3 weeks with Android are enough..I miss my iPhone so much...

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by petvas, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

So, why do I go back to the iPhone?

Many reasons...Android is certainly a good OS, but there are things that bother me and couldn't get used to them:
    * App quality is most of the times worse than on iOS. There are some good apps out there though. An example of a whole app category where iOS is unbeatable: Calendar and Tasks apps..It's like night and day..
    * The Google Play store cannot be compared to the AppStore...
    *If you are not prepared to root your device, then Android OS gets also boring, as iOS...Maybe because both OS work pretty well...
    *Notifications: The lock screen notifications of iOS are much better than any plugin or widget can accomplish on Android. Android does't natively support lock screen notifications, but there are widgets and apps that imitate iOS behavior...but they do not work as well as the original...
    *Video playback support is not as good as on the iOS...I know there are many video players, but iOS offers much better compatibility with mp4 files. MKV files on the other hand play very well on Android too (you need an app on iOS for that..)
    *The fact that Dropbox runs in the background on Android and saves taken pictures automatically is great, but on iOS we have Photostream that does the exact same thing, and is much better integrated in the OS..
    *The lack of Mac integration can be frustrating at times...
    * The OS is not as polished as iOS and looks worse too! I don't believe I am saying that, but iOS 7 is beautiful...
    *No FaceTime and no iMessages...Hangouts is a joke of an application. I am sorry Google fans, but you haven't probably seen Messages and FaceTime working...It's like night and day

About the HTC One M8: It is a great device, has great screen (but with much worse color accuracy compared to the iPhone), has amazing speakers which I will really miss, but it is too big to carry around..After using it for almost three weeks, I can safely say that I don't want such a big phone...I don't want to always worry how I am going to carry it with me, or how I am going to hold it...I believe the current iPhone is a little bit small, so a size up to 4,7" (as a maximum), is ok. If the rumors are true, the next iPhone will offer a 4,7" size...

So, I ordered an iPhone 5S and it comes on Monday morning...Goodbye Android, I will not miss you.

2. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

How old are you?

What is the problem with the thread? I am sure there must be a lot of people that never tried Android before and would be interested to know why some guy decided that iOS is better for him..
    I tried to like Android, invested a lot of money in apps, but the love was not there..When I touch an iPhone I feel things...

4. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Sounds like you're too deeply integrated in the Apple Ecosystem and hardware/software integration.

I use both iOS and Android daily and find they both have benefits and shortcomings compared to each other.

5. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, I am. Maybe that is the reason I miss my iPhone so much..

6. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

So Android is a good OS, but everything is better in iOS?

7. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Did I say that? Of course not! If you search a bit here, you will see another post of me saying how many things Android got right, and where iOS' deficiancies are..
    At the end of the day, the benefits of iOS were more important to me.

8. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I only read this one.

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Well i dont agree with many of your reasons but i dont care if you go back to iOS. I dont see how you can get bored with it after 3 weeks. It does so much more and you find new things all the time but to each their own.

I do agree the M8 is big. It is taller than the GS5 by a good margin.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

I think it's pretty common what you are experiencing. If you are deep in an ecosystem, then it's hard to make the transition. If a person has used Android for years, then chances are, they will become frustrated with the lack of customization, etc. using an Apple device. Thankfully, Apple, is fixing the screen size issue. 4.7" is a ideal. I find some phones over 5" too big; however, I don't mind big screen phones, as I've had a G2 and N5 in previous months. But 5.5" or more is pushing it!

11. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

You are clearly invested in iOS so if you can I'd suggest that you get rid of your M8 and get an iPhone.

The bolded points I can agree with. The rest I don't.

I think the Calander on ios7 is rubbish. It was good in previous iOS versions but it's pretty awful now. I prefer the Calander on my Note 3, but most importantly I can have it as a full page widget, meaning I can see my schedule for the whole week/month at a glance without opening the App.

I don't know what the stock video player app is on the M8, but the stock app on Samsung devices and more specifically the MX player pro App are significantly better than the iOS video player in my opinion.

Google plus automatically saves your pics in the background (unless you opt out) just like photo stream.

I've owned iPhones in the past, the most recent being the 5s in January of this year and I still have 2 iPads. I've used FaceTime and imessage before and I don't find them any better or worse than hangouts. However I can see that if most of your contacts have iPhones then FaceTime and imessage is going to be better.

Ultimately we all have our own preferences and I'm glad to see that you've bought a 5S. Enjoy it :)

12. Robster3 macrumors 68000

You would have been better off with a S5, thinner, lighter, shorter, syncs with a mac too with iPhoto and Andriod Transfer, M8 won't.
    I couldn't go back to a 5S size screen maybe a bigger 6 though.

13. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

For OP: I had similar feelings when I returned to the Iphone 5S from my Galaxy S4. However, I recently got a LG G2 and I don't miss the Iphone at all. It has a beautiful 5.2 inch screen, great battery life, OIS, plus wireless charging, in a minimum bezel form. Perhaps you picked the wrong Android device. Keep an open mind. There are many new smartphones coming on the market this year.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are some things I miss with my iPhone but there are some things I like with my WP phone. I'll decide what platform to use when apple announces the IP6, maybe I'll consider that.

All you can do pick a platform that best fits your needs.

15. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I've been an iOS user since day one. Jailbroke every one of those up until iOS7, as most everything I jailbroke for was UI customization and/or ease of use.

I could only stand iOS7 for 6 months. Got an LG G2 about a month ago, but had issues with reception, so traded in for an HTC One M8. Love it. After rooting, installing Google Play Edition rom, and now tweaking the UI interface and searching out apps that fit my use....I can't say there is anything at this point that will make me go back to iOS (for a phone) until there is a device the same size as the M8. Even then, it's a BIG maybe to look at. I don't miss iMessage or Facetime at all. While we still have 8 Apple devices in our household (iPads, iPhones, iPods, Macs) and are obviously entrenched in the ecosystem, Android is the phone for me at this point, and I've not found any huge issues of merging/moving information between the platforms.

It does take some searching and reading (and I've spent a little wasted $), but I have found replacement apps for the apps where I didn't like the Android counterpart (or port) from iOS. I will say that, in general, the Play store (or more so the developers) have more 'trial' apps for testing before using an IAP for full functionality, or purchasing a 'key' app, or purchasing the full version app than what is available in Apple's App store. For example, I went from Pocket Informant on iOS to Digical on Android. Digical has everything I need, and looks great. Was able to test Digical thoroughly before I made a $ commitment. NILS lockscreen notifications takes the same function on iOS (and looks/works better, imho).

Android vs. iOS is definitely a user to user experience.

16. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Better compatibility for MP4? What do you mean? My phone has played every mp4 I've come across. How can it get better than that?

17. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

It honestly sounds like you have fallen into the classic iPhone user trap of trying to make android work like iOS, but even with that the only issue I take with your post is that you take something that is a personal choice and make a sweeping generalization that iPhone is better for everyone rather than just for you.

I recently spent about 4 months with a Nexus 5 and it was a really great device for my calendar and task apps I use any.do and cal both on the iPhone and on Nexus when I had it and they were equally great experiences. I also noticed a ton of apps that were nicer looking than their iOS counterparts at least to my eyes. There were so many good things about the Nexus 5 that I won't pick a side in the general which OS is better argument because I honestly could have kept using the Nexus but for me personally there are things that make me prefer the iPhone experience as a whole. This is honestly what it seems like you are saying at the core of your post, but it comes off a little too much as if you are making the argument that iPhone is better for everyone rather than for you personally.

Overall I am glad you have figured out what you like and are going back to the iPhone, it's what I did and I honestly don't think I will ever switch again completely (I may get a secondary phone to play with android or windows phone).

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same with my WP phone - no issues

19. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Well said...

You're hitting the point here. :)

----------

petvas wrote:

"An example of a whole app category where iOS is unbeatable: Calendar and Tasks apps..It's like night and day.."

IMO neither the iOS nor Android native Calendar is good enough, not at all.

I use the CalenGoo app both for my iOS devices and my Android devices, and have done so now for several years. This calendar - or planning app - is so much better and can be customized with care, on the basis of personal preferences and needs. (I have of course no economical interest in the app, BTW.)

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Sounds like you love the Apple OS too much

At least you gave it a try. Just like I could never leave Android now.. Love the features too much.

21. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I am just saying that the iPhone is better for me and I explained why. Having said that, I am still undecided because today, when I turned my HTC One on, realizing that it is one of the last times, I realized the things I like about it! Crazy...
    I am still undecided to be honest. I love the design of the M8, and I love the polish of iOS.

22. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

If you are a UI tweaker, Android is conducive to that. I like that immensely. I've taken the HTC One M8 away from the stock OS from AT&T, and done many things to it. It's been rooted, SuperSU'd, and then I've loaded a custom ROM via TWRP (which is the mostly stock Google Play Edition of kitkat 4.4.2). I then added apps/tweaks to get notifications, widgets and the UI how I like (or feel more productive). I've probably spent about the same in the Play store, just like I did in the App Store for all the various apps and widgets I like. I also did a bunch of research, but it really only boiled down to watching a few videos, and learning what the terms meant for rooting, etc.. Changing/removing the stock AT&T bloatware has made it much faster (and it already was fast), and easier to use. My setup is now averaging almost 1.5 days of heavy business use, and only needing to charge once. With my iPhone, that was every 12 hours.

iOS 7 (and most versions to come, I imagine as they only will get harder to JB) is polished and seamless (contacts and the dialer are a great example, and so is SMS and iMessages/Facetime). But, I feel it's that way for those who are satisfied with the flat UI, or don't want to tweak things away from the Apple ecosystem (whether that is innate or because they don't want or need to know how it all works).

23. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I love Apple too much :)
    I love OS X, adored Steve Jobs, BUT I have my computing principles and expectations from the technology I use. If I were satisfied with iOS I wouldn't get the M8 on the first place. I did go Android, I didn't want to be just another fanboy that hates stuff without even knowing what it's about..
    I saw many great things on Android, but there are of course some ugly stuff.

It all depends!
    To be honest, using the M8 is a pure joy, and I have found for every usage scenario that I need an app that looks great, apart from the calendar. Someone wrote before that the standard cal on iOS is not good. I agree, but I can have week calendar or Fantastical on iOS. The current options on Android are not exactly great.
    The iPhone is on its way, but I still don't know..Somehow I had a change of mind in the last couple of hours...:(

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I made the switch from iOS to Android last July and really enjoy it. There are some things I miss from iOS, but for the most part I'm happy with the move.

Kudos to you for trying it out for 3 weeks. So many get on here and say they tried it for 20 minutes at the store and found that it sucks.

25. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Possibly look at Digical.... I long ago put all my calendar into Google Calendars, then looked at apps to sync with them on iOS. For that, it ended up being Pocket Informant (because of some feature I was looking for at the time), and on my Macs with OS X, Fantastical (just as a reminder app on the status bar). Fantastical, at the time, for iOS wasn't how I worked, and the UI wasn't as polished as Pocket Informant.

But, the current Android version of PI isn't as nice looking, either in the app or the widgets. Digical solved that, and has turned out nicer to look at (and they have a very configurable widget). It actually is very similar in UI to Fantastical, imho, actually a bit iOS like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.