Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Anyone else think the mobile iTunes Store will see a big update to allow downloads of apps directly to the iPhone/ iPod Touch, also video would be a nice add to the mobile store.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Anyone else think the mobile iTunes Store will see a big update to allow downloads of apps directly to the iPhone/ iPod Touch, also video would be a nice add to the mobile store.

I'm personally HOPING they make the Mobile iTunes store available Over the Air.

Very rarely am I in a WiFi hotspot when I'm out and about with the Phone. I'd love just to be able to even BROWSE the store without being on Wifi.

I mean a song is only 3 to 4 megabytes. I think they'd get a ton more sales if they allowed it OTA

I've probably only used the store once or twice. because of that very reason.

JosephEsquivel

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
im sellin my ipod saturday, so i really hope the new iphone comes out next week or im out of music for awhile

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
I think this is the only stevenote that i have seen where there is this much confusion as to what/when the stuff will be released. What I am thinking is that the new iPhone will be RELEASED during steves keynote (I think this because of apple's huge shipments from china to the US a couple of weeks ago), but it will come with 1.1.5. This 1.1.5 update will go to all the iphones the people currently have and the new 3G ones. Then I think the 2.0 software will come out at the "end of june" (my reason for thinking that is because of AT&T's schedule thingy). Am i wrong? Do you guys think apple would be crazy releasing the new 3G iPhone without the 2.0 software?

carlitol

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
Monday!!!!

Does anyone know how to find out what is up on the 9th? Will there be a webcast or on TV? Is there some where on the web to watch postings?
Thanks? :confused:

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Does anyone know how to find out what is up on the 9th? Will there be a webcast or on TV? Is there some where on the web to watch postings?
Thanks? :confused:

Macrumors has live *text* coverage, as do all of the other big tech news sites (Gizmodo, Engadget etc.)

Also, Leo Laporte will be doing some video coverage from his studio providing commentary etc and then interviews with people from his team who are actually at WWDC following the Keynote... at http://twitlive.tv

Can't wait for Monday.

J

jmadlena

The release of the app store implies a new version of iTunes. Wonder what new features (other than the apps store of course) we might see in this new version?

I'm hoping that it will be more than that; thinking iTunes 8. iTunes 7 has been around for a very long time, and it still carbon based for goodness sake. I think iTunes is one of the lowest quality Apple apps, and could really use a redo.

It is just so messy in my opinion, also slow to open. iTunes needs a new face, and body for that matter.

Merlosso

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Expect no more than an announcement on 6/9

I'm hoping this isn't true at all. As a developer, it's very annoying to have the release date pulled forward, and have my app not be ready in time for the store to open. The SDK is still in beta, and there have been changes to the API with each beta version, which breaks previously working code. Plus, the majority of people developing apps with the SDK still do not have the ability to even test on an iPhone, just the simulator. A lot of us are still waiting for permission, due to the limited number of people they're letting in for the beta period.

Setting aside my annoyance at possibly losing out on an initial buying frenzy for my app, I really don't want a store filled with barely tested, beta SDK based, apps. The responsible thing to do would be to announce the SDK is final, and everyone can sign up to test on the iPhone on the 9th, and then open up the submission process for putting your app on the app store, which should go live at the end of June. That would give everyone a bunch more apps to download, with hopefully a much higher quality level.

Let me start by saying that I hope I am wrong. I want a 3G iPhone and I want one now. That being said, it's not coming on 6/9.

First, this guy in the quote above has an incredibly strong point and it seems to have been mostly overlooked. There's no way the 2.0 firmware and appstore will be available as of the keynote on Tuesday. The SDK has to be final and developers need to test and submit their apps. Would Steve really tell everyone, "The 2.0 firmware is available now and the AppStore is open now! Go upgrade right now! Oh, by the way, there is nothing available at the AppStore yet. Give it a few weeks because we still need to give the developers the final SDK, there needs to be some testing, yada, yada, yada, apps should be available by the end of the month."

Second, AT&T has a freeze on vacation starting 6/15. Why would they allow everyone to go on vacation the week of the iPhone launch, then tell them they can't go on vacation starting the week after the launch?

Third, AT&T is hiring temps that start on 6/16. Why would they allow their employees to go on vacation the week of the iPhone launch, then require everyone to work, along with a group of temps, the second week of the release?

Third, if the new iPhone was to be released on Monday, they would have to arrive in the stores on Saturday or Monday morning at the very, very latest. That leaves no time to unbox the phones, receive them into the store's inventory, and have them ready for sale, let alone prep the staff (who's on vacation) of the features of the phone so they can answer customer questions.

Fourth, delivering boxes of new iPhones to the AT&T stores and Apple stores on Saturday or even early Monday morning would result in leaked photos, feature lists, etc. With all the hype for the new phone, it is incredibly unlikely that Apple is willing to ship the phones to the stores and just trust that all of those employees will follow the "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL STEVE SAYS SO DURING THE KEYNOTE on 6/9" stickers on the box.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. There's an AT&T store across the street from me at work. I'll be following the live blog of the keynote and if he announces they are immediately available I'll run over there, buy the phone, then go straight back to work and post here that I was wrong.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Yes i've been wondering that. They've said they want to reach as many people as possible with the store, but previously they've also talked about the need for the 'notional' fee because of their accounts. Of course they could do like they did with the 802.11n upgrades and charge a tiny amount (less than $2 say). Or they could allow downloading of apps from iTunes, but charge the fee if you want the on-device store.

yeah but i fell the small fee will most likely be the pushmaill and all that good stuff

carlitol

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
How?

How will it be possible for Apple to release the new iphone on the same day as the keynote address? The logistics must be mind boggling. :rolleyes:

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Yes i've been wondering that. They've said they want to reach as many people as possible with the store, but previously they've also talked about the need for the 'notional' fee because of their accounts. Of course they could do like they did with the 802.11n upgrades and charge a tiny amount (less than $2 say). Or they could allow downloading of apps from iTunes, but charge the fee if you want the on-device store.

Let me start by saying that I hope I am wrong. I want a 3G iPhone and I want one now. That being said, it's not coming on 6/9.

First, this guy in the quote above has an incredibly strong point and it seems to have been mostly overlooked. There's no way the 2.0 firmware and appstore will be available as of the keynote on Tuesday. The SDK has to be final and developers need to test and submit their apps. Would Steve really tell everyone, "The 2.0 firmware is available now and the AppStore is open now! Go upgrade right now! Oh, by the way, there is nothing available at the AppStore yet. Give it a few weeks because we still need to give the developers the final SDK, there needs to be some testing, yada, yada, yada, apps should be available by the end of the month."

Second, AT&T has a freeze on vacation starting 6/15. Why would they allow everyone to go on vacation the week of the iPhone launch, then tell them they can't go on vacation starting the week after the launch?

Third, AT&T is hiring temps that start on 6/16. Why would they allow their employees to go on vacation the week of the iPhone launch, then require everyone to work, along with a group of temps, the second week of the release?

Third, if the new iPhone was to be released on Monday, they would have to arrive in the stores on Saturday or Monday morning at the very, very latest. That leaves no time to unbox the phones, receive them into the store's inventory, and have them ready for sale, let alone prep the staff (who's on vacation) of the features of the phone so they can answer customer questions.

Fourth, delivering boxes of new iPhones to the AT&T stores and Apple stores on Saturday or even early Monday morning would result in leaked photos, feature lists, etc. With all the hype for the new phone, it is incredibly unlikely that Apple is willing to ship the phones to the stores and just trust that all of those employees will follow the "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL STEVE SAYS SO DURING THE KEYNOTE on 6/9" stickers on the box.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. There's an AT&T store across the street from me at work. I'll be following the live blog of the keynote and if he announces they are immediately available I'll run over there, buy the phone, then go straight back to work and post here that I was wrong.

yes but that doesnt mean the firmware has to come out the exact day there are thousands of ipod touch and iphone users out that can go ahead and update you do not have to have the update go out with the 3g iphone all steve has to say oh yeah and were pre shiping 2.0 on all 3g iphones and future iphones and ipod touches

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Wow, would I be hosed, my apps no where near done! I need every minute between now and June 27th.

Still I highly doubt it. Maybe the 2.0 firmware would be released, but I wouldn't expect that because they haven't announced a "final" SDK. That is what I expect at WWDC. So developers have from June 9th to the 27th to get their app done and ready for the 2.0 firmware

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Arn, are you post/iPhone happy? A source at a software company said they’re preparing for a Monday release? Yes, we developers are preparing for a Monday release just in case the app store does launch on Monday. A number of us want to be on the store as soon as we possibly can, and Monday is the closest date that looks possible.

Sorry to be pissy about it.

I *hope* its not on Monday. I'll be at WWDC and we are developing iPhone apps, but you know, being in the mobile development field for 8 years now I do not feel comfortable releasing apps with an SDK that is *still* changing as of beta 6, that has not had any ability to do testing on a FINAL SDK, nor with any real users in a private or public beta test. Some things can work on that model like games or such. Even if they release the final SDK at WWDC and have 2.0 ready by then, I hope they don't open the store for at least 2-3 weeks so that we can actually test on final OSs.

Usually with my other mobile work I've had about 3 months to test with a final SDK, though I'm not asking for that. I'm just saying that releasing software on day 1 for an OS whose SDK has changed on each beta rev seems foolhardy if that day 1 is next week.

tjpoch

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
So if 2.0 comes out Monday how long will it take for it to be unlocked & released? Any word yet if somethings won't work unlocked? Like the App Store?

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
I *hope* its not on Monday. I'll be at WWDC and we are developing iPhone apps, but you know, being in the mobile development field for 8 years now I do not feel comfortable releasing apps with an SDK that is *still* changing as of beta 6, that has not had any ability to do testing on a FINAL SDK, nor with any real users in a private or public beta test. Some things can work on that model like games or such. Even if they release the final SDK at WWDC and have 2.0 ready by then, I hope they don't open the store for at least 2-3 weeks so that we can actually test on final OSs.

Usually with my other mobile work I've had about 3 months to test with a final SDK, though I'm not asking for that. I'm just saying that releasing software on day 1 for an OS whose SDK has changed on each beta rev seems foolhardy if that day 1 is next week.

I’m right there with you. I don’t want the app store to be open on Monday either. Some of us (*cough*me*cough) haven’t even been accepted into the $99 developer program! Here’s hoping for at least a final SDK on Monday.

Awaken

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
What does everyone think about the June 9th date? Will the new 3G iPhones be available in the Apple store on June 9th? They haven't had any stock of the old since May 9th...what's the point of not making sales on ANY iPhones until end of June?

Also, I may be watching the keynote streaming from inside a store. Has anyone been in a store during a live product release? How does that work?

The majority of Apple's revenue does not come from IPhones so indeed they may be loosing some it isnt enough to even dent them.

:apple:

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
So if 2.0 comes out Monday how long will it take for it to be unlocked & released? Any word yet if somethings won't work unlocked? Like the App Store?

Well, I would think at least a week after someone can actually download 2.0 to an iphone or ipod touch. So expect July...

That doesn't mean it couldn't be announced Mon and released a few weeks later, no? :confused: ;) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.