Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TGDaily claims (via IntoMobile.com) to have some new knowledge from "industry sources" about the upcoming 3G iPhone.

According to their sources, the 3G iPhone will indeed be introduced at Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference (WWDC) in June. The 3G iPhone is expected to retain the same price points as the existing iPhone with an 8GB model priced at $399 and a 16GB model priced at $499. While they mention some speculation about a $599 32GB model, this remains unconfirmed.

The 3G iPhone is expected to be housed in a slightly thinner enclosure, less "plasticky" design, with some accelerometer tweaks. The operating system and user interface will remain unchanged.

While TGDaily admits they have not previously been the source of many Apple rumors, they have traditionally been a good source for Intel processor and industry information. Apple's WWDC conference takes place between June 9th-13th at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA.

Article Link

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The pricing details make sense. First of all, it's rare for Apple to increase a product's price with an update, and secondly, people might be more timid to buy an iPhone after a price increase, fearing the price would be dropped within a few months.

Comment

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
unlikely that they will keep the 8gb model because if they can fit 32gb in the ipod touch they can do it in the iphone. but then again they could keep the 8 gb and add the 32 gb but unlikely

Comment

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
unlikely that they will keep the 8gb model because if they can fit 32gb in the ipod touch they can do it in the iphone. but then again they could keep the 8 gb and add the 32 gb but unlikely

i don't think they can fit 32gb in the current iphone unless they change the case

Comment

smkmn13

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
price per month?

I'm interested to see if they up the per-month charge. As of right now, the per-month charge is FAR cheaper than any other ATT data package offering (and pretty much any other provider, except for helio, i suppose). I assume this is because it's not 3G? Or is ATT keeping the others higher as part of a deal with apple?

Comment

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
hence they said in the aricle a changed case "slightly thinner enclousure"

I'd love to them to drop the 8GB, make 16gb $299, 32gb, $399, and then that leaves from for a 64gb some day at the top of the batting order.

how could an even slimmer case give more room for larger storage capacities

Comment

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
i really hope they add something other than 3G. OR maybe not.
I would be compelled to ditch my existing iPhone if the new one sported a higher resolution camera and perhaps a couple other perks.

What does exactly with the "accelerometer tweaks" entail?

Comment

D 5

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
ATT must do their part in the next couple of weeks.
Lower rates, better plans, better service.

Apple will not be happy...

Comment

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
This does sound pretty logical. Upgrade the data speed, and then turn around and upgrade the capacity next year when the higher density NAND flash chips become available (to enable 32GB). Especially if the unit is somehow thinner - they probably wont have the space on PCB for another two flash chips to get up to 32GB.

They dont want to put out the perfect hardware immediately, then you wont have reason to buy the iphone again in a year when they upgrade the capacity. Also why the chip they're planning doesn't have HSUPA for fast uploads. They can introduce direct youtube video uploads then.

Comment

smkmn13

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
ATT must do their part in the next couple of weeks.
Lower rates, better plans, better service.

Apple will not be happy...

I feel like the current price for unlimited data/email is VERY competitive...

Service...well, no mobile company has great service...but ATT is decent, right?

Comment

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX

The iPod Touch has 2 Flash chips. The iPhone only has space for one due to the other wireless hardware installed.

Comment

grpaul349

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
how the ipod touch is thinner than the iphone and there is only a few more things in the iphone and they arent that thick

In one of the conference calls I recall Jobs mentioning there will be a memory disparity between the touch and iphone due to the extra internals of the iphone. It is a phone too afterall.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Less "plasticky" than glass and metal? :eek: I guess stone would be kind of nifty.

I'd jump on a $599 32 GB in a heartbeat.

Comment

Retired
May 16, 2006
In one of the conference calls I recall Jobs mentioning there will be a memory disparity between the touch and iphone due to the extra internals of the iphone. It is a phone too afterall.

He did say that, but aren't the drives the same physical size?

Comment

tles

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
Are You Crazy?

First of all,

You are nuts to think the price would actually drop! That is CRAZY! Even though the price on flash memory has dropped, prices will either stay or most likely rise, even with a RECESSION! Second, any iPhone will never be slimmer than the iPod Touch, since phone capabilities are almost impossible to get that thin, and be expected to function as flawlessly as Apple demands, no chance on either of these matters, SORRY!:apple::mad:

Oh, and AT&T will likely raise data connection prices for 3G, because running EDGE versus 3G bandwidths is quite a bit more expensive!

Comment

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
First of all,

You are nuts to think the price would actually drop! That is CRAZY! Even though the price on flash memory has dropped, prices will either stay or most likely rise, even with a RECESSION! Second, any iPhone will never be slimmer than the iPod Touch, since phone capabilities are almost impossible to get that thin, and be expected to function as flawlessly as Apple demands, no chance on either of these matters, SORRY!:apple::mad:

Oh, and AT&T will likely raise data connection prices for 3G, because running EDGE versus 3G bandwidths is quite a bit more expensive!

who said the price of the iphone was going to drop? i think everyone here agrees that it will stay at the same price

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.