Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

feflower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Windows is not a mediocre OS, it has majority share of the market, for instance, your chase ATM machine, cashier register are all Windows system. I have actually seen the windows start button on screen when some of these computers reboot.

You are arguing ad populum. This is a weak argumentation strategy. Market share has nothing to do with quality of product.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
For those who answered my post and disagreed, I couldn't find any hardware or software comparison besides the old trolls and rants.

So pointing out that the one Lenovo notebook on your site was priced within $170 when equipped with an SSD, and a slower processor and larger, heavier form factor is trolling and ranting?

No one is denying that the Lenovo E220 is a nice ultraportable and is reasonably priced, and a decent comparison to the MacBook Air. However, the E420 you mentioned isn't comparable to the MacBook Air. If you want to argue that the 13" Pro is overpriced, go ahead and point to the E420. But don't say the MacBook Air is overpriced because a notebook that weighs twice as much and has fewer features costs half as much as the 11" Air.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I really didn't want to argue when I started this thread, but I owe this one to all the haters. While most you who agreed MacBook Air is overpriced, you can't explain why you paid more for it.

Excuse me? I know exactly why I bought the Macbook Air. Just because you don't know why you bought it, doesn't mean we didn't. Dude, just return it if you think you got ripped off. Pretty obvious no one is going to convince you otherwise.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Looking back at the OPs other threads, it appears he purchased the MacBook Air at the beginning of the month (and thus is outside the return window), and was a first time Mac buyer. I'm sensing buyers remorse, and s/he is now just looking for a reason, any reason, to bash Macs and Apples as overpriced. This is at least the second thread calling the MacBook Air overpriced and claiming that Apple somehow "ripped off" the buyer. There is no reasoning with someone with this view, so it's probably best to just let it go.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Windows is a miserable experience after six months. Sure your Lenovo will feel shiny and new but to truly maintain a Windows PC you have to plan on writing zeroes to the disk and starting fresh every six months. Sure you can sometimes get a fast enough processor to hide the fragmentation, viruses and spyware but it WILL catch up with you.

Why did I get an Apple MacBook Air?

1. Every six months I run Onyx, it requires 8 minutes and my Air is good as new before you've even backed up your first folder preparing for the great wipe.

2. I value reliability, lightness and form factor beyond processor speed. The keyboard feedback matters. The responsiveness of the trackpad matters. Being away from home all day and knowing when I open the Air it will have the battery life to keep going another six hours matters.

3. Due to driver issues, viruses, spyware, bloat and maintenance I insist on OS X. There are many available choices but for my needs I can't beat the speed, quiet, battery and form factor of an Air.

OP and many millions buy for specs rather than experience and up until now Apple pricing prevented entry for many, but come on $999 for OS X on an Air...

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Anyone dare to compare them side by side, and tell me straight in the eye, MacBook is better? Well, you can't really see my eyes.

Queen6

macrumors G4
As with all in life you get what you pay for, if you want the Lenovo go for it they are great machines, and Windows 7 is a mature OS.

Apple is offering something different as in a total package, a very strong record of reliability, the best customer support and great resale value. One other option to consider; on average Mac`s have a far longer useable lifecycle than the average PC system and over the longterm can work out less in terms of ownership cost, as you long as dont get caught up in upgrading too frequently.

A fully loaded ThinkPad can equal the cost of a Mac, the big difference is when you decide to let go of the computer the Mac will return a fair percentage of the original cost, a ThinkPad will fair than most PC based systems, however it wont come close to what the Mac will return...

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Anyone dare to compare them side by side, and tell me straight in the eye, MacBook is better? Well, you can't really see my eyes.

I have a Lenovo desktop at work that has better specs than the laptop you listed. I do as much work as possible on my Air.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Windows is a poor mobile OS as it'll keep the fans running. I'd stick with a MacBook and OSX any day.

Apparently someone forgot to mention that to my Windows 7 laptops. Someone also forgot to mention that to my Air when running bootcamped Windows 7 as the fans are just as quiet and battery life is within 10-15 minutes of what it is in OSX.

Windows is a miserable experience after six months. Sure your Lenovo will feel shiny and new but to truly maintain a Windows PC you have to plan on writing zeroes to the disk and starting fresh every six months. Sure you can sometimes get a fast enough processor to hide the fragmentation, viruses and spyware but it WILL catch up with you.

I see this thread has no shortage of people who haven't got a clue. I'm not exaggerating a bit when I say everything you just claimed is fabricated BS.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I do think those four have a point. If you seriously consider being ripped off when you are paying twice as much for a laptop that is half as thin and half the weight, with much, much better specs, you are either incredible stupid or YOU are just trolling. I really can't see why you would compare this Lenovo to a MBA. There are others, lenovo's, Samsung and perhaps a sony, that are worth comparing with the MBA.

And yes, I'm a apple fanboy, but not blindly so. I'm a fanboy because they do a lot of things really, really well. And I do like the competition that Samsung and others are putting up, it will keep apple on their toes, I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Looking you straight in the eye. The Macbook Air is a better machine overall. Better performance, investment, flexibility, and build quality. The lenovo is a good machine, the Macbook Air is a Great machine it does everything the Lenovo does and more.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I just bought a Mac Air 13", and saw the Lenovo website, Look at this, Lenovo is selling laptops for about $600(website below). You have

4GB ram
500GB Hard drive
intel Core i7, NOT i5 :)
brand new windows 7
6 hrs battery
14" HD screen

I see what Mac is offering, but with that money, I can buy a Lenovo, use for a year, toss it in the trash, and still got money for another one. I am just like WOW.

Here is the website: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=9F4D9F1B85C24267B579D9A60A9BDD25

If it is one thing I have learnt in life, it is that you get what you pay for. So if you want something good, you need to be willing to shell out good money for it. Same goes for computers.

If you choose to buy a cheaper laptop with the intention of replacing it every year, then you have just answered your own question of why it is that cheap.

If the lenovo laptop suits your needs, then it could be just that you are not in a position to take full advantage of most/all of a MBA's features. For instance, if your laptop never leaves your home table, then maybe you would be indifferent to a heavier/bulkier (and also cheaper) computer since portability apparently isn't an issue.

Seriously, you have already bought your MBA, it's a done deal. If you don't plan on selling it, why not just try to enjoy it rather than vent your frustrations here? Honestly, I don't see why the people here should care less; it really isn't their money or problem. :confused:

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I'm a recent Mac convert. If there is one thing I have learned it is that trying to compare a Windows-based machine with a Mac on a Mac forum is probably pointless.

While I agree there are aspects of Mac OSX that I enjoy there are features that I miss from Windows (snap window feature for e.g.).

There are people who will always blindly go with Apple (the majority of them are on this site) despite there being a better alternative (read: cost-effective).

To address your point though, no you didn't waste your money UNLESS you are only using your notebook as a desktop replacement computer that never leaves your house and you only email/word process on it. Then yes you did. If you travel and do any moderate computing tasks you will like the Air. I know I do.

If you are missing Snap Windows install BetterTouchTool. It also allows you to define many more gestures and it is free.

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
But the ease of use of checking off 1 box to remote access is.

Just as plugging in an Atv to a TV is easier than setting up a Roku to stream media on your computer

Well, on windows, I can buy a $30 adapter and plug it into my TV. Then I just need to press one button, and I can stream ANYTHING I want WIRELESSLY from my notebook to my TV. Anything. Can you do that on your Mac? Or do you need to use ATV and iTunes only?

And btw, it's called "Intel Wireless Display". And if you have any 2011 Macbook, you have it in there too. But Apple doesn't want you to know and doesn't want you to use it, because they need to sell you more ATV boxes. How nice of them :rolleyes:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I see what Mac is offering, but with that money, I can buy a Lenovo, use for a year, toss it in the trash, and still got money for another one. I am just like WOW.

You can buy a Lenovo, use for a year, toss it in the trash, buy another one, use for a year, toss it in the trash, and as a result you spent two years with a rubbish laptop and now you have nothing. Instead you can enjoy the MacBook Air for two years, and after two years you have a MacBook Air that hasn't even reached half its life expectancy and is still going strong. And around that time I think there should be another big cat ready to leap on the MBA making you enjoy it even more.

Well, on windows, I can buy a $30 adapter and plug it into my TV. Then I just need to press one button, and I can stream ANYTHING I want WIRELESSLY from my notebook to my TV. Anything.

Buy it. Tell us how it works.

Website by website, or side by side? Side by side, there is no PC laptop that comes anywhere near an Apple laptop, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. At my place of work, the most hardened Windows users try to get a MacBook Air and install Windows on it (we have company wide Windows licenses).

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Define "better" and you'll get a more useful discussion.

Looking at the E420s, once you add a 128GB SSD and bluetooth you're at $950. The MBA13/128 is half the thickness (17mm vs 31.2mm), nearly 20 ounces lighter (2.96lb vs 4.14lb), and gives a better resolution display (1440x900 vs 1366x768).

If the only thing you care about is the price, then yes you can save money in comparison to Apple laptops. Apple competes on quality, design, and user "experience" -- if you don't care about any of those, go buy the Lenovo. Sort of like the difference between going to Ponderosa vs Ruth's Chris steakhouse. Both will serve you a steak dinner. :D

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

I have pointed out that the MacBook Air has a faster processor than the E220 (though just barely if you are using an 11" MacBook Air), and weighs .3-.9lbs less (depending on if you compare it to the 13" or 11" Air). The 13" also has a higher resolution display. Whether those features are worth $170-$270 is a matter of judgment.

And btw, it's called "Intel Wireless Display". And if you have any 2011 Macbook, you have it in there too. But Apple doesn't want you to know and doesn't want you to use it, because they need to sell you more ATV boxes. How nice of them :rolleyes:

I'm aware that the Sandy Bridge chips include WiDi. However, does it work on any computer equipped with it, or does it need to be enabled through another controller? Stated otherwise, is it possible to enable WiDi in Boot Camp on a 2011 MacBook Pro or MacBook Air? (This is a question, non-rhetorical).

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
I'm aware that the Sandy Bridge chips include WiDi. However, does it work on any computer equipped with it, or does it need to be enabled through another controller? Stated otherwise, is it possible to enable WiDi in Boot Camp on a 2011 MacBook Pro or MacBook Air? (This is a question, non-rhetorical).

Yes, it works on any Sandy Bridge notebook, you just need to install the drivers/software from Intel or your computer manufacturer. Not sure about the BootCamp compatibility, but AFAIK the Windows drivers for MacBooks are provided by Apple? The generic Intel drivers are here: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-031109.htm

halledise

macrumors 68000
I just bought a Mac Air 13", and saw the Lenovo website, Look at this, Lenovo is selling laptops for about $600(website below). You have

4GB ram
500GB Hard drive
brand new windows 7
6 hrs battery
14" HD screen

Here is the website: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=9F4D9F1B85C24267B579D9A60A9BDD25

you sure screwed up BIG TIME. :rolleyes:
sell your MBAir as soon as possible and buy the Lenovo!
like WOW, man :D

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX

4GB ram
500GB Hard drive
brand new windows 7
6 hrs battery
14" HD screen

I like the "brand new windows 7" spec. I was upset that my new MBA came with a slightly used Lion. :)

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I dont think it's a troll. This is a common question that people who don't know how the industry works ask.

"Why should i pay 999 for apples xxxx, when Lenova makes a YYYY for less?"

this is where the mythical "apple tax" often gets brought up, and many don't understand really what they're talking about. They just think you pay more for a Mac.

I'm a lifelong PC user myself. 10 years ago, yes, there was a clear "apple tax" in which if you built a machine for windows that was 100% identical. Apple was more expensive.

But thats gone today. What people see as the apple tax is a lack of options. Yes you can build a Windows based laptop for $500. yes, that is significantly less than the Apple variant.

But then you have to start comparing the nitty gritty details. Parts and performance. Size and form factor. Then you need to look at product age. Apple has an extremely slow update cycle. if you buy at the end of the cycle, yes, you can find other similar products for the same or cheaper. But in the first couple months, Apple right now leads the pact. The 2011 Air's are an example. Find a competing product at same price or less that matches the specs. you can't. Apples channel policy and parternships with Intel means they're typically first out the gate right now with newest tech. Which means at the beginning of the product lifecycle, Apple typically is a tremendous bang for your buck. The option usually is wait a few months for the competitors to catch up.

But in the case where, yes, other companies have hundreds of products to match all sorts of needs and uses. Appe doesn't. Apple has a pretty small offering. So yes, you can compare a $500 notebook to a $1,000 Apple, if that 500 notebook does everything you need it to, than perhaps it's the better buy for you. However if their are features of the Apple that you want / need, then it's probably a good deal to pay the extra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.