Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I did a search so please excuse my poor search skills and just link the thread if this has been covered.

Is the 6S Plus (or S generation overall this year) worth upgrading from last year's 6 Plus?

Thanks.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I would say it is a great upgrade. I was skeptical about upgrading from my plus but after using it now for a little over a day it is fantastic. Super fast and smooth. The 3D Touch is fun and useful. Camera is excellent as well.

Benched08

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
I'd say absolutely not. Hold out for a 7. If I had to pay more than $100 for this thing I'd feel jipped. Serious. The speed increase is incremental and iOS 9 still hobbles it somewhat, and 3D Touch is kinda gimmicky until developers figure out good uses for it.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Actually the speed increase is pretty substantial when compared to the plus model. And 3D Touch works great so far granted not a ton of apps yet. But they are coming. And with 2gb of ram this thing flies.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
I did a search so please excuse my poor search skills and just link the thread if this has been covered.

Is the 6S Plus (or S generation overall this year) worth upgrading from last year's 6 Plus?

Thanks.
Yes I am very, very pleased over all the improved aspects of my 128 GB 6S Plus. very fast, speedy instantaneous fingerprint recognition, great new cameras (both), 3D touch is very interesting. and the phone is darn fast...

JOSEPH99

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2015

Thanks.
I was on the fence as well. But I can say with the utmost confidence that it is a truly great upgrade!!

Reactions: karmamule

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
If you resell your 6+ and hop onto the iPhone upgrade program, then what do you have to lose? You'll get better resale value now then next year anyway.

I made the 6+ to 6S+ upgrade and I haven't looked back. Great upgrade.

JOSEPH99

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2015
Give a 6s+ a shot. There is no doubt that it's a much better phone. The processor alone is worth the upgrade.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well it looks like the folks who didn't upgrade don't think so and the folks who did so far seem pleased. If you are on an upgrade plan that won't break your budget then yes, it's a very nice upgrade.

I was not happy with my 6Plus. I am happy with my 6S plus so far and actually hope to keep it two years. I could not wait to unload my 6Plus. My husband, on the other hand, was very happy with his 6Plus yet still enjoys his new 6S plus.

However, it's NOT worth undertaking any financial hardship to upgrade.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Everybody be actin like the 6 series were snails...my 6+ was no slouch, it was light on its feet. The speed improvements aren't worth hundreds of dollars to anybody.
We wll have our opinions. The performance increases are absolutely worth it to me. I feel the most ripped with the 6 plus. That felt like a waste of money knowing what I know now. Should have swallowed my pride and returned it.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I usually buy the year before model ... I just bought a new 6 plus 128gb (Apple doesn't sell it anymore because they want you to buy the new one).
This saves me a few hundred dollars whenever I get a new iPhone.
The next one for me will probably be 7s

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I went from a 6+ to the 6S+ because my 6+ was only 16gb and I was on the Next 12. Turned out I could get more for my phone at gazelle.com than trading it back to att. I really wanted the 64gb version. Worked out for me to get the 6S+. I love it! The speed improvements and function enhancements are great! I agree though, that it's not worth putting yourself into financial hardship over it.

nikielizabeth

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
I had the 6+, but on Sept 6th it was stolen from a movie theater (fun), so I either had to wait it out (painful) or buy another 6+. I ended up toughing it out (HOLY HELL THAT WAS MISERABLE), and I got my pre-ordered 6s on the 25th. I opted for the 6s instead of the 6s+ only b/c it was very hard to run w/ that giant phone (but, I am missing the size right now - it was nice).

Either way, the 6s is a great phone. The 3D touch is fun, but not something that I find necessary. The speed and the camera are what make this phone worth it. If you can afford it, then get it. If you are like most people on this forum - buying a new Apple device is almost like breathing - you just have to do it. :)

I love my phone. And if you don't run w/ yours or require traveling around w/ just your phone in your hand (no pockets/purse/etc), then go for the + again. It really is a great phone and a great size.

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Well it looks like the folks who didn't upgrade don't think so and the folks who did so far seem pleased. If you are on an upgrade plan that won't break your budget then yes, it's a very nice upgrade.

I was not happy with my 6Plus. I am happy with my 6S plus so far and actually hope to keep it two years. I could not wait to unload my 6Plus. My husband, on the other hand, was very happy with his 6Plus yet still enjoys his new 6S plus.

However, it's NOT worth undertaking any financial hardship to upgrade.

Yes I upgraded from 6+ to 6S+, if you can easily afford to upgrade it is a nice upgrade. However if money is tight then just save your money.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'd say absolutely not. Hold out for a 7. If I had to pay more than $100 for this thing I'd feel jipped. Serious. The speed increase is incremental and iOS 9 still hobbles it somewhat, and 3D Touch is kinda gimmicky until developers figure out good uses for it.
Actually the speed increase is pretty massive. You clearly haven't used one. It shows just how underpowered the 6 Plus was in comparison. The 6s+ is a very significant upgrade for the performance alone.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
I did and I would say no.
Unless you need to have the latest and greatest.
I just got it today but so far, I don't notice much difference.
The iPhone 6 is a great phone as it is, and iOS 9 makes it even better.
I'm loving the 3D Touch and snappier performance but not sure it's worth burning an upgrade eligibility or full price over the 6 Plus.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I see a lot of people repeating "financial hardship". I'm not trying to call anyone on this, but I'm just going to say, if ANY phone outs you in financial hardship, it's just not worth it. I can think of very few situations where one may NEED a smartphone. Phones are arguably necessities for emergencies, work calls, etc. you can get those for $10-20. Never out yourself into financial hardship over a WANT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.