Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so there are new emojis in iOS8 beta ?? this is sure a question for those who have iOS8 beta.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
My iphone 5 still prints :) when I dictate texts to Siri with the word "smiley".

Even my old Droid X would display an actual smiley emoticon.

Am I doing something wrong?

yannxou

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Barcelona
Another way to leave less disk space for the user in your new machine by adding useless emoticons in your system fonts.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Since when are these called Emojis and not Emoticons?
According to Wikipedia, "emoji" is a combination of the Japanese words for "picture" ("e") and "character" ("moji"), whereas "emoticon" is a portmanteau of "emotion" and "icon".

So, emoji is a more general term for any character set consisting of pictures (such as Wingdings), while emoticons only refers to those emojis which express emotions. (Mainly smileys.)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
wow this unicode consortium must be filled with Americans....

The animal, the reference to that TV show, the highway (freeway) design, the tornado, the cutlery... What's in it for all those remaining cultures in the word?

Everyone is free to argue for their characters to be included in Unicode. If there's anyone who feels that having a character in the Unicode standard is important, they should argue for it and most likely it will be included.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't know Emoji was that popular, I've used it very sparingly myself but adding new Emojis - wow, I guess some people do use them

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I'm sure this will roll out for Android users as a free update that runs on all Android phones announced since 2011... after all, Androids OEMs stand behind their product just as much as Apple does, right?

The joy of android. Users will be able to get this as an app update, unlike Apple who will have to roll out a system wide update. ;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Nah, I'm just trying to stay hip like the younger people. I don't want to be a square you know! :p

aaah...just using the word "square" sort of...well...dates you, just a bit.

I think the "stay hip like the younger people" train left the station a while ago.:p

Get used to being out of it (another dated phrase)..it only gets worse...trust me!:(

;) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.