Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I scored the $300 off deal from Best Buy. It's almost a guarantee that whatever the 13 has for "upgrades" won't be worth the extra dough.

I'd take a photo but that would require one of the phones.

It's pretty obvious though. The 6S screen is easier for me to read at low brightness and is definitely brighter on max, better color all around. 12 Mini looks like there's a (very subtle) layer of grey over everything.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Oh wait, I have an iPad:
(Mini on left, 6S on right)
66DE2A7A-907A-4F91-849A-E5B572CAA6AB.jpeg

Reactions: snipr125
Oh wait, I have an iPad:
(Mini on left, 6S on right)
View attachment 1824755
Thank you for posting the photo.

I have to agree 6S screen does look better, LOL. Is the brightness all the way up? 100%?

Welcome to the club, dude. Join this thread! ahhhh,

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Thank you for posting the photo.

I have to agree 6S screen does look better, LOL. Is the brightness all the way up? 100%?
Yup, they're both maxed, TrueTone/NightShift turned off, no alterations to color through accessibility or anything.

I have to be honest, this Mini is a bit disappointing. For me it doesn't do anything better than the 6S. Maybe battery life is better, but that remains to be seen. FaceID? Cool, but not strictly a groundbreaker. TouchID worked just fine. 5G? I never had a problem with LTE.

Cool factor? Maybe... Design? Slick, that's for sure. Bigger screen? I don't know if I care.

I'm real glad I didn't pay full price for it. But now the dilemma is do I sell it and make a few bucks, or just hang on to it because eventually I will have to upgrade regardless? The 6S still has a headphone jack and apparently a better screen. Decisions, decisions.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
If it’s bothering you only at lower brightness it could’ve the PWM used on the oled screens. I agree though, the 6s screen was really easy on the eyes compared to newer iPhone screens.

Reactions: OJK

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
If it’s bothering you only at lower brightness it could’ve the PWM used on the oled screens. I agree though, the 6s screen was really easy on the eyes compared to newer iPhone screens.

I'll have to A/B them more tomorrow when it's light. So far the Mini just seems to be duller all around. PWM hasn't seemed to be an issue so far, but I was worried about that factor.

sharksftw

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
You got a faulty mini then. I compared the mini to the 6S and SE and the Mini screen is way better. Especially the colors. The 6s is a low-res LCD with a contrast ratio of 800:1 while the mini has a higher res OLED with a contrast ratio of 1000000:1

the Mini has the exact same screen as the regular 12 and the pros so all of them would have worse screens than previous phones, which makes no sense at all.

Last edited:

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Book a test at your nearest optometrist. Some age deteriorative diseases of the eye can lead to an incorrect perception of color saturation and depth.

I wouldn’t count of making a profit on a Mini even when reduced - they are selling under MSRP since there is no market for them. Exchange if you got a faulty unit and keep as a spare phone, maybe?

Good luck.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
If I do sell the 12 Mini I'll be sticking with the 6S until it's pried from my hands.

Since you don’t seem to care about most of 12 mini’s features, the biggest difference for you is probably the camera(s) - mini’s being much better than that of a 6S. If this is not a deal-breaker either, SE2020 could be another option for you, as it uses the same screen tech as your 6S, will have a brand-new battery and costs very little as is, even before any potential discounts.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Comparing the screen brightness in a dark room with a (relatively) dark picture, doesn't say much.
You should test it in a bright environment with a brighter picture and auto brightness turned on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.