Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
Ok so I am a little wrong. The first post in this tread just extends that sterotype people see of apple users.

There are way to many of those out there.

in my OP I listed reason why people do not want an iPhone and how things with Windows Mobile or BB are better in some ways.
I also listed the reason why I will not buy an iPhone. I plan on getting an iPod touch which gets me almost everything but the Phone part. Like I said to me the iPhone fails at being a phone first. I want my cell to be a phone first everything else 2nd.

Can you tell me how the iPhone fails at being a phone? If you're going to say that it drops calls all the time... I don't believe that is the iPhone's fault - it would be an issue with AT&T. And that is not to say that AT&T sucks; everywhere that I go has great coverage, even way up in the middle of Wisconsin at our cottages, I still get service. My 3GS makes perfect calls, I receive calls, make calls, I have an awesome visual voicemail, and I can make a call through voice control without having to record my voice in advance (to mention a few of the features). What more do you want out of the phone?

So as you can tell, I really like my 3GS just like many others do... will I look down upon someone who doesn't have one? Probably not, but it's fun to joke around with friends :)

EternalTL2k3

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
Reasons (in no particular order):
1 - Texting --> fat fingers (omg, i can't type) OR need a keyboard because they feel the need to want to type while driving - I think typing while not looking is a main reason for this desire for a keyboard (whether in class, meetings, driving, etc)
2 - don't want to follow the crowd but by doing so follow the anti-iphone crowd
3 - don't want to pay the huge fees associated with getting an iphone plan
4 - like verizon too much (i don't get this one - but then again, i don't expect reception 10,000 leagues under the sea while a verizon customer may)
5 - aren't addicted to the internet - for those people, the iphone is overrated and a waste of money when their v60 is doing the same job the iphone would do. Also, let's face it, people don't know how to sync an ipod and to get a phone that requires a computer??? its not going to make a lot of sense

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Reasons (in no particular order):
1 - Texting --> fat fingers (omg, i can't type) OR need a keyboard because they feel the need to want to type while driving - I think typing while not looking is a main reason for this desire for a keyboard (whether in class, meetings, driving, etc)
2 - don't want to follow the crowd but by doing so follow the anti-iphone crowd
3 - don't want to pay the huge fees associated with getting an iphone plan
4 - like verizon too much (i don't get this one - but then again, i don't expect reception 10,000 leagues under the sea while a verizon customer may)
5 - aren't addicted to the internet - for those people, the iphone is overrated and a waste of money when their v60 is doing the same job the iphone would do. Also, let's face it, people don't know how to sync an ipod and to get a phone that requires a computer??? its not going to make a lot of sense

Thanks for your response. This was the kind of info. I was wondering about.
Again, my attitude in the first post is regrettable and I apologize. I didn't want to come off as looking down on other phone users as tuly, in real life, I don't.

I look up to my wife and she still insists on using the Sliver, refusing even to take over my 3G.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Can you tell me how the iPhone fails at being a phone? If you're going to say that it drops calls all the time... I don't believe that is the iPhone's fault - it would be an issue with AT&T. And that is not to say that AT&T sucks; everywhere that I go has great coverage, even way up in the middle of Wisconsin at our cottages, I still get service. My 3GS makes perfect calls, I receive calls, make calls, I have an awesome visual voicemail, and I can make a call through voice control without having to record my voice in advance (to mention a few of the features). What more do you want out of the phone?

So as you can tell, I really like my 3GS just like many others do... will I look down upon someone who doesn't have one? Probably not, but it's fun to joke around with friends :)

It is not that that it fails at being a phone. It just fails at being a phone first everything else 2nd. The more I see the iPhone and the more I play with it the more I see that the phone part is 2ndary to the iPhone.
The iPhone primary function seems to a portable music player/ mobile browser. The phone part just falls into the 2ndary category. I want my phone to be primarily a phone everything else 2nd.

Basicly the iPhone is an iPod touch that can act like a phone when needed.

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
3G S iPhone Owners: Do you look at other non-iPhone users with distain?

No. If anything I'm embarrassed that I spent so much on a phone and try to hide it from co-workers. What can I say though... I'm addicted to mobile internet and there's no better device than the iPhone so I'll be buying one every year...

EternalTL2k3

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
It is not that that it fails at being a phone. It just fails at being a phone first everything else 2nd. The more I see the iPhone and the more I play with it the more I see that the phone part is 2ndary to the iPhone.
The iPhone primary function seems to a portable music player/ mobile browser. The phone part just falls into the 2ndary category. I want my phone to be primarily a phone everything else 2nd.

Basicly the iPhone is an iPod touch that can act like a phone when needed.

I think there is a great selection of "phones" which are great for calling (Press Dial) and ****** at doing anything else - minimal to no music playing ability (no video either), lame browser run on a tiny screen, almost no apps, terrible operating system, etc etc.

i think this argument of yours of "want a phone first" doesn't hold much water. If you want it to ONLY be a phone, then ONLY make calls on it. The thing is that an iphone is an all-in-one phone which is a phone, an ipod, an internet communicator.... i'll say it again, a phone, an ipod, an internet communicator....

Jim82

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Seattle
Alright, not really distain, but with some confusion? I know there are many options in the higher end cell phone department but honestly, I don't get those who purchase new phones and don't really even take the time to consider the iPhone.

I see them all around my on the train ride to work each morning (I commute from Encinitas to San Diego). Sparkling new phones, but not the iPhone.

Possibly I'm the one who needs to take the blinders off, but really, if I wasn't an iPhone user and I was definitely in the market for a new phone- why wouldn't I purchase the iPhone?

Less rhetorical than it sounds, I'd really like to know.

What a rude and completely unnecessary thread. I feel sorry for the OP for being so materialistic. You must live a sad life, I pity the fool that derives self-joy / self-fulfillment from picking on others. Just maybe you ******, they are unable to afford the iPhone and the rather expensive data plan, or just have a great discuss for AT&T. But probably more so, they don't want to be associated with the likes of you. Gosh, what a horrid post.

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks for your response. This was the kind of info. I was wondering about.
Again, my attitude in the first post is regrettable and I apologize. I didn't want to come off as looking down on other phone users as tuly, in real life, I don't.

I look up to my wife and she still insists on using the Sliver, refusing even to take over my 3G.

thank you for posting that. I honestly, honestly try my best not to look with disdain at ANYONE for anything they have --or don't have. I am not perfect and I pray all the time for the wisdom to guard against this.

This is right up there with talking about other people...

This is a really awful thread.

Blakjack1013

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Atlanta Ga
Wtf

Only towards people with blackberry storms. That phone sucks.

Boy Does It Ever!!!! Its amazing how much hype came with that phone and for it to sink the way it did, means that there are some rediculously stupid people in charge of reviewing phones. That piece of **** in my opinion was no where near respectable!!

Click THIS Blackberry!!!!!!!!!!

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Reason 1: They don't want to be lumped in with a group of people who act/think like you.

And it's people like u that prove how READING THE WHOLE THREAD helps. RTFT. The OP said about 6 time that he didn't mean to come off as sounding like that. Jeez you (and the other 4 or so people guilty of the same thing) are almost as bad as the ppl replying to the OP saying distain......

Oh yeah and I couldn't care less about other ppl having an iPhone. In fact, it's pretty cool seeing the new things other phones may have to offer. Ex: my parents have the Instinct and it isn't as bad as it seems. If I was still with sprint I wouldve definitely looked at that phone (and the Pre). Plus other phones like blackberries are definitely better in certain situations (job, texting, MMS, etc)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Alright, not really distain, but with some confusion? I know there are many options in the higher end cell phone department but honestly, I don't get those who purchase new phones and don't really even take the time to consider the iPhone.

I see them all around my on the train ride to work each morning (I commute from Encinitas to San Diego). Sparkling new phones, but not the iPhone.

Possibly I'm the one who needs to take the blinders off, but really, if I wasn't an iPhone user and I was definitely in the market for a new phone- why wouldn't I purchase the iPhone?

Less rhetorical than it sounds, I'd really like to know.

Who gives a s**t!

I nominate this thread for dumbest thread of the year.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm supposed to be in the market for an iPhone, but I'm more than happy with my unlocked Razr.
Hey I'm off to mainland 'Yurp in a couple of months. But no worry I can just buy a local sim for the country and drop it into my Razr and be able to keep in (affordable) touch with my family there.

Aka, I don't want a locked phone.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I bashed someone the other day because they had a Samsung Omnia.

Bashed 'em real good.

Peachers

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
Texas
To answer in my point of view, rephrasing the question to 'Why don't I have an iPhone?' Simply cause I like Verizon too much to switch to AT&T. I don't think the coverage where I live is too good. I sometimes get my friends texts like a week late! Like when my friend went to China last month and I got her text saying she left 3 weeks after she actually left.. I usually always have full bars with Verizon and my texts arrive super fast when I play around texting a friend right next to me. I'm awfully young and don't have a job (parents are there for me:p) so I won't be the one handling the what phone and service I would want.
The other reasons, I have a iPod Touch, dang how I really dislike typing on it lol. Even in landscape mode when offered (a bit better than portrait though). I rather have a physical keyboard or a touch screen that could most of the time be in landscape mode. I currently have the LG Env2 which is GREAT, with a physical keyboard. My only turn off with that phone is that the front on the phone is so, weird? Looks like a calculator to me! AT&T is expensive for bad coverage..(again where i live). My Dad and I considering to get a Storm. I play around with it at the store and head a lot of negative complaints about it but it seems, nice. I do like the iPhone a lot though! Just waiting one day, maybe one day, it'll come to the CDMA network Verizon. :D (Dream, can't I?) I wish Verizon would've accepted it the first time. Oh well.

richmonddjs

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
Richmond, Va.
At first I do but the realize and thank them for not getting one to clog up the already clogged up AT&T network.

At&t, don't sell so many damn phones your system can't handle. Any idiot knows that.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I went from a 3G to a Palm Pre and I've never been happier. Just get the phone that makes you happy and that's all there is. Who cares what other people have? You do realize with the low cost of the iPhone there's no prestige left in at all?

I bought a 2G for $600 on launch day and while I'm not shallow, at that time for a few months before the price drop, it meant something to have an iPhone. Now the iPhone is becoming the Moto Razr of our time.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.