Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Commercial Times is reporting that electronics maker Hon Hai is competing to make the next iPhone (via MarketWatch).

The news comes as Gartner is clarifying recent claims that the new phone has already been ordered by Apple. Via Information Week:

That report later got circulated on the Web, where the comments were misinterpreted as a Gartner prediction, Dulaney's boss, Bob Hafner, said.

Gartner doesn't know whether Apple has actually placed an order for 3G iPhones, but the researcher does believe the next version of the touch-screen smartphone will have those high-speed capabilities. "If Apple was to place an order, than 10 million would be a reasonable number," Hafner said. "And we absolutely believe that in the next-generation iPhone 3G will be there."

As to rumors of Apple placing an order for the high-speed phones, Hafner said, "We have not got confirmation that an order had been placed."

Multiple reports have pegged the 3G iPhone to be released in 2008. '3G' is a fast mobile data technology that allows for broadband internet access on mobile phones. The iPhone currently uses EDGE (2.5G) technology, which is most similar to dial-up speeds.

Article Link

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
So this wasn't even a rumour, only speculation...

Well, it was a rumor, but probably one that we would have put on page2 if we were the ones publishing it and knew how verified (or unverified) it was. Hafner said that the report simply wasn't confirmed, not that there wasn't any basis to the claim.

deep

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2007
How much more will it cost for 3G from AT&T vs. EDGE?

I have friends who use 3G from AT&T in my area on non-iPhones, but they only pay the same $20 data plan rate on top of voice. SInce we (iPhone users) already pay the $20 for data, does anyone think AT&T will charge an additional fee for iPhone users, or perhaps an "upgrade" fee for the new iPhone 3G?

carfreak12321

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
Japan
I thought that they already had made the iphones cause they are probably releasing them in June
how can a couple of months be enough time to start building these high tech phones!:)

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
I am guessing that the new iPhone will be unveiled in June during WWDC, shipping in September (or something like that). The timing will make sense since Apple can push for Christmas sales, kind of like the iPods. Also, Apple usually does not go to a new software version unless they are also releasing new hardware alongside. Steve already announced that version 2.0 will be released in June and I expect that it will be coupled with a new iPhone.

And I know... Apple TV version 2.0 is a different story. :)

iphonewiz

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
I tend to agree

I am guessing that the new iPhone will be unveiled in June during WWDC, shipping in September (or something like that). The timing will make sense since Apple can push for Christmas sales, kind of like the iPods. Also, Apple usually does not go to a new software version unless they are also releasing new hardware alongside. Steve already announced that version 2.0 will be released in June and I expect that it will be coupled with a new iPhone.

Yeah, something big will happen at WWDC. An iPhone 2.0 announcement is in the making. I just might attend this one.

Penguinwrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Edgewater, NJ
Damn.

Yesterday's rumor of an order already being placed got my hopes up. I really don't want to have to wait for September, but I can't justify the cost without 3G, especially knowing it's imminent. Oh well. Stuck with my malfunctioning Crackberry for a little longer...

Mister9

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Hate to say it... but I told you so- 10 million phones is the most asinine rumor/speculation, I don't know why macrumors would actually be as naive as to post it. What if there is a glitch? What if there is a hardware problem? 10 million phones??? pphhhhsshh sillyness

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

naroola said:

With that being said do you think that the v2.0 software will even be available for the existing iPhone or just the new 3G iPhone? I hope that current iPhone owners would be able to upgrade their iPhones but when Apple releases a new iPod you pretty much have to buy a new one to get the new interface. I do understand that some of this has to do with hardware restrictions though.

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Multiple news sources, including Dow Jones and CNN are quoting Taiwanese Han Hoi company as claiming to have been awarded exclusive production of "an advanced version" of the iPhone this morning...

surferuke

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
no mystery

we know that there will be a new iphone. we know it will have 3G. we know it will have 32gB of storage space.

the only issue is the announcement date and the date that i can finally drop some cash for one of those puppies.

TC2COOL

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007
Mississippi
But? Apple announced the iPhone in January so it could get FCC approval by June, wouldn't a 3G version have to go though the same hurdles?

Also, 3G isn't that widespread in rural areas, so, for me and millions of others, who cares...

corrado7

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Atlanta
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

With that being said do you think that the v2.0 software will even be available for the existing iPhone or just the new 3G iPhone? I hope that current iPhone owners would be able to upgrade their iPhones but when Apple releases a new iPod you pretty much have to buy a new one to get the new interface. I do understand that some of this has to do with hardware restrictions though.

V2.0 will be available for ALL iphone users including the current version of the phone. I thought i was pretty evident.

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL

Yes... both existing and new iPhone users will be able to install v2.0. This was announced during the March 6th event. However, certain things might be a bit different. For example, the iTunes music store might work with the 3G version (if it's introduced) over the cellular network. Also, bandwidth dependent applications such as youtube work over EDGE but at a lower resolution due to bandwidth constraints. Hopefully over 3G, youtube should work at a higher resolution.

surferuke

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
wrong

Sweet, wish Verizon had it.

krafty, i too have verizon. fortunately, i did not grab a new every 2 phone so i am out of contract, waiting for iphone next gen.

here is my issue: T-mobile offers a perk: 5 friends anywhere. ATT offers a perk: rollover minutes. (i hope the service is good).

my friend, what does verizon "give" us to keep us as customers? is their service that much better to justify no perks?

at least ATT and T-mobile help you believe that it is not all about them.

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
But? Apple announced the iPhone in January so it could get FCC approval by June, wouldn't a 3G version have to go though the same hurdles?

Also, 3G isn't that widespread in rural areas, so, for me and millions of others, who cares...

Usually, devices with 3G fall back on the EDGE network when 3G coverage isn't available. But I do see your point.

corrado7

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Atlanta

FCC approval can take as little as 6 weeks and it can also go into secret testing without posting information on their website.

Just because that was the story with the first phone, does not mean the same thing has to happen with the second gen phone

ruckus

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
I have friends who use 3G from AT&T in my area on non-iPhones, but they only pay the same $20 data plan rate on top of voice. SInce we (iPhone users) already pay the $20 for data, does anyone think AT&T will charge an additional fee for iPhone users, or perhaps an "upgrade" fee for the new iPhone 3G?

No, the data plan is the data plan. My old phone was 3G capable and I could use 3G when it was available, even if it didn't seem very much better in my area.

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
I've been waiting for the 3G but I'm not waiting any longer. It prob. won't be out till the fall.

I'm going ahead and buying now and enjoying my iPhone. Plus, I'm on a university campus and have access to WiFi almost 24-7 anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.