Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Blacknight-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Florida, USA
Some things i would like to be in the new Itouch:

The new A7 chip used in the new Iphones. Why? Because the A5 chip in the current model is out of date, and with IOS 8 in fall of 2014, we may see a performance decrease if Apple keeps it.

4.7'' Retina touch screen. Why? Although a 4'' screen is nice, but its falling behind with most mobile tech. The keyboard is cramped, especialy in portrait mode, and reading news articles and books can be a challenge in the small screen.

3Mp Facetime Camera. Why? Have you noticed when using Facetime on your Facetime camera your face looks tall and streched out? And photos sometimes come out grainy? With better optics, more Mp, and better camera options, your Facetime camera would be perfect. And who doesnt like taking pictures of your self?

Gorilla Glass. Why? Although it wont protect against every drop, it will make a difference for sure. Almost everyone i know who has an ipod touch of any kind has had its screen shatter for sometimes silly reasons. Give it Gorilla Glass so it wont be as fragile as it is now. I brace for the worse when i drop my 5th gen ipod, its silly.

3G/4G models. Why? Today, the ipod is almost COMPLETELY dependent on Wifi. Wanna play your Clash Of Clans in the car driving for hours? Nope. Want to update and make documents for your company while on the go? Nope. Want to Shazam that awesome song by Robin Thicke you just heard on the radio? NOPE! Come on Apple, lets step up the game.

If you have ideas, just comment below
Thanks, -Blacknight-

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
- A7 chip is practically guaranteed.

- I wouldn't say that 4.7" is necessary, given the the touch is mainly popular with younger children with smaller hands. Plus, the success of the 5s and 5c already shows that having a screen that's .7" smaller isn't falling behind.

- Again, what do you want to accomplish with this? The 2 MP backside-illuminated FaceTime HD camera of the 5s has none of the issues you mentioned. They could just stick that into the iPod, as 3 MP is overkill and unnecessary.

- Apple devices already have gorilla glass, but they just don't market it. Gorilla glass will give some scratch resistance, but the best alternative will be in a few years, when sapphire will be available to the masses.

- 3G/4G models are probably unlikely. You'd be better off getting the 5s when the price goes down if you really want a cellular contract.

I'd probably want the following:

- Touch ID
- 8 MP iSight camera, with slow-mo, burst mode, and True Tone flash
- 802.11ac wifi, if it's feasible for battery life and size. Or at least MIMO capability would be awesome.
- GPS chip and offline maps capability, for navigation
- Ambient light sensor, since it was removed from the 5th gen
- 32 GB minimum storage, with the option of 128 GB
- Enhanced battery life. Because who doesn't want more battery life?

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Your other points are all good ideas... but having 3G/4G would just make the iPod Touch into an iPhone, wouldn't it? I mean sure, you can't SMS or call using traditional methods, but pretty much everyone has a smartphone today and there are more than enough messaging apps and VOIP apps to fill the void of traditional calling and texting. It would be absolutely fantastic from a consumer perspective, but horrible for Apple's business.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
I disagree that the iPod touch is only for young children. It's a good alternative to a smartphone for teenagers like me who can't afford a smartphone plan. The majority of my friends and I have an iPod touch and a non-smart phone.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
New iPod touch? I don't think updating iPods are a priority for apple anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they killed off iPod all together.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
New iPod touch? I don't think updating iPods are a priority for apple anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they killed off iPod all together.

They won't, it's the first entry point for a lot of teens and pre teens into the iOS ecosystem. The iPhone was a major success because it was targetted to a huge group of iPod users.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida

The new A7 chip used in the new Iphones. Why? Because the A5 chip in the current model is out of date, and with IOS 8 in fall of 2014, we may see a performance decrease if Apple keeps it.

4.7'' Retina touch screen. Why? Although a 4'' screen is nice, but its falling behind with most mobile tech. The keyboard is cramped, especialy in portrait mode, and reading news articles and books can be a challenge in the small screen.

3Mp Facetime Camera. Why? Have you noticed when using Facetime on your Facetime camera your face looks tall and streched out? And photos sometimes come out grainy? With better optics, more Mp, and better camera options, your Facetime camera would be perfect. And who doesnt like taking pictures of your self?

Gorilla Glass. Why? Although it wont protect against every drop, it will make a difference for sure. Almost everyone i know who has an ipod touch of any kind has had its screen shatter for sometimes silly reasons. Give it Gorilla Glass so it wont be as fragile as it is now. I brace for the worse when i drop my 5th gen ipod, its silly.

3G/4G models. Why? Today, the ipod is almost COMPLETELY dependent on Wifi. Wanna play your Clash Of Clans in the car driving for hours? Nope. Want to update and make documents for your company while on the go? Nope. Want to Shazam that awesome song by Robin Thicke you just heard on the radio? NOPE! Come on Apple, lets step up the game.

Thanks, -Blacknight-

This (for the most part) already exists: it's called the iPhone 5S.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

Thanks, -Blacknight-

All of these things will never happen with the exception of the A7 (which won't happen until an A9 or A10 chip is released)

Here's the best you can look forward to when/if they update the iPod Touch.

1. A6 chip - Even the first iPod Touch was a slower version of the iPhone's processor. No way will they stick a high end chip in the iPod.
2. Same screen as iPhone. If they don't make a bigger iPhone they won't make a bigger iPod Touch... and even if they do that doesn't mean they will make a bigger iPod Touch.
3. Facetime Camera on an iPod will never be better than the one on the iPad Mini. They do not want to cannibalize their own sales.
4. Gorilla Glass is a possibility... depends on the cost of parts.
5. They're never going to make a 4G/LTE iPod touch... they don't sell enough as it is... I've actually never seen an iPod Touch 5th gen out in the wild, only in stores. If anyone has an iOS device it's usually an iPhone... again it would also cannibalize their iPad Mini sales AND their iPhone sales now that there are so many VOIP apps on iOS.

At this point I actually wouldn't be too surprised if they did away with the iPod Touch line. The Nano line and the Shuffle line will survive though. They have their niche, but the Touch line is now the bastard child that sits between the iPad Mini and the iPhone but costing nearly the same as both of them (subsidized) but has either less screen real estate or slower processor (or both in the case of the iPad Mini Retina) and weaker features.

If they put in more speed and features they'll be charging close to unsubsidized iPhone prices and nobody will buy it.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Your other points are all good ideas... but having 3G/4G would just make the iPod Touch into an iPhone, wouldn't it? I mean sure, you can't SMS or call using traditional methods, but pretty much everyone has a smartphone today and there are more than enough messaging apps and VOIP apps to fill the void of traditional calling and texting. It would be absolutely fantastic from a consumer perspective, but horrible for Apple's business.

Actually it would make it into a smaller iPad since it still wouldn't have the phone app. However, there are many apps that would have the ability to make calls and text, and do these things far cheaper than a phone can. A device like this would sell like crazy.

Superluigi6

Suspended
Oct 3, 2013

Thanks, -Blacknight-

The A7 chip is extremely likely, especially with 64-bit.
The 4.7 inch screen will only happen if the iPhone 6 has it. I mean, if Apple sold the iPhone 6 with a 4.7-inch screen and iPod touch 6 with a 4 inch, that would be crazy.
3mp FaceTime camera seems a little too unlikely. But FaceTime HD, yes.
I don't think they would include Gorilla Glass.
Apple will definitely not make 4g models. Why? The iPod touch was designed for somebody that doesn't have a smartphone yet, but doesn't want to be left out with just a, say, DS. Think of it as the smartphone with no phone. Parents love the iPod touch because of it's no monthly charge. That's why I think it is unlikely.

I'd personally love to come back to the regular $199 model for the iPod touch, just like how the old iPod touch 4g originally was. Now it's $400! I get it, it's a really great iPod touch, but for $400 you can get an iPad mini 2 at that price.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Actually it would make it into a smaller iPad since it still wouldn't have the phone app. However, there are many apps that would have the ability to make calls and text, and do these things far cheaper than a phone can. A device like this would sell like crazy.

Especially seeing as the iPod Touch is really cheap compared to the iPhone - which is why Apple has to keep the Touch pretty inferior to the iPhone if they want to maximize their profits. If they did do something like give the iPod Touch 3G/4G then they'd have to jack up the price so it costs only $100-$200 less than the iPhone. At current prices adding such a feature would absolutely destroy iPhone sales.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
More capacity would great, but otherwise for me it's just an iPod. I don't have any apps on my mine; I want it small and light.

Technically I prefer the side of the iPod nano, but sadly that one does not come in bigger capacities.

lobeyonekenobi

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

I reckon you're spot on, it only makes up 2% of sales maybe even less, it's going the same way as the iPod Classic, I mean I love the iPod, I have the 5th Gen and it's worked flawless and I have dropped it a few times and not even a scratch, but I don't think it has priority anymore.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Especially seeing as the iPod Touch is really cheap compared to the iPhone - which is why Apple has to keep the Touch pretty inferior to the iPhone if they want to maximize their profits. If they did do something like give the iPod Touch 3G/4G then they'd have to jack up the price so it costs only $100-$200 less than the iPhone. At current prices adding such a feature would absolutely destroy iPhone sales.

It would also destroy the sales of every other smartphone on the market, which Apple would love.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

You actually don't want Apple to give the would-be 6th Gen iPod touch an A7. Why? Because by then (as, if it is to arrive at all, it will do so no earlier than next September per usual), it will be one generation behind. That was the one annoying thing about the fifth generation model; they purposely kept it one chip revision behind for no reason that I could tell other than holding it behind the iPhone 5, which is dumb.

Ideally, we see an A8 or whatever Apple makes and/or uses to replace the A7.

4.7'' Retina touch screen. Why? Although a 4'' screen is nice, but its falling behind with most mobile tech. The keyboard is cramped, especialy in portrait mode, and reading news articles and books can be a challenge in the small screen.[/QUOTE]

I sort of don't care about a larger screen, but that's because I hopped on the iPod touch bandwaggon knowing full well that it wasn't ever going to be or replace my phone. If they made it larger, that'd be cool; if they kept it the same size, that'd be okay too, I guess.

3Mp Facetime Camera. Why? Have you noticed when using Facetime on your Facetime camera your face looks tall and streched out? And photos sometimes come out grainy? With better optics, more Mp, and better camera options, your Facetime camera would be perfect. And who doesnt like taking pictures of your self?[/QUOTE]

I'd rather a better back-side camera, but better front cameras aren't somethign I'd complaint about either.

Gorilla Glass. Why? Although it wont protect against every drop, it will make a difference for sure. Almost everyone i know who has an ipod touch of any kind has had its screen shatter for sometimes silly reasons. Give it Gorilla Glass so it wont be as fragile as it is now. I brace for the worse when i drop my 5th gen ipod, its silly.[/QUOTE]

Mine has never shattered; but it's not my phone, and therefore I don't have as much of a liklihood of dropping mine. Better glass is good; but I don't think anywhere near as important as a faster CPU, better cameras, or whatnot.

3G/4G models. Why? Today, the ipod is almost COMPLETELY dependent on Wifi. Wanna play your Clash Of Clans in the car driving for hours? Nope. Want to update and make documents for your company while on the go? Nope. Want to Shazam that awesome song by Robin Thicke you just heard on the radio? NOPE! Come on Apple, lets step up the game.[/QUOTE]

This is where I remind you that it isn't an iPhone. While I'd also like an iPod touch with iPad-like data functionality; it won't happen because Apple and the carriers are convinced that this need is already fulfilled by the iPhone and the cellular iPad minis. That said, get a cellular iPad mini if you want this functionality; it's quite great.

Thanks, -Blacknight-[/QUOTE]

Armand2REP

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
I am a satisfied owner of the iTouch 5G, got it the first week it was released and still running great after a year. To get me to buy a 6G it must absolutely come with the A7 processor. Anything less would see it become obsolete too fast. The camera should be the same 8MP as iPhone 5. The change I would really love to see is a built in LTE data plan like you can get on the iPad. I would pay $400+ for a 32GB model like that.

Yebubbleman said:
You actually don't want Apple to give the would-be 6th Gen iPod touch an A7. Why? Because by then (as, if it is to arrive at all, it will do so no earlier than next September per usual), it will be one generation behind. That was the one annoying thing about the fifth generation model; they purposely kept it one chip revision behind for no reason that I could tell other than holding it behind the iPhone 5, which is dumb.

There is no way they are going to put a current chip in an iPod Touch and keep the price point around $300. You pay half the price for last years iPhone for the same specs, that is how it works for them to profit. If you get current iphone specs the price will jump to $500, no one will pay that for an iPod. The A7 chip is enough power to run future ios for years to come. I am running on an A5 and don't even see lag except in high end gaming. Considering A7 is several times faster than A5, it will be the biggest leap in iTouch processing ever.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
There is no way they are going to put a current chip in an iPod Touch and keep the price point around $300. You pay half the price for last years iPhone for the same specs, that is how it works for them to profit. If you get current iphone specs the price will jump to $500, no one will pay that for an iPod. The A7 chip is enough power to run future ios for years to come. I am running on an A5 and don't even see lag except in high end gaming. Considering A7 is several times faster than A5, it will be the biggest leap in iTouch processing ever.

iPad minis with retina with an A7 will start at $400. $400 for additional screen real-estate, the ability to run iPad-only apps, albeit at the cost of a fourth of the storage capacity of the A5-laden 5th Gen iPod touch. You're telling me that at $400 they couldn't release a current gen processor-equipped 32GB iPod touch? Because I'll call BS on that one. $500, by that token would be the cost of the 64GB touch, and while I wouldn't be that happy to see the price climb by $100, if that's what Apple wants in order for me to have an iPod touch that will age that much more gracefully, then I'd happily pay that without hesitation.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I'd say iPod Touch 6th gen will come next year along with the new iPhone 6. If you look at the pattern, the iPod Touch release period has been decreased to 2 years.
A5 is definitely on its last legs. iOS7 can barely deal with it. Sad but hey that's technology for you.

iPhone redesign period = new iPod model. So that excludes "S" iteration. Hopefully next iPhone (and iPT) will have larger screen. And I mean larger, not just taller :p

Armand2REP

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
iPad minis with retina with an A7 will start at $400. $400 for additional screen real-estate, the ability to run iPad-only apps, albeit at the cost of a fourth of the storage capacity of the A5-laden 5th Gen iPod touch. You're telling me that at $400 they couldn't release a current gen processor-equipped 32GB iPod touch? Because I'll call BS on that one. $500, by that token would be the cost of the 64GB touch, and while I wouldn't be that happy to see the price climb by $100, if that's what Apple wants in order for me to have an iPod touch that will age that much more gracefully, then I'd happily pay that without hesitation.

No, they can't release a current gen processor because it goes against their entire storage price point. Don't you ever wonder why it costs $100 for an extra measly 16GB? That is where they make insane profits and what makes the iPod Touch a bargain compared to other i -devices. iTouch cannot exceed $400 because no one is going to pay that for an iPod. This device is geared towards teens who need storage for multimedia. The price much match the market and it is already at the high end. The A7 released next year will run anything in the App Store just fine for another two years.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
We must have different definitions on "barely deal with it" :D.

I own and use an iPod Touch 5 and I find that IOS 7 runs great with no slowdowns on my IPT 5.

Do you really own an IPT 5 that's running IOS 7 and are having problems with it ?

No but I own iPhone 4s and it choked at times running iOS 7. So I suppose iPod Touch 5 has the same internal with 4S. No?

Andy-UK

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2013
Like lots of other people I've been hanging onto my 4th gen iPod Touch hoping to skip over the 5th gen to a 6th which hasn't arrived yet. In the end the huge discounts on the Apple online refurbished store won me over and I got a 32Gb 5th gen which, I must say, is gorgeous. I still would have preferred at least an A6 processor but for £179 (28% UK discount) or $219 (26% US discount) I can live with the A5. The camera is good, iOS 7 is lovely and it feels ridiculously thin and light in my hand - completely different from an iPhone - so I can recommend it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.