54% of H.264 Web Video Now Available in HTML5

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Media search site MeFeedia today released the results of a new survey showing that 54% of H.264-encoded video on the Internet is currently available in HTML5 format, double the share of just five months ago. The rapid increase has been driven by the explosion in the mobile industry, led in part by Apple's iPhone and its lack of support for Adobe's Flash platform.
- 54% of web video is now available for playback in HTML5. Double in 5 months.
- Flash remains the dominant player within desktop environments.
- Mobile is driving HTML5 video adoption. HTML5 compatible (H.264 mostly) video is the most common format for mobiles (inc. iPhone, iPad and Android).
- Publishers & platforms now offer iframe embeds, allowing them to switch players dynamically, depending on the access device.
MeFeedia's survey was based on its index of video content from over 33,000 publishers including media sites such as Hulu, CBS, and ABC, as well as hosting sites such as YouTube and Vimeo.

Article Link: 54% of H.264 Web Video Now Available in HTML5

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
And what percent of the video on the web is in H.264 then? Let's look at the bigger picture..

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
I'm more curious to know if developers are using the OGG video format for HTML5 or just falling back to the flash version if FireFox is detected...

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I thought it was led by users who wondered what an HTML5 beta was on Youtube more so than the iPhone :confused:

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Flash will be dominate until ads stops using flash.
But video is the only 'must have' feature for most users. Not viewing ads is a feature not a drawback.
(Oh yeah... moronic, childish Facebook games. SOB.)
'Tipping', meet 'Point'.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
It's funny that Youtube still doesn't offer proper fullscreen video when using HTML5 citing it's not supported yet, just because their Chrome browser doesn't, while it's been working for months in Safari.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I tried the html5 beta at youtube on my mac, but I had to revert it back to flash because it was a hog and lag mix :(

I hope safari + firefox improve their html5, or maybe I'm one of the unlucky to have had problems with it?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I'm more curious to know if developers are using the OGG video format for HTML5 or just falling back to the flash version if FireFox is detected...

no one uses Ogg over h.264 due to the storage and bandwidth requirements

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Thank you, Apple (and Google.)

microcolt

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
I don't think it's fair to count YouTube in the mix, after all they don't "fully" support HTML5 players on all their videos yet.

adomanico18

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009
SF Bay Area/Hamilton, ON
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Nice to see old technology phasing out

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Apple has reached the point where they cannot be ignored. If they push a particular technology, people listen. Some might disagree and go in another direction, but they know about and talk about what Apple says and does.

Apple is the dominant mindshare company at the moment in the consumer electronic market.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
That's not what the post is about.
Why does it matter if 54% of H.264 content already available is now available in HTML5 video format? It's probably like 5% of the overall video on the web.

It's great that things are moving to HTML5 video, don't get me wrong there.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Good I'm getting ready to launch a new service that is completely based around H.264 and HTML5 video. I just hope people adopt IE9 so more people can use it with out flash on the desktop side of things.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
You guys keep talking about Ogg, but I don't think there's any doubt even amongst the "open purists" that Ogg Theora isn't going to take off for HTML5 (or anything). All the focus is on WebM these days. The real question is how is WebM adoption starting to take off. I think Youtube is the only one that's doing it really, but they're a huge player. And Google is building hardware acceleration for it in their Android phones.

Personally, as much as I like the open/free/libre mindset, I think H.264 will win. Google's just late to the game with WebM. They should have bought On2 a few years earlier. H.264 is pretty entrenched and fully supported by professionals down to amatuers, both in hardware and software. If for no other reason, I'd be very, very surprised if at some point MPEG-LA didn't raise its litigous head and strike WebM down.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
I've gone totally non-Flash on my main computer - got rid of the Flash/Shockwave related plugins in /Library/Internet Plugins (Flash Player.plugin, flashplayer.xpt, NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave) and installed the Safari extension YouTube5. This converts YouTube to HTML5 and works better than the YouTube HTML5 beta. (Edit: I just checked CPU usage on a HD video, full screen, and it's 10-15% on a i7 MBP)

Since I no longer hide Flash with ClickToFlash, my Mac is no longer pretending to support Flash and sites like MacRumors that sometimes have Flash ads now display static ads. And because I'm using Safari I'm not being bugged about installing the Flash plugin when other sites try to display Flash.

And I don't miss it.

I can't do it to our other two computers since the kids sometimes use them for online games.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Will someone please show the NFL these statistics and ask them to bring their site into the 21st century as well? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.