Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who would prefer upgrade options when a launch product has been changed within half a year?

• Me

Votes: 50 46.7%
  • Not me

Votes: 57 53.3%

• Total voters

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
128GB is perfect (for me) as I have both 1TB iCloud and 1TB Dropbox. I'm not too worried about storage.

I travel a lot and can be away for several weeks at a time. The iPad Pro is a godsend for me as I can load it with lots of my iTunes movies and take them with me for something to watch in the evenings. That's the primary reason I bought it on launch day. To find out now they've introduced a 256GB version just a few months later is a real kick in the teeth for the early adopters like me. I also have Dropbox and iCloud but they're not much use to me on a long plane journey or sitting in a far away hotel as the data charges would be horrific simply to stream the movie.
[doublepost=1459275503][/doublepost]
Nah mate, I completely disagree, as I am an owner of one. You are not everyone, so you can't say everyone thinks the same way. Not everyone thinks like that. I wanted a tablet as my previous iPad had died, I wanted one with 256GB storage, but was warned away from the surface, so i opted for the iPad, but didn't want to wait a year for 256GB for the likely upgrade model, but guess what, I could have waited 4 bloody months. This is called screwing your customers. They could have easily announced this before launch, that 256GB will arrive within half a year.

I could have written the exact same words.
[doublepost=1459275796][/doublepost]
Welcome to technology, it moves quickly. Just because you bought an iPad and now there is a new iPad doesn't mean you should be given some kind of discount on the new one. You're not entitled to anything other than the iPad you bought and you knew that when you bought it. Also you in no way shape or form need to have the best iPad at all times.

Total BS. This has nothing to do with technology moving on. Apple has an established policy of not upgrading their products more than once a year, that's why I feel safer buying Apple in the belief it won't be out of date and/or upgraded 5 minutes after I've purchased it. They've really screwed over their iPad Pro customers in this instance. End of.
[doublepost=1459276173][/doublepost]
No no, I meant that it would have been nice to have known about it advance. The availability is irrelevant to me, it's more about being able to make an informed decision.

Absolutely 100% spot on the point.

They should have announced the 128GB and 256GB versions at launch last November and just said the 256GB version won't be available for a few months. The hard disk supplier did not just pull this 256GB hard drive out of the hat. They would have given manufacturers like Apple a lot of prior notice so they could build it into their product development plans, so Apple would have know this part was coming long before they announced the iPad Pro.

Last edited:

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
This has GOT to be one of the most amusing threads I've seen here. Being angry over Apple releasing new models and versions is downright silly in my eyes.

I have an iPad 2 and iPad 3. Did it irk me when they came out with the iPad 4? Nope. I decided to buy the ones I had, not Apple. If I got angry every time a company updated their products I'd spend my life bitter and miserable.

Reactions: Ghost31 and mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
This is only a "kick in the teeth" if that's how you choose to look at it.

You can completely sell your big iPad and buy a bigger big iPad. Apple gives you the option to buy more than one device. You then have an option to sell any device you purchased. People do this with

People that live the life on the bleeding edge sometimes bleed.

If the worst thing that has happened to you in your life was buying an iPad with 128GB of storage vs 256GB of storage then my friend I am jealous.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
No no, I meant that it would have been nice to have known about it advance. The availability is irrelevant to me, it's more about being able to make an informed decision.

When Apple released the iPhone 6S, they should have told me about the release dates of the iPhone 7 and 8 so that I could make an informed decision.

Reactions: mmomega

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
256GB iPad Pro, 4 months after launch is a kick in the teeth

Can someone please tell me how customers are not outraged by this? Not all Apple customers can me Mr Richy McRichpants... Surely, they should offer an upgrade option from those who bought 128GB version... 4 months later for the same price double the memory! Not a year later, or half a year later, but 4 months later.

And Apple mocking people who have PCs older than 5 years... well number 1, the desktop / laptop market hasn't accelerated at the same rate as mobile, and perhaps some people can't afford it!

256G just became available for smart phones/tablets.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
This is only a "kick in the teeth" if that's how you choose to look at it.

You can completely sell your big iPad and buy a bigger big iPad. Apple gives you the option to buy more than one device. You then have an option to sell any device you purchased. People do this with

People that live the life on the bleeding edge sometimes bleed.

If the worst thing that has happened to you in your life was buying an iPad with 128GB of storage vs 256GB of storage then my friend I am jealous.

Exactly. I want to upgrade my Air to the 9.7" Pro, now. If they release a new one in the Fall, and I want it, I will sell the Pro to get the Pro 2.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Meh, don't care, technology is an ever flowing river of changes and innovations. These days most of my stuff is stored in the cloud anyway, so even the 128GB I got could well be overkill.

The only thing I think will fill it up for me is when I load it with video when I go on vacation. But I re-encode those to take up less space and I only take a few for, just in case, moments. I don't go on vacation to watch films.

Or maybe when I'm editing video on it, but that's a temporary thing anyway, it gets deleted when I'm finished with it.

Don't get me wrong, if 256GB had been an option at the time I might well have bought it. But it wasn't and I deemed the 128GB to be adequate when I made my purchase. That's not going to change just because there's a different one now.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
When Apple released the iPhone 6S, they should have told me about the release dates of the iPhone 7 and 8 so that I could make an informed decision.

.... The point is, within 6 months, it should be entirely reasonable to inform me that it is coming in advance.

How would you feel if after buying the 6S after it is announced, the 7 is launched 2 months later?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Who uses 256 gb of storage on the iPad? Genuinely curious.
I would. Currently use an iPad 4 128GB for my comics (~90GB) and an iPad 3 64GB for Plex Sync (~20-40GB). Frequently without reliable wifi and sometimes, no cellular connection either. Besides, cellular data overage is $15/GB and subscribing to 50GB costs $375/mo just for the base plan. That's just simple media consumption on a 9.7" iPad. I reckon those who do content creation would benefit even more.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
.... The point is, within 6 months, it should be entirely reasonable to inform me that it is coming in advance.

How would you feel if after buying the 6S after it is announced, the 7 is launched 2 months later?

but in regards to the larger ipad pro, they did not release a completely new product. They released the exact same product with more internal storage.

If it was 6 months and 1 day it wouldn't make a difference.

No business will ever say "Well if you think this is good, don't give us your money just yet... hold off another 4-6 months."
Then guess what? 6 months after that is another iPad Pro. Time to get back on Macrumors and complain again!

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Do what I did. I called Apple last Monday after the announcement and told them that I was interested in the 256gb. I explained to them that I purchased the 128gb early in the morning on 11/11 and that I travel a lot and could really use the extra memory. They could see where I had purchased a 27" 5k iMac, two iPhones, multiple Apple TV 4s and the Pro in the last few months and said they would make an exception and allow me to return the 128gb for full credit and apply that to the 256gb model. Maybe I just got lucky with the rep, but Apple took care of me and all it took was a phone call. The 256gb came yesterday and Apple sent me a return label to send back the 128gb. So try giving them a call and remember to be nice. :)

Reactions: aesc80

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
but in regards to the larger ipad pro, they did not release a completely new product. They released the exact same product with more internal storage.

The time frame is the point, not the product. The very fact that it isn't a new product means that they can reliably predict that it's going to be launched.

No business will ever say "Well if you think this is good, don't give us your money just yet... hold off another 4-6 months."

A business doesn't have to, but it would be polite to do so. Especially since it's not a completely new product that doesn't rely on components like Force Touch that may not be ready in time.

Frankly people who can't utilize 256GB wouldn't have hesitated to get the 128GB anyway, even if they informed others of it.

I'll give this analogy. Tesla is launching the model 3 with a 200 mile range. You buy it, although you, in particular, tend to make trips that exceed 200 miles, meaning that you have to plan on stopping at superchargers on these trips. At most, this is a mild inconvenience. You love everything else about the car, so you proceed to buy it.

In 4 months they launch one with a 400 mile range but a higher price that you can easily afford. Everything else is exactly the same.

How do you feel? It won't affect people who wouldn't commute so far anyway, so they don't care. But you in particular have use cases that would have made it more convenient.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

I do. Or I should say, I will.

image.jpeg

[doublepost=1459300434][/doublepost]

Excited. I'd sell my 6S and buy the 7. And I wouldn't whine about it.

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
I'm ok with 256GB coming out now, however if it was released in the the fall I prob would have purchased it based on I always buy as much storage as I can afford at the time. Honestly, I am more annoyed that the 9.7 only has 2GB ram when the 12.9 has 4GB.

I know when I purchase new products there will be advancements...that's just the way it is. When I fell hardware is held back that annoys me...like the RAM or the Touch ID on the iPad Pros

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
WOW, you're really taking the whip to this horse, aren't you?

I'm actually getting a little tired of reexplaining myself repeatedly. It's not a difficult point to make, but a lot of people refuse to even consider the point of view. It really is just a matter of taking something you really want to buy, just with one small inconvenience that is magically solved in 4 months without any hint that it would be.

Personally I don't care about the whole 256GB issue anymore, but I'm getting annoyed by others not at least trying to look at it in the perspective the 128GB owners have.

benjs

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
This is ludicrous. Technology's destiny is to be replaced and become obsolete. Apple's prime objective is to generate profit, and they are not obligated to commit to a consistent update stream. What was the next logical step after 128GB NAND to become mainstream? 256GB NAND.

Reactions: Ghost31

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
Hate when companies do things like this...When I purchased my new RAM 1500, it wasn't even 6 months later that RAM announced that they where going to produce the Rebel and they didn't even offer me a chance to return my truck for the new model either.
[doublepost=1459302416][/doublepost]Hope everyone understands sarcasm....

Reactions: mmomega and jgelin

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
For the people complaining, if iOS was actually a full OS and not a mobile one, your complaints would be warranted for more memory. With the current limitations, unless you have a large music collection and you don't store your stuff on the cloud, 256 GB is overkill. I'm not using it as a excuse, I only know that my 128 GB LTE iPad Pro has most of the memory available left and I had it since launch; I don't store music or pictures on it because it's all accessible on the cloud. If this was a device similar to the surface pro 4 with a full OS, of course I would want it to have something like 512 GB or 1 TB because I can do so much on that device natively.....

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'm actually getting a little tired of reexplaining myself repeatedly. It's not a difficult point to make, but a lot of people refuse to even consider the point of view. It really is just a matter of taking something you really want to buy, just with one small inconvenience that is magically solved in 4 months without any hint that it would be.

Personally I don't care about the whole 256GB issue anymore, but I'm getting annoyed by others not at least trying to look at it in the perspective the 128GB owners have.
Personally I am in the 128GB owner club. What I refuse to do is accept that this is a "kick in the teeth". Sell the 128GB and buy a 256GB.
I am still not seeing the big issue. You have an issue, find the solution, do that.

Reactions: Capt T

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
This has GOT to be one of the most amusing threads I've seen here. Being angry over Apple releasing new models and versions is downright silly in my eyes.

I have an iPad 2 and iPad 3. Did it irk me when they came out with the iPad 4? Nope. I decided to buy the ones I had, not Apple. If I got angry every time a company updated their products I'd spend my life bitter and miserable.
In total agreement. Like...TOTAL. I could keep replying to the thread and sharing my opinion on how I think this reaction is overblown, but I'd rather sit back and watch with popcorn in hand. Never seen more of a first world problem in my life

Reactions: Beachguy

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
For video, I mean, watching seasons of TV series? With good resolution, one season can take probably about 20 GB of data. Make it 10 and you will fill up the iPad quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.