Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
Canada
Summary of bugs

iPad 16GB WiFi

-Keyboard click sounds/lock sounds seem to be lowered, even at max volume
-Apps take a long long time to load, Settings, iPod, Video, iWork apps, and all take forever to load now
-Apps get flushed out very quickly, even quicker than 3GS w/ 256 memory w/o A4 Chip
-Settings app takes super long to load compared to 3.2.2
-Waking iPod from sleep (home/sleep) button, the screen takes some time before it turns on
-After I lock it, the sound comes after a slight delay
-iPod app starts slower (even if it's multitasking) than my first gen iPod Touch!

Just a list of bugs, maybe you have some too. It'd suck big time if Apple somehow made every app have a launch delay (ie count x number of seconds before it loads up). That would be worth an email to SJ :)

Let's hope apple keeps it's biweekly update cycles!

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
Anyone else experiencing little to no bugs while using the new beta? Everything has been working perfectly so far, except maybe the Type n Talk app. But I'll be honest, I only use that to "say" inappropriate things in front of the girl and friends ;).

gsmumbo

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Dallas, Tx
When I have it docked on my keyboard dock, if I remove it it is a toss up as to if the sound will work. Sometimes it thinks it's still docked. No sound, I go to the iPod app and it shows as docked. I have to redock it and remove it again to get it to work.

bgribin

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
WSJ app frequently has missing text in articles. App freezes and will not return to Start Screen. After closing and relaunch App stuck on Wall Street Journal then crashes.

I've found this one too. Out of all the 4.2 bugs I've run into, this one's the most annoying. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon but who knows.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I've found this one too. Out of all the 4.2 bugs I've run into, this one's the most annoying. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon but who knows.

Once again, this is not a bug. This is an incompatible App. You're only supposed to be using the 4.2 beta on a test machine as it's blatantly obvious that some Apps might have issues.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Any UK Orange users had any success getting 3G to work? The only negative I've experienced so far - not enough to send me back to 3.x though, crikey.

Edit: aah, I realise now, hardly anyone is having any success with 3G due to the lack of APN options etc. Oh well.

Mario.

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
VLC Crashes on every open and obviously like others stated Mail crashes a lot.

bryonbnm

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
Once again, this is not a bug. This is an incompatible App. You're only supposed to be using the 4.2 beta on a test machine as it's blatantly obvious that some Apps might have issues.

Guess the mail issues are result of an incompatible app as well.

I think it is too soon in the beta cycle to know if the app crashes are due to an incompatible app or iOS. To that end, any issues experienced should be reported to Apple. And if is related to the usage of an app, to the app developer. Let them figure out where the issue truly resides.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Guess the mail issues are result of an incompatible app as well.

I think it is too soon in the beta cycle to know if the app crashes are due to an incompatible app or iOS. To that end, any issues experienced should be reported to Apple. And if is related to the usage of an app, to the app developer. Let them figure out where the issue truly resides.

Exactly. Are all the apps that are having network issues (such as completely different apps like ABC Player and Uno) due to a compatibility issue or a bug in some of the Network API's??? Labeling the issues as a app compatibility issue is premature.

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
Canada
App start lag

Is anyone else feeling that Settings, Calendar, Pulse, Twitter, photos, and iPod taking some time to start compared to 3.2.2?

I was at the Apple Store yesterday, and on 3.2.2, photos and most of the apps above start right away, no delay.

It'd suck real bad if Apple decided to somehow add a launch delay and purposely slowing down app starting and making u buy a later generation iPad :(

blomma

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Is anyone else feeling that Settings, Calendar, Pulse, Twitter, photos, and iPod taking some time to start compared to 3.2.2?

I was at the Apple Store yesterday, and on 3.2.2, photos and most of the apps above start right away, no delay.

It'd suck real bad if Apple decided to somehow add a launch delay and purposely slowing down app starting and making u buy a later generation iPad :(

Examples of slightly less insane theories.

- profiling code is enabled thus slowing down execution.
- havent optimized the code yet since its early beta
- just general beta bugs showing up

Take your pick.

bgribin

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010

I recognize that the app hasn't been updated to work with 4.2 yet but if you've used this particular app, it's blatantly obvious that it's functionality is extremely basic. Every other app I've tried using on my device works just as well as before - but for whatever reason, this one goes haywire. And it's a very basic app, not as complicated as some of the other stuff I've used.

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
Canada
Examples of slightly less insane theories.

- profiling code is enabled thus slowing down execution.
- havent optimized the code yet since its early beta
- just general beta bugs showing up

Take your pick.

Ya, but every app seems to be slowed down, and by alot! Aren't you experiencing this too?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

I'll tell you whats a bug: my wireless adapter not working on 4.2. "The WiFi adapted was not found on this iPad." I hope they fix wifi issues in beta 2... I'm back to 3.2.1 now and device is working so much better [esp since I need wifi or else iPad is pretty much useless; well no, I can still use GoodReader and all but wifi has a huge weight to it.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
I don't have time to read through all the comments but here are some issues I'm having.

-constantly thinks its still connected to my dock, so I will be stuck with no sound until a reboot. Does this whether it is asleep or awake.

-the YouTube app sucks, isn't even usable on my iPad. Way to buggy and glitchy, and it isn't my Internet because I have 16 mbs highspeed and through my timecapsule I'm still pushing 10-12mbs down on my iphone4 and ipad. It freezes up upon rotation and the IPod app sucks to it freezes and chokes up constantly.

-if I let my ipad go to sleep, the screen will frequently go black but continue to be on and not really off. If I click home or power the slide to unlock pops up just fine.

-Mobile me has been so-so. Sometimes my commands will get through and sometimes they won't. Very sporadic.

blomma

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Ya, but every app seems to be slowed down, and by alot! Aren't you experiencing this too?

Not really, 4.1 beta has been suprisingly stable so far, i see the odd bug in applications now and then but no, not seeing any noticable slowdowns. But then again i would need to load up 3.2 to make a fair judgement.

Did you see this slowdown right away or has it gone gradually slower?

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
Canada
Not really, 4.1 beta has been suprisingly stable so far, i see the odd bug in applications now and then but no, not seeing any noticable slowdowns. But then again i would need to load up 3.2 to make a fair judgement.

Did you see this slowdown right away or has it gone gradually slower?

The slow down happened right when i finished updating to 4.2. The settings app too way too long to load. The photos, iPod and Calendar on 3.2 loaded immediately instantly, 4.2 needed some time..

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I rented some movies from iTunes in 4.2 beta 1. Neither of which would play back. The chapter thumbnails were black and 'Videos' would just freeze when pressing the play button. They refunded my rentals with no quibbles.

-if I let my ipad go to sleep, the screen will frequently go black but continue to be on and not really off. If I click home or power the slide to unlock pops up just fine.

I've also had this problem, it drained the battery quite significantly at one point. I've also had the odd behaviour with wi-fi that others are reporting.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
I've also had this problem, it drained the battery quite significantly at one point. I've also had the odd behaviour with wi-fi that others are reporting.

Strangely, I havent had 1 issue with my wifi, always connected and fast. Hasn't dropped the signal since back in the 3.2 days. Although my 3G settings don't work on mine, but I have my-wi and unlimited data for that! ;)

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
Any UK Orange users had any success getting 3G to work? The only negative I've experienced so far - not enough to send me back to 3.x though, crikey.

Edit: aah, I realise now, hardly anyone is having any success with 3G due to the lack of APN options etc. Oh well.

I went to unlockit.co.nz and my orange 3G work fine now :D website basically gives u apn options

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I went to unlockit.co.nz and my orange 3G work fine now :D website basically gives u apn options

Excellent, that worked a treat! Only problem I have now is that, via 3G, I cant access any private stuff eg. any forum stuf where I'm logged in. I get a garbled message, pure text, that says something about Orangewap, the URL being blahblahorangeavblock.blah. Suggestions?

fatbarstewar

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2009
I had that on 3.2... it was orange saying that because I was under 18 and forums.macrumors is blocked as its a social network or something like that and im 21 :mad:

Lol, 33 in my case :). Still, some 3G is better than none in the short term, thanks for the fix.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Just having problems with the wifi. Cant connect when waking the iPad from sleep so I have to reboot the iPad often

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.