3DS launches March 24th!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Dagless, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

27th in US. We even get the new Pokemon game a few days earlier too, how odd of Nintendo! My preorder is down now.

£229
    $249

One friend code per user.

3D video content from Aardman, Sky and Eurosport.

Gameboy/Gameboy Colour download shop. Has the option of buying with real money too and not e-points.

2. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I would really, really love to have this. However, I have so little time for gaming right now I can't even complete the games I have for the Wii / DS (at least 4 games back log for both of them), so I don't know if I can justify an entire new system. On top of that money is insanely tight right now, as I'm trying to do uni in another country and we have no grant money right now and I'm not allowed to work here. Which is annoying b/c it looks so good. Ugh, guess I'll just stop by a store to drool over it once a month or so.

I envy those that will have MarioKart on this, along with all the other games that I'm sure will be great.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Reserving judgement for two reasons.

Region lock.

Reportedly very very poor viewing angles when 3D is enabled. Most of previews from the show seemed to suggest they had to turn the 3d off, and there are many reports of headaches.

Don't see point in buying a 3D console if you have to turn the 3D off the majority of the time.

That being said, I'll probably end up getting one at some point, but maybe not launch.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I wasn't even aware there was a Mario Kart game for it. Looks like I have my first 3DS game preordered :eek:. Was looking for a good launch title to buy too (since I'm probably just going to use mine for DS and GB games for a good while).

The region lock bothered me too, but apparently it's at the discretion of publishers. So I'm happy that it wont be in all games (just most :p).
    I'd be leaping over the moon if it was region free.

5. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I love Nintendo and thought they made great portable gaming systems but I think this is a serious misstep. I reserve my final judgment until I get my hands on a system myself.

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

No launch titles I really care too much about, making the price not worth it. Don't care for $50 games either.

I'm waiting for the psp2 (at e3, hopefully).

7. -SD- macrumors 6502

I'd get one just for Zelda, Pilotwings and Starfox. But not at £230! That's ridiculous for a handheld machine that's primarily aimed at kids. Especially with the current global financial situation.

The 3 - 5 hour battery life is pathetic and the 3D effect can apparently cause headaches. Nine to 12 months after release, when Nintendo inevitably release the new 3DS+, with a much increased battery life for a much more reasonable price I'll consider it. But only if I can have a play with one for a few hours first to make sure my head doesn't explode from the 3D effect.

Anyway, have fun with Pilotwings. See you summer 2012.

:apple:

8. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Those are from Japanese tabloids. It's not real.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Gotta disagree there. Nintendo's handheld systems have always had a varied library. Have you seen the launch lineup? Metal Gear Solid, Street Fighter, 2 Resident Evil games, Madden, Ridge Racer, Asphalt. Even those Zelda and Mario titles are universal. The only obvious kids title I see is Nintendogs.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I want pilotwings. I have loved that series and was seriously upset that I went two whole home console generations without seeing a sequel to Pilotwings / Pilotwings 64.

So looks like I will be buying a 3DS.

Is Pilotwings a launch title ?

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I believe Pilotwings is a launch title. No 3DS e-shop and no Ocarina of Time at launch, but oh well!

Changed my preorder 3 times now. GAME has it for £229, Play at 219 and Shopto at 199 (they are freakin brilliant at preorders btw, they dispatch early via recorded courier at no extra charge).

12. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Bleh.

£229 is a fair chunk of change for a start, and certainly a long way off the current pricing of the DSi. I for one would certainly wait for some deep price cuts, but knowing Nintendo that's unlikely to happen any time this year. I can't see parents being willing to drop that much coin as well - I reckon DSi sales will continue to be strong.

Second, it looks old. The design hasn't changed since the DS, bar a few tweaks, yet other hardware looks sleek and slim in comparison - even the PSPgo! Nintendo have to realise they're competing with Apple as well, and Apple know how to make things small and look good too. It looks fat, pocket-unfriendly and not modern.

Personally, 3D is rubbish - but that's due to my own eyesight. Hearing multiple reports that it only works from one very narrow angle? Not so good - but I'll reserve judgement until the public gets hands on them.

Finally, the battery life. Oh my days. Are we regressing here? 3.5 - 5 hours? Is that it? My iPad far outdoes that...

Things I'd make better:
    1) Modern casing, not a boring box
    2) Battery life
    3) Cost
    4) Region lock
    5) Capacitive touch and ditch the stylus

13. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I may end up waiting for the inevitable 3DS "lite". $250 seems like a lot for a handheld console and I am not impressed with the battery life. Quite frankly I am not impressed with the launch lineup either. A few of them are games I would buy if I had the 3DS already, but they're not exactly console sellers for me.

Plus Pokémon Black & White will keep my DSi in fairly good use for a long while. :D

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm going to get one, but why can't we get the 3DS XL now? I started wearing glassess last year, so now I'm no longer a fan of tiny screens. :eek:

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ I heard they're pretty cool...

and the VG store by work has a long waiting list already... :eek:

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I should probably pre-order it. At least I can get Blue or Black at launch, instead of having to wait. :)

18. alukado macrumors member

3DS still worth a shot , Nintendo never let me down . :cool:

19. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh man! I cancelled my preorder (waiting till summer when we get the proper games) but I've just played around with a Japanese import. It works! It really friggin works! Quite heavy though, feels more like a PSP.

Just waiting on Ocarina of Time, Kid Icarus and the download shop to open...

20. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

21. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

22. linkedPIXEL macrumors newbie

I've never been big into handheld consoles, but the 3DS has intrigued me enough to buy it as soon as its available.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've pre-ordered sand will be trading in my dsi xl.

Only buying 1 game from launch lineup and that's Pilotwing.s. The other launch titles do no interest me.

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Pilot Wings in the only game I want from launch.

When I do get my 3DS though, I'll use it as an excuse to finally finish up Zelda Spirit Tracks.

25. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Does anybody else beside me think the launch titles suck?

I was gonna pre-order the 3DS but I don't like any of the games. I'd be buying some random game just to try out a $250 piece of hardware.