Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

royboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2007
so excited for 300!

This is 5 minutes from the movie 300 that is coming out on March 9th provided by MTV.

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?name=movies&id=1553704&vid=136403

honestly this is the most amazing 300 seconds I've seen in a preview of any movie.

Dude, this movie looks awesome! I'm so excited for the premiere tomorrow. Definitely going to watch it the minute I can!

So, I was wondering just how many people really know about this movie, I mean, other than the hype online, not many people really know about it. It kinda sucks because this looks like such a good movie, but maybe it'll get some more recognition. I just heard that Zannel launched a contest with 300 where basically you forward the trailer or picture to 300 of your friends and you can win some pretty sweet prizes including GOBS of 300 memorabilia. I think I'm going to enter just so that more of my friends can be aware of this movie!

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
Are you kidding? They are hyping the crap out of this movie! Ads on buses, Ads on TV.... it's everywhere!

not to mention on every myspace page. every teenager in america has heard of it now.:p

picture1jc0.jpg

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
Awesome movie I must say!! Visually appealing in every scene. Everything was just put together beautifully. I wonder why more movies aren't created in this manner? A nice sex scene in 8 different ways. Some boobies. Ummmmm, the battle scenes are brutal. Soooo much blood and the splatter seems very accurate, I would know. :cool: I would give it a 300 star rating!

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Who else has seen 300

WOW... that is all i can say... It was amazing

Who else loved it or hated:cool:

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
just saw it in IMAX.

if you live near an IMAX... go there. drive even a few hours. believe me this movie needs to be seen on an enormous screen.

as for the movie, the action is intense, very well done... hell most the fighting is done without the camera cutting (they cheated in a few spots) but still just visually stunning.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
i just say it and i have to say it exceeded my expectations

anyone else like the ending? i loved it.

i only saw it in a regular theater so i have to go see it imax soon

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Just got back. Totally exceeded my expectations as well. The visuals were stunning and the sound was incredible. GREAT movie :D

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I thought it was pretty good. I haven't watched a movie in the theaters in a long time and this was worth it. Fights were awesome and it was visually impressive. Most scenes had a bronze like glow which looked really cool, and reminded me of etchings and reliefs. I highly reccomend.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
it's headed to break the record for the biggest opening ever in march and the third biggest R rated opening weekend

on friday it took in 27.8 million, it's supposed to be around 70 million by the end of the weekend

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
A little history

Leonidas faced a force of 200,000 Persians with 4,000 men.

Because of the confines of the pass at Thermopylae and the long spears of the Greeks, the battle was fairly one sided! Until a deserter told the Persians there was a secret pass.

Once he knew his position was flanked, he allowed anyone to leave who wanted to, and then faced the Persians with 1,400 men including the '300' Spartans. By sacrificing himself he allowed Athens to be evacuated.

The Persians were then defeated by the Athenian navy at the battle of Salamis.

That said, this film does look excellent and I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

bobscliff

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
NYC
Am i the only one who thought this movie was just really bad? okay, given, most action movies are pretty stupid. but the visuals weren't even that impressive. Some of the scenes are blatant rip-offs. Uh, mother and child in a field of wheat, sepia coloring. Gladiator anyone? There are just too many LOTR-copied scenes to count. I gotta say though, it's great for a laugh. There is homoeroticism galore and the dialog is so bombastic and simplistic at the same time, I couldn't burst out laughing. BTW, that was the worst narrator i've ever heard. phew, that's my rant. I had high hopes for this movie, loved Dawn of the Dead, but came out unimpressed. There were some genuinely thrilling parts, but it just wasn't a good movie IMO.

Howisitso

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2007
Except for that goat-blowing-the-flute thing, this movie totally TOTALLY rocked!!! Gerard Butler as Leonidas was a superb decision-- rockhard abs, piercing eyes, wall-cracking voice and all. While watching this movie, I kept thanking the Wachowsky brothers under my breath. A must-see!!

-------
Why match when you can itzamatch?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
This movie must be the most overrated piece of crap ever created by a man. Yes, the graphics are great but they DO look FAKE. I can see the people on screen not "fitting" with the landscape. Everything just seems out of order in this movie...technology is nice but hast to used wisely... 300 doesn't seem natural...
Just take a look at LOTR. Graphics are so much better and they look real!!!
LOTR has also a great story, great actors and its a lot of fun...

I am Greek and I can tell you that this movie doesnt represent the history...Many inaccuracies, no plot, no real actors, lots of violence...How can someone like it? I mean, come on people, dont just feel compelled by the nice graphics...

The battle of thermopylae took place on a very very narrow pass on a mountain. Sea is about 10 kms away from the mountain. Just watch the film and you will see that water is directly under the battle field...What a piece of crap...

The Spartans at that time didnt have any bears and moustaches, so please have a look at Leonidas in the movie... I really believe that most young people like whatever looks nice. The plot and the meaning or message of the movie isn't interesting anymore. I am really worried...

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
I am Greek and I can tell you that this movie doesnt represent the history...Many inaccuracies, no plot, no real actors, lots of violence...How can someone like it? I mean, come on people, dont just feel compelled by the nice graphics...

The battle of thermopylae took place on a very very narrow pass on a mountain. Sea is about 10 kms away from the mountain. Just watch the film and you will see that water is directly under the battle field...What a piece of crap...

The Spartans at that time didnt have any bears and moustaches, so please have a look at Leonidas in the movie... I really believe that most young people like whatever looks nice. The plot and the meaning or message of the movie isn't interesting anymore. I am really worried...

Easy there, big fella. Its just a movie. Not a history lesson. Its not meant to be accurate, just fun.

But real quick... No plot? Country gets invaded and a king and 300 of his finest defend themselves and freedom against inumerable invading armies. Sounds good to me.

No real actors? Come on, Im not even going to bother with that one. Would you have rather had Tom Cruise play the lead? Me neither. :rolleyes:

Lots of violence? Its a WAR movie. ;)

Dont worry. Its all just fun and games. It will be OK.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I hated the movie. I almost fell asleep until they killing started. The graphics were good but it wasn't enough to hold my interest. No character development, just killing, killing and more killing. My friends enjoyed it but they like a lot of movies I wouldn't like.

jon

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL

History becomes warped over time, I think we can all agree that the whole story isn't entirely accurate (probably more than 300 spartans, fewer than a million persians). But honestly, if facts like those get warped, how the bloody hell is one supposed to know the manner in which they kept their facial hair?

Leonidas: "I want you to return and spread the story of this battle, how few fought against many, how free men fought oppression, and how we were all clean shaven. Gods help you if you forget that last bit, that was the important part."

oh, and I loved the movie.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I was really hyped to see this movie mostly because the director graduated from my school, i recently met him. I saw this film, and obviously it looks very cool, but my god, that is the biggest piece of facist propaganda i've every seen in my life. It's littered with cliched stereotypes defining race in the eyes of good and evil, glorifying war, did anyone else get that. I wanted to leave that theatre. and that pose at the end, christ like, you got to be kidding me.

I mean jeez just cos it's in a nice package everyone loves it.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I was really hyped to see this movie mostly because the director graduated from my school, i recently met him. I saw this film, and obviously it looks very cool, but my god, that is the biggest piece of facist propaganda i've every seen in my life. It's littered with cliched stereotypes defining race in the eyes of good and evil, glorifying war, did anyone else get that. I wanted to leave that theatre. and that pose at the end, christ like, you got to be kidding me.

I mean jeez just cos it's in a nice package everyone loves it.

Do a little digging and look into the Spartan way of life as historically documented.
Just because its in a film it doesn't mean that the film maker is attempting to sell you any propaganda.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Hang on… for someone who claims to know all about it you're getting your facts wrong.

The ancient pass of Thermopylae was adjacent to the sea… thousands of years of silting have caused the plain to push the sea back to its modern location. It's the reason why they could hold out for a while. The sea was a natural defence.

Also. It really is only a "graphic novel" turned into a movie… so don't get all knicker twisted about it. :rolleyes:

I really doubt the intention of the film makers was to insult any modern day Greeks. ;)

And yes, the ancient Greeks did have beards and moustaches. Sheesh. Just have a look at some red figure or black figure pottery when you have a chance…
Only young men and women were beardless. The grown adult men were very much bearded. ;-)
And, boy didn't they just love themselves some "beardless youth" :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: :cool:

The Spartans at that time didnt have any bears and moustaches

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Do a little digging and look into the Spartan way of life as historically documented.
Just because its in a film it doesn't mean that the film maker is attempting to sell you any propaganda.

i'm aware of it's accuracies, but to chose to make this when any other frank miller work could have been produced, given what is going on today, that says something. Someone chose to make this with it's parallels. In modern times, meaning changes. think about it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I hated the movie. I almost fell asleep until they killing started. The graphics were good but it wasn't enough to hold my interest. No character development, just killing, killing and more killing. My friends enjoyed it but they like a lot of movies I wouldn't like.

I would've been really angry and thought idiots made it had my friends not told me it was inspired by a comic book (which in turn was inspired by reality). Suddenly all the one dimensionality made sense, and I was able to just laugh and enjoy it. At the end, we agreed, that the Persians should've had at least one soldier with laser turrets on his head. That would've been fracking™ awesome. That's all for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.