64 GB or 32 GB iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LeighAnna Jones, Oct 9, 2010.

1. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

I'm getting an iPod touch for Christmas, and my parents are letting me choose the storage capacity. I don't know WHICH to choose, however.

I don't know if I would use all of a 64 GBs Model, or use more than 32 GBs.

I'm 13 years old, and I don't know. I just can't decide.

I would use the apps part RICHLY. And I would take alot of pictures, probably alot of videos, just not very long. I would definatley use the music part, for about 20-50 songs. I would add more, I hear a song on the radio and buy it. I would probably use alot of the other features too.

32 or 64?

EDIT: My Aunt is a professor at a college, so she could get my parents a discount...
    My parents are willing to buy me an iPod of my choice too, like I said before...
    BUT: If I do get an iPod Touch, I will be keeping it for a couple of years, and I won't be getting a new one anytime soon.

I'm not sure if that should change my choice.
    I might find more music I like, get bigger apps, and take more photos.
    I would sync all my videos to my computer, too.

I think I will be getting a 32.

Like most people said, I probably won't even use HALF of it.

There is a reason I don't want to get the 8 gb.

My friend has an 8 GBs, and she has used almost 6 GBs of music on there. She has the old iPod. The new one has a video camera. I can see that remaining 2 GBs filling up fast.

I probably would have asked for a 16 GBs, but in the NEW iPod, they took the 16 GBs model out.

So it was either 32 or 64.

I think I will go with the 32. It's not likely that I will use all of it, but it's better safe then sorry.

And if I do run out of space, I could always just buy an iPod with a higher capacity, sync all of my data to the new one, erase the old one, and return the old one. I think I will go with the 32. Thanks for your replies!

I'm using the rest of the money for apps that cost money, screen protectors, cases, ect.

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

32. Unless you plan to store a ton more than you just put, or if you plan to take more than, say, five hours of video without syncing it to your computer.

Honestly, I'm inclined with what you said to steer you towards an 8.

EDIT: Just noticed you get to choose a free iPod. 64 then, of course.

3. citizenal macrumors regular

I would get a 64 gb as well. You may not need alot of capacity right now, but who knows in the next 3 years, right? If it's a gift, then why not, you might start ripping dvd's and using handbrake to upload it to the touch, in which case you'll use up all 64 gb like I did.

4. chanerz macrumors 6502a

5. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

I'd get the 32. Cause since you are 13, you probably don't have an extensive music library and that's what the storage is for. 64 GB would be a waste and remain unused for the most part.

6. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Go for 32gb, additional 32gb are not worth 100$!

7. eddy2099 macrumors member

If you plan to take a lot of video clips and probably lectures then the 64gb would be good but otherwise the 32gb would suffice.

Although based on what you say, the 8gb would be good enough for you but counting that it is just $70 more to get a 32gb with 4x more memory, it is certainly the best option.

I supposed if your parents are willing to pay for a 64gb, maybe what you could do is get the 32gb ipod touch then use the rest of the money to get a good case, screen protector and other accessories.

8. Abscissa macrumors regular

I agree...I'd steer you at an 8GB because I have about 200 apps and its only like 3 or 4GBs used from those. I have about 14GBs of music though...haha

But like he said...a free iPod from rich parents, go for the best one. See if they'll get you an iPhone 4 haha.

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

You sound like you barely need 8GB of storage, but depending on videos, and such, a would suggest a 32GB, and get a dock, case, screen protectors, the such. You probably wont use 16GB, let alone 64GB.

Especially since on average, 1GB=250 songs.

You probably won't use that 1GB, but it's possible. Apps don't take up much space, and neither does pictures. Videos are the only media that take up a lot of space.

32GB.

Maybe a poll would help?

10. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Just get a 32,you won't even use half of it,I have a 32 and I have 1800 songs,10 movies,20 music videos,and 100 apps on it and have barely used 15GB.

11. dmunz macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

64g. Think about the possibility of resale later. it will be easier and worth more if you need/want to sell later.

FWIW
    DLM

12. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

It will NEVER attract the same premium that you have to pay for it in the first place. Get the 32GB version! If you really needed the storage, you would already know about it. Your parents will also be pleased that you'd rather have the premium spent on some protection. Get a screen cover or a protective case instead and some iTunes Store credit perhaps.

13. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

The more expensive the product is, the more you lose in resale. Go with the 32GB.

14. LeighAnna Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

Good Idea...

15. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

If a product doesn't cost the user anything in the first place, resale value is 100% profit. Go with the 64.

16. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I know.

Since you say you won't be getting a new one within the next few years, you should probably get a 64GB, just in case.

17. LeighAnna Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I will be getting a 32.

Like most people said, I probably won't even use HALF of it.

There is a reason I don't want to get the 8 gb.

My friend has an 8 GBs, and she has used almost 6 GBs of music on there. She has the old iPod. The new one has a video camera. I can see that remaining 2 GBs filling up fast.

I probably would have asked for a 16 GBs, but in the NEW iPod, they took the 16 GBs model out.

So it was either 32 or 64.

I think I will go with the 32. It's not likely that I will use all of it, but it's better safe then sorry.

And if I do run out of space, I could always just buy an iPod with a higher capacity, sync all of my data to the new one, erase the old one, and return the old one. I think I will go with the 32. Thanks for your replies!

18. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

You're welcome. :)

19. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

To the OP:

I would still feel bad about abusing your parents' generosity. They wanted to know because they trusted you that you'd choose wisely to ask for whichever meets your needs best. But it's obvious that you don't need a larger model and to be fair, who knows what happens in three years' time. You might lose it, break it, but most teenagers in your age don't have a very extensive music and video collection that they need on their iPod.

In many ways, the smaller is better. It's not just the price but the fact that at one point, you'd have to start filling the storage with all sorts of crap not to feel bad about the unused capacity. But the joy of these things is in their simplicity. Whatever is important will fit on the 32GB, trust me.

I would think twice about getting the larger one and I have an extensive, 15 years old music collection that I started building up when I was at university, years before it got really extensive thanks to a thing called 'Napster'. Since I pay for my music and prefer to have a CD version that I can grab, I become more selective and I realised that you can actually get lost in music collections and you have to be selective if you want to really enjoy music. So I don't even put a lot of stuff on my computer and mobile devices. What's on is still hefty but I cannot possibly imagine that I wouldn't be able to fit the really important music on a 32GB iPod Touch, even with some space allocated for apps. My 8GB iPhone is too small and hasn't got any music on (as I hate iTunes), but I have other music players with lots of media on them.

One more thing... Browsing through a very extensive media collection on the iPod Touch/iPhone interface is not really practical.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would go for 32GB. Think about it 64GB???

I still think 32GB is still a lot (especially for me)
    I have only used 14GB and that is mainly filled by TV shows and other junk that I don't need on my iPhone because its not like I'm going to view all my TV shows on the way to school.

21. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

64GB FTW (if you can afford it)! I have a 8GB 2gen and I would get 64 GB immediatly. Bigger is better. :D

22. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Hahaha, If I were you I would take advantage of getting a 64GB even if I don't need all the storage, because maybe in a year or so you will probably run out of storage on a 32 gig.

23. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I splurged and bought the 64GB 4G. I may not use it... who knows, but I got a good deal on it.

24. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

How much? :p

25. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I have the 32, and I have almost 4k songs on it taking up around 16 GB thanks to iTunes' converting to 128 aac (most of my music is lossless, but hey, lossless is useless on most portable devices, especially with my headphones)