iPad mini 40% more expensive and 30% less pixels per inch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Nov 1, 2012.

1. macguy360, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

macguy360
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

The iPad mini is 60% more expensive and has 30% less pixels per inch than the nexus 7. Someone at Apple seriously lost touch with what made Apple so loved... innovation. The iPad mini is obviously a step backward if it isn't even putting up a higher resolution than $200 7" tablets.

I will be waiting for the next iPad mini to come out. Maybe well get lucky and it will come out 6 months later like the retina iPad refresh.

*edit* bad math. meant to say 60% more expensive.

2. dfinecy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Do we really need another thread regarding this? I figured one of the other hundred would do

3. fsumom
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Thank you!

4. IXDoubleDXI
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Haters gonna hate.

(I really had nothing to contribute and just wanted to throw this out there)

5. OSMac
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Cook is about profit, not innovation. Innovation left the building...

6. zhenya
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

zhenya

macguy360 needs some innovation in his thread choices. :D

7. Noisemaker
    Expand Collapse

When you can't have something, you might as well bash the hell out of it to ruin it for others. :rolleyes:

8. WilliamLondon
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

40% more expensive, until Amazon, Google and B&N recoup the costs of their devices and start to earn their real profit when the sheep start buying content from each of these guys' stores.

These other devices aren't cheaper in the long run, Google, B&N and Amazon are just more clever at getting people to think they are, but in fact, they get their profit, they just extract it in insidious ways, without the end user ever realising what's going on.

It's like people watching free television and thinking it's actually free. You think these corporations are philanthropic, and give money to television content producers just because they want to give Art to society? Ha! They get their money, when they have convinced you that a product you know nothing about is suddenly something you can't live without. They aren't stupid, they are simply very good at what they do.

9. jedolley
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

All those pixels are going to make the blown up smartphone apps look awesome! :rolleyes:

10. macguy360
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol. This thread isn't about being able to have one. I could easily go buy one and I am sure there will be plenty available at the stores. I really love all my Apple products that I have but I am really disappointed with Apple pushing out the mini like it's the best thing ever.

11. Poochi
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Just the look and case alone is worth the premium :)

You know what got me over to the Mac platform and ditch PC?

Macbook UNIBODY ALUMINUM!
    - sexy
    - quiet
    - sexy
    - sexy
    - sexy...

vs...
    PC Laptop
    - sheeittty screen
    - loud
    - plastic that "melts" and "dents" after a year of use
    - ugly
    - ugly
    - bulky
    - ugly

you get my point...

12. hyteckit
    Expand Collapse

If you want more pixels per inch, get the iPod Touch 5th Gen.

Nexus 7 has 50% less pixels per inch than the iPod Touch.

13. Poochi
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Poochi

It's only the price of 1 night out...

We are not talking about 60% on something that's $10000... we are talking about $100 or so?

Besides... I'd pay that $100 for a tablet that looks nice and feels good to hold over plastic any day.

14. macguy360
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually your point is moot pooch. Just look at reviews online and you will realize the quality of competing products is actually on par with the iPad mini.The only bonus your getting is the IOS and app store which Apple has proven they don't care about garbage companies pumping out freemium games like its going out of style.

Here's a little comparison for you.
    Nexus 7- $199
    Corning Gorilla Glass
    Tegra 3 processor (better than A5 proven in benchmarks)
    1280x800 (216ppi) IPS display (thats right, IPS in a 7" tablet) Apple isn't even putting in IPS in the mini.
    16gb

Ipad mini- $329
    Aluminum back
    Undetermined glass front
    1024x768 resolution (163 ppi)
    a5 processor (same as in ipad 2 which is 2 generations old)
    16gb

At the price point of entry level tablets, a 60% higher cost is ludicrous for a device with lower specs. This is just Apple being greedy. All you fanboys who will buy anything from them even if its a rip off are the reason that they are deciding to sell for this price lol.

----------

Were comparing Apples to Apples. 7" tablet to 7" tablet. Not 7" tablet to 3.5" ipod.

15. Noisemaker
    Expand Collapse

Sure thing, buddy.

16. ConnorTurnbull
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Better or worse than the competition, it's still not a bad screen. It's a worthwhile compromise for an instantly available selection of tablet apps.

17. qawsed27
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Sorry you can't afford it. I'm sure the $ you'll save with some other brand will help you eat this month. It occurs to me though, if $100 or so is that big to you, maybe you shouldn't buy a tablet at all. Winter is coming, maybe buy a warm coat or save up for that electric bill.

18. mtj111
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

The iPad mini display is IPS.

Regardless of PPI, I used the Nexus 7 for a week and once you've turned off the distracting dynamic contrast in the settings menu you realize that the contrast ratio is pretty mediocre. A definite washed-out look to it. The colors also didn't look as vibrant as the iPad 2.

It's a fair point about the PPI, but there's a lot more to a panel than pixels.

19. hyteckit
    Expand Collapse

Actually macguy. You don't know your stuff.

iPod touch 5th gen is 4" screen.

iPad Mini has 7.9" screen.

iPad Mini does have an IPS screen.

20. nharrietha
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Thing is, would Apple really be able to hit demand with 7.9" retina displays right now? Without a doubt demand would be much, much higher. We all have heard and possibly experienced the iPhone 5 delays, so I think Apple's playing it safe by jumping into this 7" tablet market without making a huge innovative splash. Disappointing? Kind of. But quit whining so much and buy the freaking Nexus if you think it's better, no need to post it on the forum when we all know you'll buy a Mini anyways. ;)

21. Joeymac1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

PERFECTLY PUT!!!!

And I'm not a "fandroid" or whatever you dorks call them. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad so im no hater, but seriously the unconditional love you guys have for apple is downright sickening. And it is EXACTLY what allows them to sell whatever they make for whatever they want and sell them like hot cakes. (It is also what makes another portion of the people hate apple)

And then you complain that apple is losing touch with what people want!?!? What other conclusion could they POSSIBLY come to other than.... YOU WANT WHATEVER THEY PUT OUT.

22. (Marty)
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

You do realize it was Apple that got Corning to bring gorilla glass back into production and has been on all of them since iPhone 1?

GPU benchmarks actually show the iPad 2 beating the Nexus 7
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6073/the-google-nexus-7-review/5

As others have said IPS is on the mini

Now we can add in things like premium casing, battery life, support, a tablet app market place that is enormous, integration with the ecosystem, etc.

I know I personally would and did pay the premium because although I've wanted to and tried to switch to android, the integration of the ecosystem and the apps bring me back every time.

I don't know why you guys feel the need to keep making threads like this on a site called Mac Rumors. Do you really have that much hatred for a device you haven't gotten to use yet that you have to fight so vehemently to protect it on a site that is nothing but Apple fans.

23. bigboar
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

If you dont like it dont buy it!! pretty simple!! as for me, I will be enjoying mine tomorrow evening!! I personally could care less what you or anyone else thinks..I actually find it quite amusing reading posts like this.

Attached Files:

24. hyteckit
    Expand Collapse

Let me know when the Nexus 7 tablet can run iOS tablet applications.

25. (Marty)
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Or maybe for those of us upgrading from iPad 1 and wanted a smaller device are not only getting a better and faster device, but we also get to keep our apps and ecosystem.

I love the fact that when someone sends me a text I can answer from whatever device I'm using. It still amazes me that with iCloud my documents are everywhere, and are synced, same with my personal info, my game saves thanks to Game Center, and the largest app library that gets better everyday.