3G - Cracks in Plastic Housing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dogheadboy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. glanv macrumors regular

You've had bad luck with Apple products yes, but why didn't you return the iPod? Pure law of probability says that not every single thing will be perfect or free from defect. I have had faulty goods from many different manufacturers including Panasonic and Sony, yet i still buy their goods!!

2. xploit macrumors regular

I agree with that. I have definitely had some bad luck with Sony as well as Apple. The thing is, I really love Apple stuff and I think that they are one of the few companies that may still give a s***. I also know without a doubt that they pay attention to this site. So when I complain it's in hopes that it reaches apple.

X-

3. CongoRedJr macrumors newbie

CongoRedJr

return my ipod to who? darn thing was 6 months old or better when she died. headphone jack and battery, hell there was some sorta smoke coming out of it when the battery went! now i called the wal mart in town about it and being that i bought it 6 or so months before all the shenanigans, I was past their return date. that thing was about 300 bucks too. 1 problem I accepted it and moved on. gave them another shot with this iphone and look what it got me?

now you go on talkin about buying products from these mucky mucks even if they stink? you go right on ahead, a sucker born every minute, i should know, they suckered me into this thing.

if they take care of me tomorrow i'll go about my business and file the experience away under, buy future stuff from apple with caution. but you sell me somethin' it better doggone work and not fall apart on me! i'm sorry you had your problems with sony and panasonic, i have had better luck, but a few minor things i just don't see fit to gripe about, if my vcr fell apart on me you can bet sony would get an earful!

4. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I suggest you people with cracks start a thread and post your phone's model number so we can maybe see if it really is a "bad batch". Make it a sticky thread!

5. sgeine macrumors newbie

ceramic and crystal?

My god you guys drink too much Apple Kool-Aid. its friggin Lexan and was invented by GE in the 50's. its nothing special.

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

iPods come with a warranty from Apple. you should have called Apple about your iPod and they would have replaced it via mail. Walmart shouldn't be responsible past 30 days. Read the warranty in the iPod box and you would have seen Apple was responsible and should have taken care if it. But for Apple to know you have a problem......YOU have to let them know. Don't have sour grapes because you never let Apple know.

7. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

When did you buy your iPhone? Is there a way to tell the build week of your iPhone for comparison to other iPhones with cracks?

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

This thread is making me sick to my stomach. . . . . . .

9. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Then quit reading it. LOL:D

10. glanv macrumors regular

All I am saying is you can't blame the company for a few defective products out of many. The standard deviation is probably extremely low for most major manufacturers. It is nothing about be a sucker if I buy from the same company again, I have the decency to give them another try. I would say the sucker is someone who misses out on a good product because they dwell on a bad (and very remote) incident.

As for returning your iPod, does Apple not offer a warranty where you are?

Anyway, I never meant any offence, so apologies if I did.

11. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

He's talking about the iPhone 1.0 man. It has an aluminium (english spelling :D) back.

12. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Cracks are always going to be in the thinnest ie weakest regions. Due to the shape and molding characteristics of the phone the plastic around voids (switch holes headphone jack) will be the weakest, followed by the edges. Cracks will usually start at stress risers, or changes cross sectional volume.

13. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Maybe if you read those little pieces of paper that come with your iPod you'd know what the warranty is, who and how to return it.

14. funman895 macrumors member

funman895

at apple store

I was at the apple store earlier today and I noticed the white version had a lot of smudges and had cracks, mainly around the headphone jacks (probably from all of the people unplugging and plugging in the headphones constantly)

15. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

And probably rough plugging and unplugging.

Interestingly enough this thread is now mentioned on www.tuaw.com

16. Damon Hill macrumors regular

Crack(s): Around headphone jack
    Model #: A1241

17. Povilas macrumors 6502a

Povilas

Looks like plastic used in iPhone 3G is the same used in MacBooks and the same prolems came out. Sad.

18. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I really doubt that this is the result of a isolated bad batch. This seems like it is pretty widespread other than the fact that it starts out slow and spreads and at first you have to look hard to see it. Also many people have their phones covered up 24/7 and would not notice it unless they checked. I'm getting the feeling that sooner or later all of these phones will have some cracks and those that use the headphone jacks the most may see a split eventually like some of the pics here. Also if these things acre cracking this easily, imagine how they will NOT hold up if they are even moderately dropped on even carpet compared to anything else. Fast forward 4-6 months from now and the phones may look like they have been in battle. :eek:

19. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I saw the PC World Video and this Phone took alot of abuse. It may be an isolated batch. If not Apple is going to have to replace a lot of Phones. Warranty is a great thing. As for headphone use, why would you buy this if you are not going to use the headphones??? It's and iPod too?:eek:

20. wronski macrumors 6502

Mostly speculative. There's no way to know if all of these will develop this issue at x time. Certainly every MacBook isn't cracked either.

21. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Warranties are easily denied. They do it all the time for things that look like abuse (even if they aren't).. such as cracks in the MacBooks or failed components in a MacBook Pro because of an unrelated ding in the case.

22. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I agree, but if 20,000 phones or better yet 200,000 phones develop these cracks, they are going to have a hard time calling it abuse don't you agree? :eek:

23. Povilas macrumors 6502a

Povilas

It is not, but that plasic is very very very bad.

24. FaustArp macrumors regular

FaustArp

How many people here had a case for theres and what kind? Maybe it had something to do with the cases? There are possibilities..

25. strokesimon macrumors newbie

Good reason to not give a sh*t about my phone

Hell, I'll mess with this one for a while, take it back and put a case on the new one. My current one is nude, no scratches or cracks but once one arrives I'll be heading straight to the Apple store. This sort of makes me happy, I don't have to take care of my current one any longer. I can just say, "Hey, this is what is happening to many others. Give me another!"