5w charger, SERIOUSLY??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UKapple73, Sep 18, 2017.

1. UKapple73 macrumors regular

Looking at the iPhone X specs page, it’s says you only get a crappy 5w charger in the box for your £1000 or £1150. Really Apple?? You promote fast charging and then have the absolute cheek to include a 5w charger like all other iPhones, even the 12w charger would have been something and probably cost about £2 extra.
    That’s poor Apple. Very poor indeed. Leaves a sour taste for me

2. konicky macrumors regular

Apple is all about profits not value for money these days. They could easily have priced the X 256 at £999, included a fast charger had happy customers and still made huge profits. But that wouldn't be Apple under Tim Cook.
    Sour taste all round !!

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Consider to really use fast charging you need to invest in a USB-C to lighting cable and Apple USB-C Power Adapter (29W Model A1540, 61W Model A1718, 87W Model A1719)

$25 and $49 for the cheapest...

4. UKapple73 thread starter macrumors regular

All the major competitors that have fast charge include the charger. No excuses

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

My Galaxy S8+ certainly did.

Thinking back I believe my S6 and Note 5 did as well.

6. Krayzkat Suspended

I've been using my iPad's 12W charger to charge my 6S Plus much quicker for 2 years and have had absolutely no problems with anything. Supplying new iPhones with a 5W charger is just pathetically abysmal.

Must take courage to do that

edit: Now that i think about it, the 12W charger with iPhone/cable/etc probably can't all fit in the same size box. Apple would rather you had a smaller packaging box that you'll only touch once, than a faster charging phone

7. Sir Ruben macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

Apple have always taken the pi$$, however as time moves on they have taken it to the absolute extreme. I can't wait to laugh at the ridiculous price of the AirPower mat when it is available.

The shame is that becomes a negative for Apple in other ways. Last year I bought an iPhone 7 and an Apple Watch Series 2. This year I'm reluctant to even upgrade just the phone. I can afford the prices but I have now reached the limit of what I personally find acceptable. This will be the case for many others I assume.

8. MjWoNeR macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

I've been using the iPad charger for a couple of years as well, but yeah, the 5W charger included is a fail in my book too. So much for fast charging.

9. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

How about when Apple only sold wireless mouse and keyboard seperate on the iMac?

Steve was around then.

How about when Apple only offered the white iPhone in the highest capacity?

Steve was around then.

How about when Apple got rid of the Disc Drive on the Macbook Air and sold it as a seperate accessory?

Steve was around then.

How about when they withheld te Super Drive to only the most expensive iMac model?

Steve was around then.

How about when Garageband was released, but about 50% of it was hidden behind a pay wall?

Steve was around then.

How about when Apple promised the white iPhone 4 was just around the corner, and then eventually arriving 8 months late?

Steve was around then.

Point is, Steve was great, but Apple was still a non-perfect buisness under his watch.

10. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

All valid arguments in this thread - and I agree with them, it is absolutely unacceptable to not include a fast charger with a phone that costs north of $1000; most certainly takes courage. Now what I'd really like to see is someone come in and nonsensically defend Apple. You know it's going to happen.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2017 ---

Some really good points. I remember them charging for the first few iPhone OS updates for the iPod touch - which sounds plain ridiculous in 2017.

11. konicky macrumors regular

That was a design led change, not for profits. I have no personal knowledge of the other points you mention but I wasn't comparing Tim to Steve anyway !!

12. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Apple should have the ability to be able to manufacture a 12v/29v USB-C fast charger small enough to fit in an iPhone box. Absolutely no excuse.

13. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

No reason why apple can't include a fast charger like every other manufacture does. Just yet another way to increase profits. I understand it's a business. But at which point do we say enough.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As time goes by and see what Apple does (or doesn't do), the more that idea is cemented into my brain.

Apple has changed from making insanely great products which turn a profit, focusing how to maintain or increase profits and making design decisions based on profitability.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

It's £89 in total over here for the charger and the cable. If I do get the X the only plus point is that I can use the same cable to fast charge my iPad Pro 10.5

However it is another of Apple's money grabs but did we expect anything else.

16. MjWoNeR macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

Not only that, the whole thing is more complicated than it should be. While other manufacturers just include the charger needed for fast charging, Apple says you will need to buy this or this charger and a USB-C to lightning adapter.
    It's a bit of a joke and a bit un-Apple since 95% of the owners won't use the fast charging feature because it's too complicated and too expensive.

17. drzen macrumors regular

drzen

Apple chose to not even highlight the fast charging functionality. It's only us enthusiasts who have gone through all the fine print already and discovered it. I think to the average consumer, it makes no difference; they will probably not know about it, and carry on using that underpowered 5W adapter included.

But really, Apple is testing the limits of their core fan patience with this approach.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its the little foxes that spoil the vine as they say. I defended apple in the iPad forum for not including a fast charger for the Ipad pro, but as I see this and other moves, I was wrong.

19. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

My Note 4 had it included. First Note to have it I think.

20. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

They shouldn’t include any charger with the phone IMO. Everyone and their grandma has a charger at home somehwere, I have a drawer full of iPhone bricks ranging from 5w to 12w. How many chargers does one need?

I mean talk about wasting earths resources.

21. UKapple73 thread starter macrumors regular

What??? That’s ridiculous. They expect us to pay over £1000 for this thing lol

22. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It's just getting embarrassing now when it comes to stuff like this..going to cost another £80 just to get fast charging. Certainly when it comes as standard on other devices

23. MjWoNeR macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

I thought they did highlight it? At least it was a bullet point in their presentation. I think I remember they talked about it too.

But you are right, the average consumer will have no idea about it.

24. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

Both 5W & 12W chargers actually cost the same, 19£ in your case (the U.K.). So the only obvious reason not to include a 12W one would not be the price, but probably the iPhone box size & weight, as the 12W charger is bigger.

25. UKapple73 thread starter macrumors regular

This is a good point. I’ve had iPhones since 2009, and when I saw the price and non-innovative features of the X, coupled with no 128gb option therefore making the 1150 price the only real option for me, and now the charger thing I’m just thinking they are REALLY taking their loyal customers for granted now. For this first time ever I’m tempted to go for a Note or something