25 Song Cap on iTunes Phone?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Forbes is reportiong that Apple and Motorola's plans for an iTunes enabled phone that has been long discussed may "underwhelm" due to a report that the phone is designed to accomodate just 25 songs.

According to one person who has reportedly seen the device:

The phone was equipped with a 128-megabyte Sandisk TransFlash memory card--just one-quarter the capacity of Apple's smallest iPod, the 512-megabyte shuffle, which holds about 120 songs.
Even with larger storage cards placed in the phone, "the phone's software appears to artificially cap song storage at 25 songs, regardless of how much memory the phone has."

Of course, this early report comes with many caveats... as this may not be the shipping version or there may be multiple versions to be announced. All eyes point to a September 7th Media event announced by Apple earlier this week.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I'm so sick of this phone, I just want it to come out so rumors about it will stop.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
so this isn't another 1000 songs in our pocket?

this phone smells so bad. its not going to do as well as Apple hope it will. its taking too long, your severely limited using phone flash memory (that thing will not have 1Gb)
i go cry now.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I'm telling you, all this hooplah is not about a MOTOROLA phone, it is about a new apple product, that they think has the potential for impact the same as the iPod.

Why would apple host a huge press event to show off a phone that has already been mentioned by Steve at WWDC this year, let alone one, not even made by apple? It's not in Apple's character, they like the impact of the big surprise this is something nobody knows about. Sure, they might talk about the phone, but it won't be the "one more thing"

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
25 songs eh? Hopefully that isn't true, just I'm with everyone else on this. I'm sick of it and just want to see it. I dont have Cingular, so i'm not getting the phone, but I think that it will bomb. I think peoples expectations of the phone are too high and will be disappointed.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The article says that it will have 1 Gb

raggedjimmi said:
(that thing will not have 1Gb)
Check the article - it says that it will have one Giga-bit.

Or do you mean GB ??

Note that a lower case "b" means "bit", and upper case "B" means "byte". You might want to fix your signature....

erickg

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
Laslo Panaflex said:
I'm telling you, all this hooplah is not about a MOTOROLA phone, it is about a new apple product, that they think has the potential for impact the same as the iPod.

Why would apple host a huge press event to show off a phone that has already been mentioned by Steve at WWDC this year, let alone one, not even made by apple? It's not in Apple's character, they like the impact of the big surprise this is something nobody knows about. Sure, they might talk about the phone, but it won't be the "one more thing"
I completely agree. They wouldn't have such a big event with such a huge teaser and show off a phone that has a cap of 25 songs. Come on! On the other hand, I really don't believe Apple would agree to a partnership with Motorola if the phone was going to have such limitations. It would just reflect poorly on Apple.

One thing I am sure of (and I'll probably eat my words next week) is that the product they are announcing is going to be something big and isn't the phone.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Ja Di ksw said:
I'm so sick of this phone, I just want it to come out so rumors about it will stop.
HA!

So many people HATE THIS PHONE and it hasn't even been released!

Worst. Rumor. Ever.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Perhaps instead of 25 full songs we should have 20-second clips from a couple hundred songs. That would take about the same amount of storage. Then you could use them as ring tones or listen to your music collection in a tenth of the time!

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
erickg said:
One thing I am sure of (and I'll probably eat my words next week) is that the product they are announcing is going to be something big and isn't the phone.
That's funny. I figure the exact opposite. Sept 7 will bring the phone, nothing more, nothing less. I do doubt that they'd cap it at 25 songs artificially, and I still think that many of the rumors about the phone will be shown to be wrong, but my belief is the phone is all you'll see.

And at least I won't be disappointed if I'm wrong...

paboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2005
Well, I doubt Apple is announcing the Motorola Phone at their media blitz. They are announcing something else new I would bet. Why? Well Motorola announced they are holding their own press conference in NY to launch the iTunes phone with a lot of hoopla! Musicians performing and what not. Why would Apple be announcing the phone that morning if Motorola is doing it that evening?

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets//september-7-your-lucky-day-123212.php

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
I'm betting that the 25 song cap is for a Motorola phone that simply has iTunes software. At the same time this is released, we'll see another phone-type product (cellPod, iPhone, or perhaps simply a higher capacity version of the 25-song phone).

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
missing the point!

OK...most people are missing the point!!! the phone is NOT an iPod! It is a PHONE.....yes it is iTunes capatable, but it is also a phone. It has to have memory to store your phonebook, presets, pictures, phone info, etc. So I think 25 songs is not bad at all. If you want more then bring your iPod (which isn't much bigger in the first place) but hey, say your stuck in a line or something, you pull out your phone and BAM your set...Im stoked for it...

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
WOW, you took the time to point that out. I'm sure he doesn't really care.
AidenShaw said:
Check the article - it says that it will have one Giga-bit.

Or do you mean GB ??

Note that a lower case "b" means "bit", and upper case "B" means "byte". You might want to fix your signature....

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
Right, people have been saying iPod phone, not a iTunes enabled phone. There's a big difference.
wrxguy said:
OK...most people are missing the point!!! the phone is NOT an iPod! It is a PHONE.....yes it is iTunes capatable, but it is also a phone. It has to have memory to store your phonebook, presets, pictures, phone info, etc. So I think 25 songs is not bad at all. If you want more then bring your iPod (which isn't much bigger in the first place) but hey, say your stuck in a line or something, you pull out your phone and BAM your set...Im stoked for it...

iCraig

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
I bet Steve Jobs is sat there reading this and laughing his head off.

I personally agree with the people on this forum, why would Apple have a big event for a product that is not their own?

I think we may see a Video iPod next week personally.

erickg

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
dernhelm said:
That's funny. I figure the exact opposite. Sept 7 will bring the phone, nothing more, nothing less. I do doubt that they'd cap it at 25 songs artificially, and I still think that many of the rumors about the phone will be shown to be wrong, but my belief is the phone is all you'll see.

And at least I won't be disappointed if I'm wrong...
Well... whatever comes, I won't be disappointed either. I wouldn't be able to afford whatever they introduce anyway. :rolleyes: But you're attitude is probably the way to go, think small - get ...???

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
If they release the iTunes Phone at this event and it only has 25 songs... the media will laugh their heads off and the Apple name will be ruined for ever!!! :mad:

Rainfreak

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
USA
Question What about all the patent garbage thats been flying around.

Heres what I want to know. Whats going to happen to the ipod in relation to the fact that the Creative just got their Zen Patent? Also what about the fact that some M$ employee also got a patent that could spell dark skies for Apple and the iPod.

How come you guys did not post that forum? I mean I hate patents myself, and I wish Creative would just crawl under a rock along side with m$ but the truth is that these two companies make it seem like as if Apple does not even own the ipod!

IS that why Apple is making a move towards the cellphone so that they could avoid all this? Would A different platform would mean patents would not affect them anymore?

WHATS GONNA HAPPEN?