple ecosystem to a whole new level.

19. mistasopz macrumors 6502

Knowing Apple, the car would come with only one pedal like a golf cart because it's "simpler" or something :D

20. kyleh22 macrumors 6502

kyleh22

I think this is personal preference but most data I see suggests that people prefer Tesla to German. Here's a link to the top hit on google that shows Tesla is selling more vehicles. https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/2...les-in-usa-continue-to-taunt-bmw-audi-others/

21. cmaier macrumors G5

When I first got my model S (long ago before it was changed by software update) you pretty much drove it with just the accelerator. When you took your foot off it braked hard. I miss that.

22. BGPL macrumors regular

BGPL

I wonder how much Apple is wast.... I mean spending on this? If they actually release a vehicle, that would be a well kept secret.

23. Tech198, Jul 22, 2019

Tech198 macrumors G5

I reckon the Apple car is still a project...Your wouldn't hire people with experience in car interiors if all your focus on was the software side

But i guess by muddling the waters, keeps users guessing. It's still 'best kept secret (unless you start saying 'all these hires are fake')

24. tothemoonsands, Jul 22, 2019

tothemoonsands macrumors member

tothemoonsands

I have a theory that the AppleCar won't be available for consumer purchase, rather, it will be a subscription model like Uber. You will have access to their entire fleet in every city they operate in. All dialed in to perfection within Apple Ecosystem: Summon the vehicle via Siri, input your destination via Apple Maps, play your Apple Music or Apple TV in the car, etc etc.

25. cmaier macrumors G5

Think of the UPS charges Apple can save just on shipping iPhones to my house in their automated cars!