6th Gen iPods to run OS X?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by rockthecasbah, Jun 28, 2007.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

With all this iPhone hooplah, this story seems to have fallen through the cracks. A report on iLounge.com (originally from Ars Technica) is stating that Jobs alluded to next gen iPods having full capability to run OS X and have similar features to the iPhone.

Link.

From the iLounge it seems more definitive than the original Ars Technica report that had the future iPods hosting these features as not necessarily 6th gen. :eek:

That being said, it is something, whether or not it is this revision or next, that Apple appears not to be afraid of self-canabilization. I'm wary about Apple packing tons of iPhone features into the 6Gs, but i am truly hoping for the iPod end capabilities to be quite similar. OS X for next gens? Maybe the iPod will finally be the Newton reborn one day... :)

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It wouldnt surprise me if they did, because really where else is there for the iPod to go, other than more updates like the last one.

3. walangij macrumors 6502

This is exciting news, I'm sure that the iPod they've been working on will be similar to the iPhone but still different enough to convince new iPhone owners to purchase the iPod too. I can see them marketing it as a companion to the iPhone in some ways.

Hopefully the new iPod will be a media center convergence device like what's on the market, just with the Apple Touch and "gotta have it" marketing that we haven't seen in that sector.

4. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

part of me suspects, that like the mac mini, apple will let the ipod stagnate for a while, untill they have high capacity iphones, and market penetration outside of the US with it.

then will drop the original ipod, the nano and shuffle outsell the ipod anyway. apple doubtfully would care about a few whiney nerds who can't afford the iphone contract plan. naturally i expect the iphone to drop by around $150 when this happens, and have capacities of at least 16 & 32 gigs of flash memory.

5. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Since the iPhone runs stripped down OS X I'm sure a new 6G iPod would run an even more stripped down version. I wouldn't mind cover flow though.

6. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Short of something as radical as iPhone (which i doubt, cos jobs said small team), the next iPod has to include some features, otherwise it'll be forgotten.

1) same touchscreen widescreen as iPhone
    2) at least 30Gb of memory
    3) same GUI for music/movies/photos/contacts

4) maybe the camera
    5) maybe bluetooth

it will not have internet for the reason that it'll need a service provider and iPods can't have that (for reasons other than too close to iPhone)

that's the 6th Gen iPod for you guys:p

7. mpw Guest

My guess would be new iPods will have a similar form to the iPhone with bigger capacity HDD (or flash memory), I guess they could have Safari and WiFi/BT too and still sell to people who don't want to be stuck with AT&T.

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I feel that that wouldn't be an iPod as much as it would be a portable internet device.

I would see a new iPod possibly with a touchscreen,
    no wireless,
    possible widescreen.
    NO CAMERA,
    Similar to current GUI with maybe some more iPhone elements like the way you scroll through lists and things,
    40 and 100Gb no flash,
    Still focused on Music, photos and Movies.

But we'll see what apple brings out! You never know

9. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I think the next iPod will have wifi, so you can listen to internet radio and share your music with other iPod/iTunes/iPhone users, like you can with iTunes now.

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I'd be happy if the video supported the same format as the Apple TV.

It sucks having the same movie in 3 different formats.

11. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I think just expanding in the areas that the current iPod already features would be enough.

Full widescreen for video playback
    iTunes player
    iPhoto viewer
    Contacts and Calendar but with data entry
    Document viewer and maybe some editing of Word/Excel
    Notepad/ToDo entry/editing

So nothing new really, just input capability, any more and you may as well buy the iPhone. Also, if there is less antenae inside etc, there is more space for memory, an iPod needs 32GB just for music, pictures, calendar and contacts. Add Video and you could do with a bit more.

12. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Remember Steve's words "the iPhone is the best iPod we've made". Doesn't really require a companion.

13. PuzZLeR macrumors newbie

PuzZLeR

I agree too. This sucks having to encode to several formats, especially when H.264 takes forever. What I do instead is encode for the iPod, which is the least common denominator.

However, the video quality specs for iPod are very weak. I would love it to play with bitrates higher than 1.5mbps and it would be nice if it supported Main Profile, CABAC and even anamorphic (full and wide screen pixels) too. This way you have an all-in-one device for portability, one common video format only, and one that would also look good when you hook it up to any Tv that you're using.

All the features discussed here are nice, but there seems to be too much emphasis on this Internet/communications stuff. It's a music/video machine folks, not a phone, which they already now have. Apple should emphasize on features that enhance the playback of music and video for the iPod, and only those features if there's limitations, otherwise the line becomes too blurry between devices.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

15. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Not everyone needs an iPhone, or wants ATT as their cell phone carrier. I think Apple should address these people and an iPod WiFi, OS X Lite, enabled hand held would be amazing. The one thing that I love about my iPod is the 20GBs of space, I couldn't live without that.. possibly removing the cellular phone component would allow for a larger capacity drive/flash drive.

16. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

i hope it has xm satt radio too. and is like and iphone w/ wifi too

17. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I think this could be it:

32gb FLASH, similar form factor to iPhone

&

100gb HD, same as above

18. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I'm going with everybody else. Here's my speculation:

What's in the 6th Gen iPod:
    • Similar iPhone Size/Make Factor
    • WiFi - 802.11g
    • Bluetooth 2.0 with the ability to tether to your phone (DUN) for internet where ever you have a signal.
    • 40GB and 100GB size options
    • Same Sensors as in the iPhone (Ambient Light, Gyros, etc.)
    Applications would include:
    • Safari
    • Mail
    • YouTube
    • Everything Else from the iPhone
    What would not be in the 6th Gen iPod:
    • Cellular Radios
    • GPS (Not that it was in the iPhone)
    • Camera. It could possibly be in there, but maybe a 1.3 instead of 2.
    I hope this comes true.

19. bloodycape macrumors 65816

See this all sounds good, but come on. 32gig flash is atm a little too pricey and would make the ipod cost let say 500, which would be more than the 100gig ipod. If anything we might see a 16gig nano at 300-350 price range while still keeping the other models at the same or lower price range. If they do go with HD you can except battery life to be at least 15% less, or at least that what I read from users who made their iPod mini, and Rio Carbon from miniHD to CF flash card(a regular HD might require more power?).

Camera on a DAP? Kinda of pointless considering you can not record video, something the Archos 402, and 404 CC do with its built in camera. The camera, and video on the 402CC is decent and on par with camera phones(not sure how much improved the 404CC is). Then again with the old Archos 500 series deice you could get a optional web cam style camera and use it in your car as a back up camera(device has a nice 4in screen). If they did that I can see the usefulness but built in no.

Wireless is nice but battery take a hit even when off from what I was told. If they do bluetooth it has to have A2DP support something even the iPhone does not support. Another problem is most stereo bluetooth headphones can get price, but the sound is good but not great like many aftermarket headphones can give you. WiFi is nice but only if they get it to perform like the Sandisk Sansa Connect, which lets you download music wirelessly or listen to internet radio.

One feature I think would be cool to see is a remote that controls your tv(maybe even Apple TV, or a Apple computer). Kinda of like the E10 by iRiver. But the real feature i want to see on the next iPod is VOB support.

The next iPod would be a nice device, but it wont be for me seeing as it wont have UMS capability(key), a file browser(I have all my music nicely organized in folder by artist, and album), voice recorder and the ability to record video(PVR) from TV(my current device does it adequately so not having it would be kind of like a downgrade).

20. walangij macrumors 6502

If this is so, then Apple is in big trouble when they release financial results for the next 4 quarters. I'd expect a huge correction to their stock price if they ignored the iPod. Like others have said 16 and 32gigs of flash is too expensive and plus, non tech people will be like WTF? How come it has LESS memory? And I think that Steve's words are a hint at the future of the iPod too, maybe my companion thoughts are mislead b/c most likely whoever dropped the money on the iPhone will be willing to update their iPods too (assuming that 8GB is not enough).

If Jobs said OSX based, then it'll likely be close to the iPhone, but not quite.
    IMO it'll be revolutionary for the iPod but boring to consumers. Apple really seems to be cannibalizing on their iPod sales with the iPhone or vice versa.

In order for their sales and market share to continue upwards, the 6G iPod should have equal or better battery life than 24hrs, a larger HDD, and likely a touch screen similar to the iPhone. If it has wifi, and is OSX based, even having a Safari browser, then this thing will SELL! GUI and a redesign are essential.

I think we're on the brink of a totally new iPod. The price will likely increase from $249 to at least $349 or above b/c of all the new features and such. And it will be marketed as both an iPhone companion and an all around media device (or PMA like zflauaus says, sounds good). This iPod better be awesome, otherwise the market share of the iPod will slowly drop to other devices. What really keeps the iPod afloat is iTunes, b/c currently, my 5.5G is OLD compared to the other not so popular devices here in Asia, they have great technology, but horrible marketing hence why even though superior, they are not popular.

21. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I agree with walangij in saying that the iPod will start at $349. For what I think it's going to be, it'll be $349 for the 40GB, $399 for the 80GB, and $449 for the 100GB. Anybody see Apple having three different sizes come back to the iPod?

I for one, even though I don't have an 80GB collection of media, would love the 80GB model simply because I could put my movies on there as well as video podcasts that I choose to download. To really make this shine, Apple should incorporate the iTunes Store into their iPod, or at least make it so that when you are at a WiFi hotspot/tethered via BT to the internet, that you can download podcasts on the go. That would be the ultimate device for me. PDA's are gone, PMA's are the way of the future. (I made PMA up, "Personal Media Assistants").

22. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'm not sure what price point they will start at, but those you listed are seem fair. As for the 3 capacities, i can't say whether I think Apple will bring in that many options. 80GB and 100GB are so big that many people who have very large libraries to begin will just opt over the 80GB model. It's a possibility but i think Apple will stay with just a 100GB for the highest capacity.

For the low, many of you are thinking Apple will bump the lower model up to 40GB, but if Apple keeps it at 30GB, they may be able to keep the price down to maybe $300. I think people will still eat it up because so many people have libraries that are so small that they'd still have plenty of room for photos and videos.

As for internet, I think we'll see every advancement on the next revision of the iPhone (or an update) before we see it on any iPod.

23. walangij macrumors 6502

I can see the update having just 2 options, 100GB and the 30/40GB hard drives, keeping it at 30 will likely keep prices lower as you said. Hopefully battery life will continue to improve but most of us expect it to at least stay the same even with the added features. As for internet, if it is OSX based, then I think my hope for a browser is a little out there for now, like you said it'll probably come after a major iPhone revision.

The OSX base will probably offer the cover-flow GUI to keep up w/ iPhone and allow users to connect to the iTunes store through wi-fi at least. I don't see how practical this would really be though b/c likely if you are on wi-fi you are likely at home/school/work or can just wait and plus if you download straight to the iPod, you won't have it on your library at home (maybe but a complex process). I can see it being a feature that is "WOW and NEW" but really not that practical yet more useable that the Zune, the new screen and multitouch will be the selling points.

24. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I would definitely NOT buy an all in one device loaded with cr**py features that would compensate me because I didn't have enough money to afford an iPhone.

The iPod's success is in the fact that it is just that, a portable media player... with a note reader and not an all in one wunder-device with uber apps that add to its expandability.

It might have some iPhone GUI elements but I am really hoping to just see what we've already been seeing from apple and that is a legendary device and a cultural icon and not an overblown iPhone without the phone bit.

I hope this doesn't sound too aggressive but it just seems that people have forgotten about apple's simplistic views on technology.

25. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Well, then there would be two versions of the full size iPod. One with all the features I mentioned, and one just audio, video, and picture playback abilities. This would keep in with the simplistic views that Apple has while also allowing higher-end consumers get the features they might need.