Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today, a rumor about a 22% thinner 3G iPhone with GPS priced at $200 hit the Mac web. In looking back, however, this is not the first time we've heard this exact set of specs. Scott Mortiz first reported on this on April 29th. At the time, he described a $200 subsidy from AT&T for the 3G iPhone. It would come in at 8GB and 16GB sizes at $399 and $499, but after a $200 subsidy, these prices would fall to $199 (8GB) and $299 (16GB).

Moritz also specifically says that the new iPhone will be 2.5mm thinner than the current iPhone, which happens to work out to 22% thinner (2.5mm/11.6mm), corresponding nicely to Kahney's 22% thinner figure. Kahney and Moritz diverge on the capacity of the iPhone, however, as Kahney claims 16GB and 32GB sizes for the new iPhone. Regardless, this paints a picture of the following possible "thin iPhone":

Thin iPhone
- $199 (8GB or 16GB), $299 (16GB or 32GB), possibly subsidized by AT&T
- 3G, GPS, 22% thinner
- Possible longer battery

However, it's also clear that there's another set of rumors circulating which are also consistent with each other. The so-called "thick iPhone" rumor started at Engadget and depicted in the XSKN case designs.

Thick iPhone
- 3G, GPS, slightly thicker
- Glossy back, rounded back
- Non-recessed headphone jack, additional sensor?

Add in recent whispers of high end pricing of the 16GB ($499) and 32GB ($699) models, and this introduces the possibility that these rumors together could represent a range of iPhone models.

Both?
- $399 (8GB), $499 (16GB), $699 (32GB) retail prices
- Possible $200 subsidy bringing prices to $199 (8GB), $299 (16GB), $499 (32GB)
- 3GB, GPS, ? Video Conferencing
- Low capacity models thinner, high capacity models thicker

Of course, alternatively, one or none of these rumors could be true. As we've said before, Apple has been known to purposefully spread misinformation in order to confuse the rumor sites. Official announcements are expected next week during the Worldwide Developer Conference keynote which takes place on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

Article Link

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Regular phone is thinner.

Phone + add-on GPS/Battery unit is thicker.

This is 100% true and there will be no further discussion on the subject.
:D

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Another thing... Has anyone heard any mumblings of a concrete ship date?

I have my current iPhone for sale on eBay now. I would hate to be without a phone for a month.

i would guess they want them for sale asap considering the current models havent' been available through apple for a bit.

icy-macpro

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
This is getting way to wack

Im just going to wait till june 9th, i love my iphone anyways :) 16gb!

if its really a beauty, ill get myself one. with an air.
ughh too many rumors.

THICKER? & THIN?

this aint crackers.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
If this is from Apple, they're doing a good job of confusing us. "I didn't understand a word you just said."

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
ok so here is what's going on:

$199 - iPhone 8GB with 3G (no GPS)

$299 - iPhone 16GB with 3G (no GPS)

$399 - iPhone 8GB with 3G AND GPS

$499 - iPhone 16GB with 3G AND GPS

Me thinks the inclusion of GPS will make the iPhone fatter to accommodate the battery to withstand the rapid drainage from GPS activation. Technology has advanced enough for 1 year to reduce the thickness of iPhone with 3G but more battery will be needed for GPS.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Anyone from MR going to post that WWDC counter. Need to keep fueling the hype around WWDC. I downloaded the widget for my dashboard (the only one that is correct date and time). Can't wait, but I know that I will have to the biggest and best one. Sign me up for the thick (like em big:D) 3G, GPS and Video Conference version.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
ok so here is what's going on:

$199 - iPhone 8GB with 3G (no GPS)

$299 - iPhone 16GB with 3G (no GPS)

$399 - iPhone 8GB with 3G AND GPS

$499 - iPhone 16GB with 3G AND GPS

Me thinks the inclusion of GPS will make the iPhone fatter to accommodate the battery to withstand the rapid drainage from GPS activation. Technology has advanced enough for 1 year to reduce the thickness of iPhone with 3G but more battery will be needed for GPS.

I think you are right on except the $399 will be 16gb and $499 will be 32gb

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Phew, what a mystery. I am so looking forward to finding out the truth next week.

And to buying a new, 3G iPhone!

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
Regular phone is thinner.

Phone + add-on GPS/Battery unit is thicker.

This is 100% true and there will be no further discussion on the subject.
:D

The problem with that is that Apple looses the wow factor if they have it be external. I mean, if you think about every major update to the iPod, there is always something there that gives it something for Jobs to say "Boom" about. It just isn't "Boom"-looking. Here, I'll explain:

I mean, if you think about it, we have the iPod, which wasn't that great of a device, then the second gen iPod, which brought in heat sensors, then third gen iPod and the click wheel. Then, one day in September of 2005, we had our brains blown out by the iPod Nano. This thing was smaller than a pencil!

Then, in 2007, Steve brought out the shoe-in for the invention of the year, the iPhone. Now, while the iPhone cannot have much more wow packed into it, we must remember that if Steve Jobs wants something, that he'll get it. If he wants it smaller and more powerful, then the man gets it.

I REALLY doubt there will be 2 sizes of iPhones without a SUBSTANTIAL difference of quality. I really don't think the addition of gps would alter the size so dramatically.

I couldn't imagine apple making 2 sizes of iphones anyways (without making one an uber tiny nano-like phone) so I don't think that'll happen. But IF it does the big one will have gps, and video chat, and better camera, and perhaps even more (exclusivly 3g?), leaving a thin basic version of the iphone for $200.

Too many rumors! But I am 95% sure they will all be the same size. It'd be much simpler to make cases and cause less overall confusion. Apple is all about keeping things simple for the consumer.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
a $200 subsidy would be sweet. that way when my current iphone sells on ebay for $400 I can buy the new one for 1/2 that and get a apple tv for just a little extra, I hope that comes true :)

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well the MacBook Air put style over substance, so why not do it with the iPhone? :D

Seriously, breaking the iPhone market into two levels makes some sense, as Apple does that with many of their product lines. So we'd have a "value line" without all the bells and whistles, but a thinner form factor and lower price and a "pro line" with all the goodies, but a thicker form factor to accommodate them.

So could we see an "iPhone" and "iPhone Pro"?

And I hope the 32GB model is $499, as well. Preferably before any discounts. ;)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I REALLY doubt there will be 2 sizes of iPhones without a SUBSTANTIAL difference of quality. I really don't think the addition of gps would alter the size so dramatically.

I couldn't imagine apple making 2 sizes of iphones anyways (without making one an uber tiny nano-like phone) so I don't think that'll happen.

The higher capacity iPod Classic and lower capacity iPod Classic have been different thicknesses for a long time.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_classic?mco=MTE2NTc

arn

D 5

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Phone tapping into different antennas for better reception would be nice...

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006

I couldn't imagine apple making 2 sizes of iphones anyways (without making one an uber tiny nano-like phone) so I don't think that'll happen. But IF it does the big one will have gps, and video chat, and better camera, and perhaps even more (exclusivly 3g?), leaving a thin basic version of the iphone for $200.

Too many rumors! But I am 95% sure they will all be the same size. It'd be much simpler to make cases and cause less overall confusion. Apple is all about keeping things simple for the consumer.

They still have different thicknesses for the different sizes of the iPod Classic (to accomodate the different hard drive sizes); it wouldn't shock me at all if they had different thicknesses for the iPhone, too.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The problem with that is that Apple looses the wow factor if they have it be external. I mean, if you think about every major update to the iPod, there is always something there that gives it something for Jobs to say "Boom" about. It just isn't "Boom"-looking. Here, I'll explain:

I mean, if you think about it, we have the iPod, which wasn't that great of a device, then the second gen iPod, which brought in heat sensors, then third gen iPod and the click wheel. Then, one day in September of 2005, we had our brains blown out by the iPod Nano. This thing was smaller than a pencil!

Then, in 2007, Steve brought out the shoe-in for the invention of the year, the iPhone. Now, while the iPhone cannot have much more wow packed into it, we must remember that if Steve Jobs wants something, that he'll get it. If he wants it smaller and more powerful, then the man gets it.

Joke, Joyce. A joke.

iceman1234

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
Apple is Apple

Apple is usually not the type of company to not include all of their cutting edge features in their newest products (except for the macbook air without a cd drive:D ) personally i don't believe in the ":apple:iPhone Air"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.