Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I personally hate curved screens... if nothing else than because screen protectors no longer fit properly so you get halos around the edges of the protector where the screen starts to curve down & dust / debris can build up :mad:

Sure hope the screen of the iPhone 8 is completely flat this time (unlike the 6/6s/7) *fingers-crossed*

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
No thanks. Have you seen the curved screen of the Galaxy phones? It's terrible. Wasted screen real estate and it looks distorted. It's a gimmick, just like curved TV's. Serves no useful purpose no matter how you slice it.
The 7 Edge Galaxy was too curved, but the Note7 was perfect. Just enough to feel good in the hand, but not too much to be plagued with accidental touches. Part of why I hated the Edge versions.
As for curved TVs... I like them. I have a 65" version. The curve is subtle, but gives great viewing angles from anywhere in the room. You have to live with one for a few days... then it makes sense. Seeing one in a showroom doesn't do it justice.
Even my wife was skeptical, but now she likes it better than the flat panel.

papacuppa

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
I really saw curved edges as a bit of a fad. I.e. Over-design that doesn't produce commensurate utility. Plus, didn't Samsung coin that aesthetic? If Apple had the curves on the Edition wouldn't it only serve to dilute the originality of everything else that's rumoured to be in it?

I get the appeal of a fold-in-half screen with holistic UI design [in principle, as an example] but I like to think Apple thinks more of their users than giving them something so superficial and unexciting. Maybe just me, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morgenland and jpn

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
Honestly, IMO, the curved display is all just gimmick. Nothing really significant brought to the table that changed or improved day-to-day smartphone usage.

I've owned a S7 for 6 months. It didn't take months before I realized I didn't need the curved display features, and in the end, didn't need that phone at all.

Personally, I'd love it if this rumor turns out to be true.

Reactions: Col4bin and HEK

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I don't understand anything about this messy lineup. and I don't understand why there should be a premium iPhone which do not suit my needs. I thought all the iPhones were supposed to be premium. In this case it's not
As Bob Dylan would say, The times they are a changin'"

Reactions: Demo Kit

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Well, the aspect ratio stuff was completely expected. Essentially, IMO, it was confirmed a week ago. There's no way to fit a 5.8" screen inside the iPhone 7 body...unless you dump 16:9.

That's why it probably will be 18:9 like the LG G6. Having 16:9 usable for apps and 2:9 for that rumored gesture area. Apps will work out of the box this way as they are all 16:9.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I hope they do stick with flat, curved has no advantage whatsoever. Why would I want to look at curved pictures or videos?
Why would you have to do that?

No it doesn't. The last thing iOS needs is more garbage disguised as "features". You don't speak for ALL of us lol....
Garbage? Kiko, turn the volume down on that commentary. Everything doesn't sound good at 11.

I am going to laugh my butt off when the new iPhone debuts with... the same curved glass display it's had since the iPhone 6.:p:D

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Excellent news! I've always felt the curved screens on Samsungs was functionally detrimental. I owned the Note 7 and I'm not saying the curved screens were terrible or anything, but they took away from the screen size and functionality. I do hope Apple slims down the side bezels though, hopefully using the curvature to hide them.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
iPhone 8 expected to have 5.5" 1080x1920 display, wired charging, flat display, Lightning port, physical button ... despite rumors of 5.8" 4K display, wireless charging, curved display, USB-C port and virtual home button.

... also, expected to be called iPhone 7.5

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Watching movies in a 2:1 full-screen format would be outstanding, if the "unusable" part can actually be used for certain applications.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
No thanks. Have you seen the curved screen of the Galaxy phones? It's terrible. Wasted screen real estate and it looks distorted. It's a gimmick, just like curved TV's. Serves no useful purpose no matter how you slice it.

I'll take flat please.

I'll take flat please.
Curved TVs are pretty nice actually and a curved monitor even bettter. Might not suit you but don’t be so quick to dismiss it.

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
A curved display is mostly something that helps marketing the phone as special. No actual usefulness and I find the curved part more annoying to view content than a thin bezel would be on a flat screen.
I don't see Apple wasting that much money per model for something that stupid.

Reactions: joshuaadunn and HEK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.