Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poindexter333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
NYC metropolitan area
@MrXiro- "Most people buy Apple products just to be trendy." Are you frakking kidding me?

Hundreds of millions of products sold, almost as many customers worldwide, and most of them pay a premium just to be trendy, not for the exact same reasons you mention- integration, ease of use and lack of futzing? How about form, design, and quality...not to mention the fantastic OS (well, Lion....nevermind)?

Are you special or something? Clairvoyant??? How could you possibly be in any position to know?

I call bull manure.:roll eyes:

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Let's face it... most people buy Apple products to be trendy... I know iPhone users who don't put music or videos on it... what's the point? They just have it because it's trendy. But when you're being trendy it's not about having the best deal. Which is what this OP seems to be discussing... yes the Lenova is easier on the wallet, but it doesn't run OSX, which should be the KEY reason to own a Mac... not cause it's great looking or "a good deal"

OSX was the very last reason I purchased my MBA. I bought it because I loved the computer itself, not the software that was preloaded on it. If there was an option to have Windows 7 preloaded on my Mac i probably would of done it off the start. Not because I hate OSX but because I have extensive experience using Windows. But OSX is slowly growing on me.

I don't have any music or videos on my iPhone. I find it unnecessary to drain my phones battery by listening to music, thats what I have an iPod for. I love my iPhone because it just works. Something a lot of other phone manufactures have failed to do. I have my 16gig jailbroken iPhone pretty much full of just apps and a couple hundred photos and it still fast and responsive. A feat I have seen no other smartphone be able to accomplish.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
If everybody thought the way you do there would be absolutely no competition and we'd all be paying outrageous prices for computers. :rolleyes:

Which has what to do with what? You mean to tell me that if everyone hated a certain brand of product and preferred a competing brand of product, it would lessen competition in the marketplace? What a brilliant deduction!!!...which has absolutely nothing do with me, specifically, preferring OSX to windows.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
@MrXiro- "Most people buy Apple products just to be trendy." Are you frakking kidding me?

Hundreds of millions of products sold, almost as many customers worldwide, and most of them pay a premium just to be trendy, not for the exact same reasons you mention- integration, ease of use and lack of futzing? How about form, design, and quality...not to mention the fantastic OS (well, Lion....nevermind)?

Are you special or something? Clairvoyant??? How could you possibly be in any position to know?

I call bull manure.:roll eyes:

If everyone was buying for their "actual uses" most would stick to windows and dumb phones... most people don't take advantage of the multiple features that Apple offers... you're basing this off of YOUR use... those of uses of us "hardcore geeks".

You can't honestly tell me that a majority of the world has wirelessly networked multiple devices in their home to stream everywhere. We here are a niche in society... the niche is growing every day as Apple products are more widely seen in pop culture (movies, TV shows or just hearsay from "a friend who owns an iPhone") but let's not be fooled that Apple's growth as a product line isn't because it being trendy but it's technological innovations.

Also your eye rolls and sarcasm isn't appreciated. I'm just giving my opinion on why the OP shouldn't bother with an MBA.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
OSX was the very last reason I purchased my MBA. I bought it because I loved the computer itself, not the software that was preloaded on it. If there was an option to have Windows 7 preloaded on my Mac i probably would of done it off the start. Not because I hate OSX but because I have extensive experience using Windows. But OSX is slowly growing on me.

I don't have any music or videos on my iPhone. I find it unnecessary to drain my phones battery by listening to music, thats what I have an iPod for. I love my iPhone because it just works. Something a lot of other phone manufactures have failed to do. I have my 16gig jailbroken iPhone pretty much full of just apps and a couple hundred photos and it still fast and responsive. A feat I have seen no other smartphone be able to accomplish.

It's already established that you're in the apple ecosystem... you're using iOS apps... be it Cydia or AppStore... You've even stated yourself that OSX is growing on you.

And a point; maybe I haven't been able to clearly convey... is that clearly the OP was a windows guy to begin with. He's comparing a "good deal" windows computer with an "apple taxed" Mac product. If he paid 1300 dollars for a MBA to run windows then YES he's wasted his money. If he came to buy an Mac for the OSX then he's gotten a good deal.

I made the switch about 5 years ago, I put Rock Box on my first two iPods because I hated using iTunes... It took some getting used to it all but now I can't even imagine using a windows computer in every day life. (I still have an Android phone because I hate At&t and am not yet eligible for an upgrade)

As much as the world wants the MBA to be something called something different... it's really just an extremely nice netbook. It's not great for gaming, it can't be used to seriously edit media; etc. I love my MBA but I don't really use it for anything more than surfing the net and checking email... occasionally I'll screen share my iMac and control it from my bedroom because I'm too lazy to leave my bed. :p

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
If everyone was buying for their "uses" most would stick to windows and dumb phones... most people don't take advantage of the multiple features that Apple offers... you're basing this off of YOUR use... those of us "hardcore geeks".

You can't honestly tell me that a majority of the world has wirelessly networked multiple devices in their home to stream everywhere. We here are a niche in society... the niche is growing every day as Apple products are more wildly seen in pop culture (movies, TV shows or just hearsay from "a friend who owns an iPhone") but let's not be fooled that Apple isn't growing as a product line because it is trendy over it's technological innovations.

And what exactly are these features that only Apple offers? As far as I'm concerned you can do anything in Windows that can in OSX and then some. Remotely accessing your network is not a Apple only feature.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
And what exactly are these features that only Apple offers? As far as I'm concerned you can do anything in Windows that can in OSX and then some. Remotely accessing your network is not a Apple only feature.

But the ease of use of checking off 1 box to remote access is.

Just as plugging in an Atv to a TV is easier than setting up a Roku to stream media on your computer... I'm not saying it takes rocket science to set up a Roku but to a person that isn't as versed as your self with setting up computers and devices just plugging in a device (HDMI, POWER) and opening iTunes is a heck of a lot easier. Which is one of the things that I enjoy about running apple products.

----------

But again my point isn't all of this... it's that the OP should stick to the Lenova (and windows) if he feels that his MBA isn't worth it... because besides it's thinness and looks (which will soon have competition) it's really not a better deal for him.

Last edited:

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
I just bought a Mac Air 13", and saw the Lenovo website, Look at this, Lenovo is selling laptops for about $600(website below). You have

4GB ram
500GB Hard drive
intel Core i7, NOT i5 :)
brand new windows 7
6 hrs battery
14" HD screen

I see what Mac is offering, but with that money, I can buy a Lenovo, use for a year, toss it in the trash, and still got money for another one. I am just like WOW.

Here is the website: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=9F4D9F1B85C24267B579D9A60A9BDD25

I'm seriously considering a windows machine for my next computer. I love my current macbook, but when it comes time to replace it, most new laptops are increasing in quality and performance to match the macbook pro and I don't think I feel like paying for the apple tax. You can probably get a top windows machine for the same or better specs for almost $800 less if not more. Mac Os X is better than windows, no question there, but if you're a "capable" windows user, I'd say the price overcharge for mac os x is not necessary.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
But again my point isn't all of this... it's that the OP should stick to the Lenova (and windows) if he feels that his MBA isn't worth it... because besides it's thinness and looks (which will soon have competition) it's really not a better deal for him.

And my point is that the MBA IS a good deal. Once you get the Lenova to to the specs of the MBA the price starts to look pretty similar.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
I really didn't want to argue when I started this thread, but I owe this one to all the haters. While most you who agreed MacBook Air is overpriced, you can't explain why you paid more for it.

Also, some of you rely heavily on Windows, that says something about Windows. Again I point out the demand for dual boot or parallel to run windows on Mac.

For those who answered my post and disagreed, I couldn't find any hardware or software comparison besides the old trolls and rants.

Throw in some facts for everyone.

I will never get another windows laptop not matter how cheap they are. I can't believe the amount of crap I was willing to put up with on a daily basis.

And for JSalig, here are some problems in Mac, just to let you know. I don't want to see you ranting on any windows forum about Mac just like you did here.

1. Fans Running High https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1232953/

2. Macbook Air gets hot after waking up https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1232784/
Nobody has solutions to these problems yet.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
priced with the i7 and a 128GB SSD, the Lenovo E220s is $1000.

note: this particular i7 is actually clocked in between the i5 of the 11 and 13 MBA.

the screen is 12.5" @ 1366x768.

the E220 weighs 3.23lbs. all others in this line are between 4-5lbs.

now we could go down the list: trackpad, backlit keys, ...

as the very first commenter said, these threads are old news. but now they make even less sense, as Apple has been offering a better and better value.

now, yes, these threads are pointless, but i'll admit sometimes i can't resist a good pointless online argument.

OP, you're complaining that people weren't giving you quantitative comparison arguments? you bought the MBA without doing this yourself, clearly. now you want us to do it for you?

and, MBA a netbook? and Macs only bought to look cool? get real.

this has all been thrown back and forth SO MANY TIMES. please, let's be more creative about what to argue about.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
If you don't mind mediocre operating systems, hardware, service and support then by all means buy this piece of junk Lenovo. Then you can spend your entire ownership of it convincing yourself it is just as good as an Air.

I just bought a Mac Air 13", and saw the Lenovo website, Look at this, Lenovo is selling laptops for about $600(website below). You have

4GB ram
500GB Hard drive
intel Core i7, NOT i5 :)
brand new windows 7
6 hrs battery
14" HD screen

I see what Mac is offering, but with that money, I can buy a Lenovo, use for a year, toss it in the trash, and still got money for another one. I am just like WOW.

Here is the website: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=9F4D9F1B85C24267B579D9A60A9BDD25

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
And for JSalig, here are some problems in Mac, just to let you know. I don't want to see you ranting on any windows forum about Mac just like you did here.

1. Fans Running High https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1232953/

2. Macbook Air gets hot after waking up https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1232784/
Nobody has solutions to these problems yet.

No **** Sherlock, aren't all apple products perfect?
Just because someone's macbook air's fans are running high doesn't make the macbook air a bad product. There's a chance for every single technological product to fail. Nobody's perfect.
Wanna check lenovo's site for problems?
This thread's title is "OS wiped out during Bluetooth drivers update".
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/OS-wiped-out-during-Bluetooth-drivers-update/td-p/437525
The whole OS wiped out by a bluetooth update. GOOD JOB LENOVO.
You can check http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/bd-p/T400_series_ThinkPads for many other problems on Lenovo products.

I know this doesn't mean anything, as all computers have problems, but since you just blindly copied the first 2 threads you saw about MBA problems, I'll do the same.

About the MBA's price, as many others stated, the model you linked us goes up to 1000$ when specced like the MBA, and still has:
Worse screen resolution
Worse OS (depends on your liking, though)
Worse build quality
Worse trackpad
Probably worse keyboard

If you don't like the MBA, go give it back. But I'm telling you it's worth it, unless you don't have the money for it.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
For those who answered my post and disagreed, I couldn't find any hardware or software comparison besides the old trolls and rants.

Throw in some facts for everyone.

The E420 isn't comparable to the MacBook Air. The closest one on that website is the E220. Equip the E220 with the 1.5GHz i7 (which is still slower than the base i5 in the 13" MacBook Air and comparable to the 1.6GHz i5 in the 11"), a 128GB SSD, and Bluetooth, and the price jumps to $1020 after the promotion. Not bad, but it is much closer to the $1199 price of the 11" Air that gets you a similar screen and a lighter machine.

... 1lb lighter!

indeed. sorry, I missed this earlier, KPOM.

Last edited by a moderator:

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
If you don't mind mediocre operating systems, hardware, service and support then by all means buy this piece of junk Lenovo. Then you can spend your entire ownership of it convincing yourself it is just as good as an Air.

Just because you like something, you don't have to hate something else.

Here is Thinkpad X1, I thought it's pretty cool, it's a TOUCHSCREEN, WOW!!! ;)

Up to 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7
Up to Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit
Lenovo Enhanced Experience 2.0 for Windows® 7, with optional RapidDrive
Starting at 3.7 pounds
Up to 10 hours with slice battery
13.3" HD SuperBright LCD
Up to 8GB integrated DDR3 SDRAM
Up to 160GB SSD (optional 320GB HDD)

Look here http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/index.html
and here http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/index.html

Windows is not a mediocre OS, it has majority share of the market, for instance, your chase ATM machine, cashier register are all Windows system. I have actually seen the windows start button on screen when some of these computers reboot.

Last edited:

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Just because you like something, you don't have to hate something else.

agreed. i don't get why so many have to instantly bash anything non-Apple.

Here is Thinkpad X1, I thought it's pretty cool, it's a TOUCHSCREEN, WOW!!! ;)

Up to 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7
Up to Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit
Lenovo Enhanced Experience 2.0 for Windows® 7, with optional RapidDrive
Starting at 3.7 pounds
Up to 10 hours with slice battery
13.3" HD SuperBright LCD
Up to 8GB integrated DDR3 SDRAM
Up to 160GB SSD (optional 320GB HDD)

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/index.html

the thinkpad X1 is NOT touchscreen. the X220 tablet is.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Just buy your Lenovo no need to argue. I bought a Macbook Air because windows laptops are toss away items. I love windows 7 but OSX is great as well. Both have there pros and cons but the facts are simple.

Apple Products

PROs
Great Face to Face Support
Superb build quality
Insane Resale Value (no pc can do this)

CONs
Not Cheap (No stripped down models avail)
Limited Hardware Options (No blu ray or USB 3.0)

Windows Laptops

PROs
Cheap Models Avail
Lots of Hardware Options

CONs
Build quality is a fail
Support is so so
Resale Value is useless
No OSX without hacking

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Couple quick things:

1. MacBook Air is not overpriced. There is yet to be a PC laptop that matches specs, form factor, and build quality. PC Manufactuers even admit they cannot match the MacBook Air price (article: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Note...s-Can-t-Outprice-the-MacBook-Air-214953.shtml)

2. For the person who said the iPhone is overpriced for the specs, if there is one machine where specs matter virtually nothing and experience is everything its a Phone. The iPhone has a superb user experience. It does not matter how much mega hurts or giga pixels your phone has, as long as it runs smoothly and does what you want it to do in a way that delights you its all that matters.

Does having an extra 256MB of memory make your conversations more engaging? Does having an extra megapixel or two really make a difference when the photo is down sampled for Facebook? Does having a few extra megahertz on your phone make you win at angry birds more often? No, No, and No.

3. There is a high demand for Parallels and VMware not because Mac users love Windows but because sometimes we are stuck using Windows only apps for work. Until Macs become more adopted in work places and enterprises, these programs will continue to thrive.

4. The Lenovo computer in the debate is not the same class of machine as the air. I don't think its a bad machine, and I am not a PC hater, but a conventional hard drive just can't compete with an SSD, especially in a laptop.

The form factor and other specs also should be considered carefully and as some people pointed out the MBA out-specs it. So yeah, the Lenovo machine is not a bad computer on its own merits, but the MBA is certainly a whole other animal.

Its like saying did I make a mistake buying a Lexus cause this Honda is a good deal. If you are in the market for a luxury car, the Lexus is your choice. If you are in the market for a budget or value car, the Honda is your choice.

XX55XX

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
Lenovo Thinkpads are a different breed of laptop. Sure, they are big, bulky, and less svelte, but the build quality is excellent (like Apple), and they are built like tanks. Of course, the Edges are in a different category, but the core Thinkpad line is very nice and very affordable. If you love Mac OS X too much, you can turn it into a Hackintosh, which is a very trivial process these days.

I'll take the Thinkpad aesthetic any day over the curvy and shiny MacBooks that Apple offers these days.

I even bought a T420 to replace my two-year old MacBook Pro a few months ago. Great machine (even if it is a little heavier).

Poindexter333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
NYC metropolitan area
How about this rephrasing of the OP's question-

what if an incremental $500-$600 is not a deal breaker?

Not exactly "cost-no-object" but almost... The Apple products almost always win hands down for me despite any premium over all the years I have been a customer- 1977. I used IIe's at first, then Macs exclusively for my business (Wall St/trading, then contracting) since the first Mac. I have yet to find any absolutely mission-critical software- or task- that I couldn't find or do on the MacOs- but that's me. YMMV. Time has always been money for me, and the down-time (including headaches, networking, integration and TS) on anything but NT or -from what I hear- W7- has always been abominable- not that Macs are flawless either.

I love my MBA and would pay double or triple if I had to (which was almost the case for the first Rev A MBA!) since it earns me money every minute of the day- and it's a write-off. :D

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Windows is not a mediocre OS, it has majority share of the market, for instance, your chase ATM machine, cashier register are all Windows system. I have actually seen the windows start button on screen when some of these computers reboot.

So is should use the OS that operates ATMs because it has more market share? If that's all that matters, then no one would have used Intel chips in the 1990s because the PowerPC had a higher market share from all the embedded chips out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.