Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Longhairs? Was it sticking out from their shorts or something?

I didn't notice. I was too busy watching the actual movie. :p

Nope- a lot of the guys had long hair. I was simply referring to the fact that that I found about 0 of them attractive. I watched the movie too. It was fun and goofy. To make try to make anything else out of it is just not possible.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Actual Spartans ran around in some of the heaviest armor ever deployed on infantry. They were a solid wall of bronze and pain. Their tactics were to push into the enemy. The people in the back actually pushed the ones in the front and the extra armor gave extra momentum.

Thought so, no matter how well trained you are the enemy will always manage to get in a lucky blow - not much fun when all the armour you have is a leather codpiece!

What they did with the shield walls is still cool, 1 little noise and they form into a sheer metal wall - that must have been menacing on the battlefield.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Pffft.......how about the fact that there were only 300 of them. Yes, 300 Spartans, but how many "slaves" (aka: working class)? From the movie, it looks like there were 20 regular working class fighting with them. :p
That's very true: each Spartan had his own "helot" to look after him on and off the field. As for the numbers, apart from the 4,500 or so other Greeks who backed up Leonidas at Thermopylae, there may well have been only 300. After all, the total population of Spartan males of fighting age was no more than 5,000. And, as a side note, the great battle of Marathon, where Athens' finest reportedly gave their lives, produced an Athenian memorial to the dead with precisely 192 names, not exactly the wholesale slaughter one would have expected...

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I finally watched the whole film (first attempt was a woeful mistake - miscommunication resulting in the wrong tickets) at the IMAX on Friday... loved it. Exactly what it says on the tin.

And as an added bonus Kevin Smith (Clerks etc) was there!! Outide having a cig before looking like he was going in for the 11pm showing. He's been in town for lectures at the BFI apparantly!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Well after reading this forum and talking to a lot of friends, it seems that a lot of people really enjoyed this movie.

I must be in the minority for thinking it was utterly boring and dull.

300 is a fine example of graphics and marketing at its finest.

jon

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
That's one thing they got right: the Persians were said at the time to have been amazed to see the Spartans combing each others flowing tresses before battle, so as to leave a good-looking corpse.

1176428787837eg6.jpg

Winterfell

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've seen 300 now three different times, mostly as a result of different friends wanting to see it, but I have to say that I jumped at the chance each time.

Yes, if you're expecting a relatively accurate account of history, you're going to be dissapointed. But this is a comic book adaptation, and a very-finely done adaptation at that.

It's almost poetic in places, showing how pride can be one's downfall, etc., etc. But it was a saving grace at the same time, in that it gave them all an honorable death.

Anyway you see it, I think it is a great movie and I've no doubt I will buy this one on DVD (something I rarely do).

And, the guys were attractive yes; but I don't think I'd jump on any of them. Well, maybe Gerard Butler. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.