24" LED Cinema Display ship date?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by WilliamG, Nov 2, 2008.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

exact date

Hi guys...any body knows when exactly on November they are going to release it. :confused:

4. rosler28 macrumors newbie

I want to know as well and am surprised they haven't announced a date yet.

5. jamestemroot macrumors member

apple store regent street just claimed that they have them...so i guess they're filtering in now

6. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

VIP info

i just called apple store, the agent told me that these displays will work only with the NEW mac laptops with mini displayport. meaning it won't work with old versions of macbook! there is no adaptor for minidvi!! i think i will be buying the hd cinema display instead.

7. andrealynn0908 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't necessarily call that VIP info. Most people on this forum already know that they are incompatible with anything but the new Macbook line.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Absolutely. ;)

Multiple posts in multiple threads can be found already. :eek: :p

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

What? The new MacBooks have DisplayPort ? .... :eek:

10. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

I went to the Apple store in Pleasanton, California and they had one on display. I asked them when it would be available, they said either the end of this week or early next week.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but not exactly. :(

It uses something called the Mini DisplayPort. Which is a proprietary connector applied to the DisplayPort standard.

So it isn't compatible with anything without the proper connector or adapter, if offered, to make it work. Just another means Apple's employed to extract more money out of Mac users. :rolleyes: :(

12. brentsg macrumors 68040

Anyone have a guess as to how long it'll be before Best Buy has stock on the 24" LED display? I'm stuck with $600 gift card there.

13. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Strange that you can't even pre-order it at the apple.com yet though.

14. andrealynn0908 macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same thing. :cool:

15. jamestemroot macrumors member

That's why i said "claimed", I might be heading over there later today. So I'll find out for sure

16. kyrosho macrumors newbie

if this is so, i will buy it immediately from it.

17. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

My local store has had them on display for weeks which is why I was suprised not to be able to even order one yet. Obviously they're already being produced. The only thing that makes sense is that they are holding the launch until they have a certain number in stock.

18. akm3 macrumors 68020

But, how much stock do they know they need if you can't even pre-order them?

Any news on this? I'd like to purchase two (one for home, one for work)

19. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I was at my local store yesterday and they're clueless as to when these will be available.

20. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Well this has been a point of contention since the thing was announced. According to an email I received from the sjobs@apple address, they will be compatible with DVI computers using a "simple adapter cable", however no such cable exists at present time and it is unknown whether or not Apple will be releasing one when they actually ship the display or leaving it up to a third party.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

Apple would likely have them made by an OEM. As the other models aren't out, and DVI is used on many desktop computers (Mac Pro), it seems likely they'd wait to release such a cable with the Mac Pro and/or the remaining new ACD's. So Jan. '09 seems likely ATM, barring info of delays.

22. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I saw one in my local Apple Store weeks ago and they specifically said all the demo's are preproduction models, and that there could be minor differences from shipping models. BTW IMHO the sound quality and volume was lacking, the cheap $99 Bose speakers, or any $50 iPod speaker would be better.

23. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I contacted CS yesterday and they told me they don't have a date. :rolleyes:

I told them I was waiting to purchase a MBP so Apple Care would cover both, but they didn't budge.

Does anyone know if there is an audio out on the monitor?

24. gibbz macrumors 68030

Yeah I was being sarcastic to u49aa2 :)

I just picked up a 2.4 GHz MacBook tonight and it is a bit frustrating that they change the video standard and fail to include even a basic VGA adapter.

The new monitors looked really good as my local Apple Store had a few on display. I might have to get one when they finally are released ... hopefully soon.

25. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool:
    Of course not. Apple wants your and every other Mac user's money. :rolleyes: ;)
    I haven't seen one yet, but the glare from glossy screens tends to give me headaches. :(

So I think I'll stick to anti-glare treated stuff. The money I'd save on Tylenol/Advil in a year would pay the difference I think. :p