Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who would prefer upgrade options when a launch product has been changed within half a year?

• Me

Votes: 50 46.7%
  • Not me

Votes: 57 53.3%

• Total voters

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Thank you for the article link. It looks to me that Sandisk simply shrunk it, rather than being unable to produce it in the first place. Also, it refers to its use in a smartphone. There's a lot more space in an iPad Pro (probably in the range of 10 times)?

Regardless, it's not the release of the 256GB 4 months later that is annoying per se, just that there was utterly no indication that they would launch it within 6 months. I would definitely have held back had I known this. Still, this is not without precedent - the iPad 4 128GB option was also launched 4 months after the iPad 4 64GB option. The timing is too much of a coincidence to attribute to this kind of specific "memory chip" event.
Yeah they did something similar in early February 2008 with the original iPhone, bumping the top option to 16GB. The iPod Touch, which came out I think that September, was also updated to a max of 32GB. I think back then the iPod had room inside without the cellular radio, so they could use two NAND chips. I think at one point the iPad was like that too. I'm not sure about the current versions though?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Thank you for the article link. It looks to me that Sandisk simply shrunk it, rather than being unable to produce it in the first place. Also, it refers to its use in a smartphone. There's a lot more space in an iPad Pro (probably in the range of 10 times)?

Regardless, it's not the release of the 256GB 4 months later that is annoying per se, just that there was utterly no indication that they would launch it within 6 months. I would definitely have held back had I known this. Still, this is not without precedent - the iPad 4 128GB option was also launched 4 months after the iPad 4 64GB option. The timing is too much of a coincidence to attribute to this kind of specific "memory chip" event.

I know that Apple does a lot of things that tick us off as of late, but I'm having a hard time seeing how or why they would have chosen not to offer a 256GB option at release if it were available. They charge a huge premium for extra memory. They'd love to get an extra $150-200 out of you for their $10 part. It feels like this was simply a case of the tech not being ready.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I know that Apple does a lot of things that tick us off as of late, but I'm having a hard time seeing how or why they would have chosen not to offer a 256GB option at release if it were available. They charge a huge premium for extra memory. They'd love to get an extra $150-200 out of you for their $10 part. It feels like this was simply a case of the tech not being ready.

No no, I meant that it would have been nice to have known about it advance. The availability is irrelevant to me, it's more about being able to make an informed decision.

Reactions: 69650

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
This isn't a kick in the teeth. The iPad 4 was a kick in the teeth to iPad 3 owners. Trust me. This is nothing.

YES !

I am one of the customers of the retina iPad of march 2012… purchased it in Juli 2012 - 2 months later (6 months after release of the 3rd gen) the 4th gen came out with a processor having about 250% of the performance of the 3rd gen I just had purchased… for the same price… I felt like been taken for a fool….

Last edited:

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
No no, I meant that it would have been nice to have known about it advance. The availability is irrelevant to me, it's more about being able to make an informed decision.
So what are you saying. That Apple should've said "don't buy the iPad now if you want a larger size"?

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
When there are uncommonly rapid successor models in a line, this is mostly the case because there were flaws of the predecessor model which need immediate correction. This will be confirmed by some apple-product-releases in the past if you look at the history....

An enterprise that is customer-friendly could for example give a 50 USD bonus to the owners of the predecessor model or so…. intelligent vendors do this like that…. but apple isn´t customer-orientated…. they have got much more arrogant than Microsoft ever was …. you remember?

"You´re just holding it wrong!" ….

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
So what are you saying. That Apple should've said "don't buy the iPad now if you want a larger size"?

Nope... an announcement like "a 256GB version will be available within 6 months" would be excellent. It won't stop buyers who don't need 256GB, but it will give buyers like myself the knowledge that they might be better off waiting for a while.

Either way Apple gets its cash - more actually. Just a little later. And as a customer I'll definitely appreciate Apple a lot better.

I'm fine with the endless march of technology, but I find it hard to believe that Apple didn't know that they'd be launching a new storage option within 6 months. It's not a new tech like Force touch, it's a simple memory module size increase.

EpsilonExordium

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
Austin, TX
It saved me money. Wife made me buy the 128gb (most of which is empty) and she would have made me buy the 256gb had it been available... So I saved that extra cash... Thanks apple ;)

I just picked up 1 128gb ipad pro a month ago (2/22). Really peeved that there's now a 256gb option available. I wish I could return it and swap for the larger model :(

Last edited:

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I just picked up 1 128gb ipad pro a month ago (2/22). Really peeved that there's now a 256gb option available. I wish I could return it and swap for the larger model :(

Hmmm... one month is not too long. If you bought it from the Apple Store direct... I'd make an appeal to ask if I could still return it. They might be sympathetic. It's worth a try if you ask me. I would certainly try.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
My Air 2 128 never had anymore than 100G on it.
I kicked around the idea of snagging a 256, but when I went to Best Buy $810 out the door for a ipp 128 wifi I merrily skipped out the door.
The cycle will never stop. The next version will be better somehow.
If you buy a car at the beginning of the 2016 model year would you expect the dealership to upgrade you 1:1 on a 2016.5 or a lousy trade in allowance?

The 12.9 IPP release was a "contingency plan".
I am willing to bet that several parts, screening and memory weren't ready.
However plan B was achievable.
Sure not as many people bit on the 12 compared to a newer 9.7, bit looking at the numbers of the Christmas quarter apple did alright.

Last edited:

WilesyStylesy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Have you owned or tried to get serviced, a Microsoft computer? Try owning several Surface Pro's and see how great Microsoft's customer service is. It's laughably bad. Actually, no, it makes you want to cry.

Do you think you could be a little more dramatic with your title? You decided on the day you bought your iPP that the money you exchanged for it was worthwhile for the utility it returned. The fact that the equation has changed now, 4 months later - a relative eternity in the gadget age - matters naught. Perhaps you should reimburse Apple for the use you have gotten out of it during that time...

Apple products are not worth the money we pay. We all know they are way overpriced.

My iPad 2 was slow as anything, which is strange, its like Apple does this on purpose, theres no point in doing an iOS update if it bricks or slows down the iPad 2 to a halt, which was working perfectly before the iOS version with the design change.

Microsoft customer service has been excellent when it comes to the Xbox in the UK. From the ring to death, to XBOX LIVE issues. Sorry for your trouble with the service pro, I have had no experience with that. So I can't say any negative nor positive for that product line.

Again, I bought the iPad Pro, because I needed a new tablet. I was actually going to get a surface pro, for the memory, but thought twice about all the previous apps I've paid for... buyers regret now. i wanted 256GB at the time, or more, but that option was not provided and I didn't want to wait a year... but I could've waited 4 bloody months!

Yes technology moves on, but within 4 months? Jesus. You can't see how insulting this is to customers?
[doublepost=1458989930][/doublepost]
If people want it that 256GB Bad enough they will sell their 128GB but for me I can't see ever needing that much.

I have been offered 3000 RMB from the listing I put up 3 days ago, Chinese Yuan when a new one costs 6,888 RMB TODAY.
Wow, less than half its value in 4 months... sure when its original price was 7,888 RMB here 4 months ago
[doublepost=1458990307][/doublepost]
Did you magically run out of 128GB space?
with video files, training course material, yes I have

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I'm actually more peeved that Apple didn't provide us with the proper charging solution for the 12.9" iPad and now wants to sell it to us for $80. Those parts WERE available at launch and they simply didn't include them.

As far as 256GB, I see why people are upset, even if it doesn't affect me. I would have been fine with 64MB, so the 128 I have is more than sufficient.

Reactions: 88Keys

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Apple products are not worth the money we pay. We all know they are way overpriced.
Economics. Products are worth what people are willing to pay. Given Apple's sales figures, there are apparently plenty of people that think Apple products are worth the price premium. I think Apple has a fairly good grasp of their demand curve and prices products in a way that maximizes their profits.

Reactions: Ghost31

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I did not initially purchase the iPad 4 since I had gotten an iPad back earlier in the year. When the 128Gb model was released in January I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and purchase. I would really like to have the additional storage but the cost to upgrade is just to high at this point for me. I'll just wait for the new version to be relased in fall (if that in fact happens).

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I purchased a 128 go IPad Pro at launch and picking up a 256gb iPad Pro 12.9 on the 31st.

Haven't decided whether to pick up a slate grey or the gold. Really wanted a rose gold variant.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I purchased a 128 go IPad Pro at launch and picking up a 256gb iPad Pro 12.9 on the 31st.

Haven't decided whether to pick up a slate grey or the gold. Really wanted a rose gold variant.

Heh... it would be funny if they introduced a rose gold color for the iPad Pro 12.9" in a few months (WWDC).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
slap 512gb on it and I would pick one up as well. :)
Do they even make 512GB eMMC yet? Honestly, that's likely going to be my next upgrade but I don't see it happening anytime soon. It took 3 years before they upgraded top capacity from 128GB to 256GB.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I'd love to try something other than Space Gray but it is the only color that comes with a black bezel.

As for whether or not a 256GB option 4 months after the initial iPad Pro is a kick in the teeth... my opinion is "not really". People who opted for 128GB did so knowing the limitations would impose on their workflow. They considered (or at least SHOULD HAVE) what being restricted to 128GB would mean and decided that it was worth buying.

If someone bought a 128GB iPP knowing that they would be cramped by the space, well then that's on them not on Apple.

Reactions: Ghost31 and Azzin

WilesyStylesy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I'd love to try something other than Space Gray but it is the only color that comes with a black bezel.

As for whether or not a 256GB option 4 months after the initial iPad Pro is a kick in the teeth... my opinion is "not really". People who opted for 128GB did so knowing the limitations would impose on their workflow. They considered (or at least SHOULD HAVE) what being restricted to 128GB would mean and decided that it was worth buying.

If someone bought a 128GB iPP knowing that they would be cramped by the space, well then that's on them not on Apple.

Nah mate, I completely disagree, as I am an owner of one. You are not everyone, so you can't say everyone thinks the same way. Not everyone thinks like that. I wanted a tablet as my previous iPad had died, I wanted one with 256GB storage, but was warned away from the surface, so i opted for the iPad, but didn't want to wait a year for 256GB for the likely upgrade model, but guess what, I could have waited 4 bloody months. This is called screwing your customers. They could have easily announced this before launch, that 256GB will arrive within half a year.

Reactions: 69650

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Nah mate, I completely disagree, as I am an owner of one. You are not everyone, so you can't say everyone thinks the same way. Not everyone thinks like that. I wanted a tablet as my previous iPad had died, I wanted one with 256GB storage, but was warned away from the surface, so i opted for the iPad, but didn't want to wait a year for 256GB for the likely upgrade model, but guess what, I could have waited 4 bloody months. This is called screwing your customers. They could have easily announced this before launch, that 256GB will arrive within half a year.
Where did I say or imply that everyone things the same way. I'm sorry that you are emotionally upset by a purchase you made.

Reactions: Beachguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.