32GB iPhone Advertised, 16GB End of Life'd?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

According to AreaMobile.de, T-Mobile Austria briefly began advertising the "iPhone 32GB" on their website but was quickly corrected.

Meanwhile, MacTalk.com.au reports that according to their sources, Vodafone has sent out an email to retail staff indicating that the 16GB iPhone has been marked "end of life" by their supplier.

With WWDC just weeks away, these could represent legitimate leaks pointing to an imminent iPhone refresh.

Article Link: 32GB iPhone Advertised, 16GB End of Life'd?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Yay, it's about time! One of my family members is waiting for the new iPhone before upgrading from a Gen 1 iPhone, so this is excellent to hear!

Schizoid

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
UK
Zero Euros! wow that's cheap, although someone's bound to complain even it it WAS that price!

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I was kind of hoping for a 16gb with new hardware. I just simply dont need 32gb of storage. But it seems more likely that 32gb will be all the rage. And with the current 16gb at EOD I dont think my wish will come true. :( Oh well.

grantrobarts

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
CA
I would like to be able to put my entire iTunes library on my phone, and 32GB makes that possible for me. I know others have way more than 30GB.

But I hope that whatever performance upgrades are going to be highly noticeable. My only gripes about the phone right now are speed and battery life.

eftrix

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
I think that apple are going to use the current 8gb iphone as a new cheaper entry level iphone and use a 32gb one for the serious users. But i think that discontinuing a 16gb version would be a mistake because it would bring iphone to only two types of people, the people who can afford a 32gb and the people who have saved up all their money for a 8gb but what about the person in between? Ah well :(

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
dropping the 16 and not the 8 would make no sense and not be at all in line with apple's past practices. I think it will be 16 and 32 or maybe 32 only but not 8 and 32.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think that apple are going to use the current 8gb iphone as a new cheaper entry level iphone and use a 32gb one for the serious users. But i think that discontinuing a 16gb version would be a mistake because it would bring iphone to only two types of people, the people who can afford a 32gb and the people who have saved up all their money for a 8gb but what about the person in between? Ah well :(
I doubt that the 16GB model will go away entirely. I think it's just being replaced by one with better hardware.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Exactly...

Plus a 32 Gig version is going to be rather expensive.... if not, the plan will be...
I don't know that it would be. Didn't Apple drop the price on the 8GB iPod Touch, then make the 16GB the same as the old 8GB, with the 32GB staying at the old 16GB price point? I would think they would do the same with the iPhone if a 32GB version was released.

ULFoaf

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
The Bayou City, USA
100 Gb!

A 32GB iPhone would be a start for me. My music library is well over 100GB, of course, I don't actually listen to all of that on a regular basis.
Man, do you even remember what you have? That's a buncha tunes ....

I only have about 5GB and I occasionally think "Who was that and where did it come from?" and have to look at what's playing ...

Andruw91

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Connecticut
I was waiting for a 32gb. That all I wanted out of it so I can carry all my music around and still have plenty of space left over. Can't wait for the new iphone

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Man, do you even remember what you have? That's a buncha tunes ....

I only have about 5GB and I occasionally think "Who was that and where did it come from?" and have to look at what's playing ...
I have 99.1GB worth of music. It's well organized, though, and automatically updates as I add new stuff, thanks to smart playlists. :D

That said, I wonder how long it'll be before flash gets small/cheap enough to make a 128GB or larger iPhone/iPod touch...

robothero

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
8 & 32gb would be a stupid combination.
Have you guys considered that they aren't just completely removing the 16GB phone but it is being refreshed?

It's completely possible that by the end of the summer we either have

8GB - old
16GB, 32GB - new hardware

or

8GB - old
16GB - new hardware

ULFoaf

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
The Bayou City, USA
Suprising the 16GB might be going away ...

I don't know that it would be. Didn't Apple drop the price on the 8GB iPod Touch, then make the 16GB the same as the old 8GB, with the 32GB staying at the old 16GB price point? I would think they would do the same with the iPhone if a 32GB version was released.
You would think the 8GB would be the dropped one. Maybe the 8GB iPhone 3G will drop significantly in price (the $99 dollar rumor again) and they will continue to sell it, with the new one being the premier product.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I doubt that the 16GB model will go away entirely. I think it's just being replaced by one with better hardware.
Have you guys considered that they aren't just completely removing the 16GB phone but it is being refreshed?

It's completely possible that by the end of the summer we either have

8GB - old
16GB, 32GB - new hardware

or

8GB - old
16GB - new hardware
Did you see my earlier post about this exact same topic? I suspect exactly the same thing you suspect... I quoted my own post for clarity. :p:eek:

robothero

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Didn't see it but good to see we agree :p

Seems like often times people don't read between the lines with these kind of rumors.

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
What if they are dropping both 8gb and 16gb? Now it will be 32gb and 64gb at the previous price points.

Who knows, Apple has surprised us in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.