30 year anniversary of Back to the Future.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Meister, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

Soon it's the 30th anniversary of Marty's journey using Doc Brown's invention of the flux I tought I make a happy birthday thread. :)

[​IMG]

Six days to go and we'll see if Marty really does show up.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, how nice to see this interesting anniversary mentioned in a thread…...

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

October 21 is the really important date. :D

All in favor of tar and feathering rdowns, say aye.

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I haven't seen any of the movies in this series in years, but I have memories of enjoying them very much.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Hasn't made it to the antique shop window yet like in BTTF II, but I did pay what some would regard as an obscene amount of money for this in 2015...

IMG_1993.JPG

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I used to own that specific model. :D

(manual eject on the external floppy drive? That seems so wrong...)

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If the Cubs go to the World Series this year, does that mean the flux capacitor really works?

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Funny enough, even though it looks like a standard manual eject PC drive, it is actually an automatic eject drive. It's also auto-insert like a proper Mac floppy drive. I suppose that the button just pushes on the manual eject tab present on all Macintosh floppy drives but normally needs a paperclip to actuate

As you probably know, Mac and PC floppy drives are not at all compatible with each other-the differences are both mechanical and electrical, and this one works exactly like a Mac drive.

Admittedly, though, the most valuable piece in that whole set up is the HD20, something which I doubt anyone in 1987 would have forseen(working HD20s are scarce, and I was fortunate to get that one for free).

10. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Aye.

I'll bring the tar.

And a rope...Just in case we get enthused. :D

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Just hope that someone doesn't have Doc's '66 model Winchester to shoot the rope :)

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We already know that it really works. After all, we saw it in those three documentary movies. There couldn't be more convincing proof than that.

13. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

rdowns, usually you can be counted on to bring thought and wisdom to a thread. Too bad. You are now dead to me. :p

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

Planning to watch Back To The Future Part II next Wednesday, October 21, 2015. All three are on my phone now and I've seen Part 1 and 2 at least 100x or more since I was 9. BTTF Trilogy is easily my favorite movie franchise of all-time even though I don't like Part III very much. It is pretty good and I love the ending but all that regret Doc said about time traveling ruining history and lives became moot once you saw that locomotive time machine. Part III had this major plothole that always bothered me. Where was DeLorean that Doc traveled back with to 1885? What was the whole point of that train sequence if Marty's DeLorean he got in 1955 ran out of gas?

I was wondering if I could still watch BTTF Part II (my fav of the series) ten years from now seeing how alot of the future envisioned 26 years ago are inaccurate now. I think I will. It has a lasting charm to it that endures and my love for them isn't solely based on nostalgia. Like Final Fantasy VII with the outdated graphics now. Helluva alot better than watching any BTTF than crap like Pixels (2015), Elf (2003), and that overrated Scott Pilgrim vs The World (2010) with an acting hack like Michael Cera! That guy has a personality that makes Frodo and Threepio look macho!

For the poster who said BTTF was overrated - Hello? Hello? Anybody home? Any movie can be called OVERRATED, BUTTHEAD! Pulp Fiction, The Big Lebowski, Fight Club, Forrest Gump, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, The Shawshank Redemption, etc. Any of them can be called overrated by distractors and all movies have them. And the ones with low scores probably deserved it,so don't hype up crap like Donnie Darko, boring Chris Nolan films, or The Matrix to me anymore. Alot of crap become cult classics.

Anyhoo, why don't the BTTF haters make like a tree and leave? Hit a manure truck while you're at it. :p

15. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

No, they need to make like a tree, and get out of here!

Finding BTTF detractors is about as funny as a screen door on a battleship.

16. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Bold = Exactly (that's the joke).
    Normal = Brilliant.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh, dear.

Why the splenetic post and the cascade of emotionally charged capital letters? By the bleeding nails of Christ, it is only a movie.

If @rdowns doesn't care for BTTF so what? Some do rather like it, some love it, some (such as myself ) have never actually seen it…..and some dislike it or think it over-rated. Personally, I think that anything with either Tom Hanks or Kevin Costner should be vaporised into oblivion, but that is just me.

Now, my sense - from what I have read and heard about it - is that it is a charming, harmless entertaining and rather inventive movie.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I never said I don't care for it or didn't like it (however, part 3 was a steaming pile of ****) but said it's overrated.

19. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

You should watch it. It's a timeless classic for all age groups.

Also 'Mr Brooks' with Kevin Costner was actually a very good movie.

20. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

I am still bringing tar ;)

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Perhaps some day I will watch it.

Re Mr Costner, the adjective 'wooden' comes to mind, - the mildest of those I habitually used to hurl whenever I saw his entitled yet immobile features anywhere - and that state of mind that philosophers of theatre (or movies) term 'the willing suspension of disbelief' (i.e. although you know what you are watching is pretence, and people pretending to be other people, you are willing to forego all that and lose yourself in imagining that it is for real) becomes an absolute impossibility whenever his face graces a screen.

22. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I'm bringing a pointed stick!

*poke*
    "Ouch!"

*poke*
    "Ouch!"

*poke*
    "Ouch!"

"I still don't like Back to the Future"

*looks for pointy-er stick*

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Ahhh I love Back to the Future. I haven't watched it in years, but may need to put it on tonight.

My neighbor Natasha would come over to babysit my siblings and me and watch this trilogy (on VHS of course). Monopoly or Twister was always involved. Those were the days...

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'd like to hear more about you playing twister with your babysitter. Pics?