5.8-Inch iPhone Said to Have Curved Display, But Not as Curved as Galaxy S7 Edge

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's widely rumored 5.8-inch iPhone will feature a curved OLED display, although the curvature will be gentler than Samsung's Galaxy S7 Edge, according to Japanese website Nikkei Asian Review.

[​IMG]
    "iPhone X" concept by designer Gabor Balogh
    The report comes less than a week after research firm IHS Markit said it "anticipates Apple will adopt a flat implementation of OLED design on their special iPhone model, which is analogous to the current 2.5D glass design."

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Chinese research firm TrendForce previously said they expect the premium iPhone to have 2.5D cover glass, which refers to the slightly curved front glass that iPhones have had since the iPhone 6 in 2014. A "gently" curved display could perhaps conform to this design.

The report cites a source that said Apple "would not be using OLED optimally" if it opted for a flat display like existing iPhone models, but it cautioned that the design has not been finalized and could still change.

It added that the curved screen will "allow a viewable area of about 5.2 inches," although it said it will not offer significant new functions. Kuo expects the high-end iPhone will feature a 5.8-inch display with 5.15 inches of usable screen space, but he said some of the remaining space will be reserved for virtual buttons.

The Wall Street Journal recently said Apple's next high-end iPhone will have a curved screen, but the report did not divulge any specific details. The Korea Herald also said the device will have a curved OLED display using a flexible plastic substrate, rather than a flat display based on glass.

Article Link: 5.8-Inch iPhone Said to Have Curved Display, But Not as Curved as Galaxy S7 Edge

2. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Monday - Analyst says iPhone 8 to have curved screen.
    Tuesday - A different analyst says iPhone 8 to have flat screen.
    Wednesday - A third analyst says iPhone 8 to have curved screen but not as much as the S7E.

Well, at least you'll be "right" in September MR

3. Paul Dawkins macrumors 6502

Paul Dawkins

It might be curved, but in a reasonable and thought out way. Obviously not by as much as edge series.

4. yeahtyeaht macrumors newbie

5. NeoChecco macrumors newbie

6. 1applerules1 macrumors regular

7. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Why do you think Tim is so excited about AR and VR? ;)

8. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

Ive: other displays are too curved. The iPhone strikes a minimalist curvature in perfect harmony with the user.

9. JM macrumors 6502

JM

10. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

11. Johnluke91 macrumors member

I'd be more happy if apple comes back to glass flat, like on the iPad and old iPhone.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

MmMm... I really like that iPhone X concept. They can even add a bit of the top chin back so it is easier to hold in portrait mode, and I'd still be happy.

13. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Could you use the term "curved edges" or "curved display edges" rather than "curved display" (or "curved screen")?

In the last news story thread about this, there was some confusion...

Some people thought you meant the whole screen would be curved, like the curved TVs/monitors, and like that old curved screen iPhone patent from ages ago.

14. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Lets be honest, he's gonna say this and people on here are gonna be like "yeah this curve is how it should be done. Apple took their time and got it right". Maybe they will, but odds are it's going to be marketing

15. JM macrumors 6502

JM

Who's cares. It'll be $1299. (but really I'd want it, but can't even spend $650...)

16. rugmankc macrumors 65816

rugmankc

Not going back to a smaller screen-------------

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

18. dan9700 macrumors 6502a

Just bloody wait till September im sick of hearing about the next iphone geeeez
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    Every day another rumour its getting annoying its 6 months away

19. samparmenter macrumors regular

God I hate curved screens on phones. Looks utterly **** on the samsung phones and doesn't add anything to them functionality wise. No idea why anyone would want it.

20. aapl owner macrumors newbie

aapl owner

Enough of these stupid stupid worthless iphone 8 rumors that cover all bases and tell us nothing new.

What is the status of getting iMac updates? All I hear are Crickets!!!!!!

21. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Scale this down to fit within the iPhone SE's chassis, put a rubberized back on it to make it grippable, ensure the sides are holdable without slipping (curved aluminum) or biting (chamfered), and I'd buy one for my wife and myself today.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

23. Appleaker macrumors 65816

Of course it won't be as drastic as the S7 edge. The S7 Edge curves hinder the experience of physically using the phone. It's only going to be aesthetic and they'd want to keep the 2.5D cover glass curves, but without bezels so I guess it's necessary in a way.

24. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

Why are you on a rumors site, then?

25. Jongstar macrumors newbie

It's the stock iOS wallpaper.