Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glanv

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
I haven't reached my buddy with the digital camera, but I will. I found out there's an apple store in chicago, that's still a pretty good haul for me, but I just might head on up there and see what they can do for me. I'll be madder than a wet hen though if i drive 4 hours to that damned city and who knows how long finding the place, just to get shoved off. So if you see some crazy carrying on in chicago at the apple store when you're watching the news in the next couple days, that'll be me.

I took some time and read through what yall been sayin, and from the sound of things apple's being cooperative. I had an ipod with the color screen and video there last year, darn headphone jack and battery died out, so shes sitting in the drawer covered in dust with my good tunes stuck on it. I went out on a limb and bought this iphone contraption cause they said it'd replace my broke down ipod. From what I can gather, apple builds absolute junk. great ideas, but junk. now I know i've only had 2 products but both of them 2 have gone to the birds. now my sony vaio notebook pc is running just fine. so is my panasonics tv. my fridgidare runs smooth. got no problems with my panasonic telephone or john deere tractors. i even bought me a nice 05' mercedes travellin car, runs great, but still can't beat my gmc dually. my point is apple is battin' 0 for 2 in my book, you can bet your britches i won't buy another thing from them until I'm sure they start building quality stuff. that's my right as a consumer and that's all there is to it.

that other fella was right, ain't no telephone should be held together by tape. i'm an old fashioned guy, simple but not stupid, hard working. all i'm asking is for a company to have some integrity and pride in its affairs. for cryin out loud i paid over 300 dollars for the darn thing, don't that count for nothing?

You've had bad luck with Apple products yes, but why didn't you return the iPod? Pure law of probability says that not every single thing will be perfect or free from defect. I have had faulty goods from many different manufacturers including Panasonic and Sony, yet i still buy their goods!!

xploit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
You've had bad luck with Apple products yes, but why didn't you return the iPod? Pure law of probability says that not every single thing will be perfect or free from defect. I have had faulty goods from many different manufacturers including Panasonic and Sony, yet i still buy their goods!!

I agree with that. I have definitely had some bad luck with Sony as well as Apple. The thing is, I really love Apple stuff and I think that they are one of the few companies that may still give a s***. I also know without a doubt that they pay attention to this site. So when I complain it's in hopes that it reaches apple.

X-

CongoRedJr

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Chicago

return my ipod to who? darn thing was 6 months old or better when she died. headphone jack and battery, hell there was some sorta smoke coming out of it when the battery went! now i called the wal mart in town about it and being that i bought it 6 or so months before all the shenanigans, I was past their return date. that thing was about 300 bucks too. 1 problem I accepted it and moved on. gave them another shot with this iphone and look what it got me?

now you go on talkin about buying products from these mucky mucks even if they stink? you go right on ahead, a sucker born every minute, i should know, they suckered me into this thing.

if they take care of me tomorrow i'll go about my business and file the experience away under, buy future stuff from apple with caution. but you sell me somethin' it better doggone work and not fall apart on me! i'm sorry you had your problems with sony and panasonic, i have had better luck, but a few minor things i just don't see fit to gripe about, if my vcr fell apart on me you can bet sony would get an earful!

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I suggest you people with cracks start a thread and post your phone's model number so we can maybe see if it really is a "bad batch". Make it a sticky thread!

sgeine

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
ceramic and crystal?

My god you guys drink too much Apple Kool-Aid. its friggin Lexan and was invented by GE in the 50's. its nothing special.

Pretty sure any plastic laminate won't keep these from cracking, and from what I gather about the material Apple is using in the backs of the 3G, it won't be needed to stop scratches either. I have had mine since 8:15 AM on the 11th and there is still not one scratch on the "plastic" back. I suspect it is NOT plastic. Various rumors around the 'net point to a ceramic and crystal coating material combination that is transparent to radio waves yet REALLY hard. I can see fine scratches in the metal Apple logo, but NONE on the white part.

Looks like what it needs is a china cabinet, though. Belt clips and hip pockets need not apply.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
return my ipod to who? darn thing was 6 months old or better when she died. headphone jack and battery, hell there was some sorta smoke coming out of it when the battery went! now i called the wal mart in town about it and being that i bought it 6 or so months before all the shenanigans, I was past their return date. that thing was about 300 bucks too. 1 problem I accepted it and moved on. gave them another shot with this iphone and look what it got me?

now you go on talkin about buying products from these mucky mucks even if they stink? you go right on ahead, a sucker born every minute, i should know, they suckered me into this thing.

if they take care of me tomorrow i'll go about my business and file the experience away under, buy future stuff from apple with caution. but you sell me somethin' it better doggone work and not fall apart on me! i'm sorry you had your problems with sony and panasonic, i have had better luck, but a few minor things i just don't see fit to gripe about, if my vcr fell apart on me you can bet sony would get an earful!

iPods come with a warranty from Apple. you should have called Apple about your iPod and they would have replaced it via mail. Walmart shouldn't be responsible past 30 days. Read the warranty in the iPod box and you would have seen Apple was responsible and should have taken care if it. But for Apple to know you have a problem......YOU have to let them know. Don't have sour grapes because you never let Apple know.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I just checked my original under a mantis viewer ( 8x mag used for circuit board testing/ control) and I found NO cracks at all on the plastic back. I have also dropped my phone many many times from various heights and onto various hard surface. What I'm getting at is that the 3G for sure won't be able to handle that and also there must be significant differences in the plastic back of the original vs. the 3G.

X-

When did you buy your iPhone? Is there a way to tell the build week of your iPhone for comparison to other iPhones with cracks?

glanv

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008

All I am saying is you can't blame the company for a few defective products out of many. The standard deviation is probably extremely low for most major manufacturers. It is nothing about be a sucker if I buy from the same company again, I have the decency to give them another try. I would say the sucker is someone who misses out on a good product because they dwell on a bad (and very remote) incident.

As for returning your iPod, does Apple not offer a warranty where you are?

Anyway, I never meant any offence, so apologies if I did.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Seeing the placement of these cracks almost seems to solidfy the theory that the part of the back that the iPhone rests on when on a surface is made of a harder material that won't break - look at the Will It Blend video and you'll understand...

I only say this because the cracks are forming around where that is and even parallel to an edge between the two materials.

Cracks are always going to be in the thinnest ie weakest regions. Due to the shape and molding characteristics of the phone the plastic around voids (switch holes headphone jack) will be the weakest, followed by the edges. Cracks will usually start at stress risers, or changes cross sectional volume.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Maybe if you read those little pieces of paper that come with your iPod you'd know what the warranty is, who and how to return it.

funman895

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
at apple store

I was at the apple store earlier today and I noticed the white version had a lot of smudges and had cracks, mainly around the headphone jacks (probably from all of the people unplugging and plugging in the headphones constantly)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I suggest you people with cracks start a thread and post your phone's model number so we can maybe see if it really is a "bad batch". Make it a sticky thread!

I really doubt that this is the result of a isolated bad batch. This seems like it is pretty widespread other than the fact that it starts out slow and spreads and at first you have to look hard to see it. Also many people have their phones covered up 24/7 and would not notice it unless they checked. I'm getting the feeling that sooner or later all of these phones will have some cracks and those that use the headphone jacks the most may see a split eventually like some of the pics here. Also if these things acre cracking this easily, imagine how they will NOT hold up if they are even moderately dropped on even carpet compared to anything else. Fast forward 4-6 months from now and the phones may look like they have been in battle. :eek:

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
I really doubt that this is the result of a isolated bad batch. This seems like it is pretty widespread other than the fact that it starts out slow and spreads and at first you have to look hard to see it. Also many people have their phones covered up 24/7 and would not notice it unless they checked. I'm getting the feeling that sooner or later all of these phones will have some cracks and those that use the headphone jacks the most may see a split eventually like some of the pics here. Also if these things acre cracking this easily, imagine how they will NOT hold up if they are even moderately dropped on even carpet compared to anything else. Fast forward 4-6 months from now and the phones may look like they have been in battle. :eek:

I saw the PC World Video and this Phone took alot of abuse. It may be an isolated batch. If not Apple is going to have to replace a lot of Phones. Warranty is a great thing. As for headphone use, why would you buy this if you are not going to use the headphones??? It's and iPod too?:eek:

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Mostly speculative. There's no way to know if all of these will develop this issue at x time. Certainly every MacBook isn't cracked either.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Warranty is a great thing.

Warranties are easily denied. They do it all the time for things that look like abuse (even if they aren't).. such as cracks in the MacBooks or failed components in a MacBook Pro because of an unrelated ding in the case.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
Warranties are easily denied. They do it all the time for things that look like abuse (even if they aren't).. such as cracks in the MacBooks or failed components in a MacBook Pro because of an unrelated ding in the case.

I agree, but if 20,000 phones or better yet 200,000 phones develop these cracks, they are going to have a hard time calling it abuse don't you agree? :eek:

strokesimon

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Good reason to not give a sh*t about my phone

Hell, I'll mess with this one for a while, take it back and put a case on the new one. My current one is nude, no scratches or cracks but once one arrives I'll be heading straight to the Apple store. This sort of makes me happy, I don't have to take care of my current one any longer. I can just say, "Hey, this is what is happening to many others. Give me another!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.