7.2 HSPDA Doesn't Make Sense to Loyal Apple Customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigOrangeSU, Jun 12, 2009.

1. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

I thought I would try to start a discussion about how the fact that the new iPhone has 7.2 mb HSPDA however no areas even have the new network in America. By the time ATT gets around to deploying the higher speed network the next iPhone will be released which I am assuming will be 4g LTE, possibly the new 700mhz network mixed with 7.2 HSPDA. Why does apple bother to release the 3gs with the 7.2. I feel like its just a battery drainer and it should be put off until the next iphone?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I thought it could easily be implemented thru software on AT&T part.
    Not 100% sure though

3. golden3159 macrumors member

The HSPDA is pretty much to benefit our international friends who actually have a halfway decent carrier.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Yeah, I guess Apple should ignore all the other countries in the world that do have 7.2 HSDPA because the American networks don't have it... :rolleyes:

EDIT: And it's HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access), not HSPDA.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Im glad Apple finally thought about the rest of the world with this update.
    If it was up to AT&T they would have never even alowed a tether option or MMS.

6. redrox5 macrumors member

I know ATT rolled it out here in Chicago back in October...:D!

7. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

It's sad but we STILL don't have 3G in my area in upstate NY. It's unreal. I can only imagine how long it will take to upgrade whatever they roll out.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is that the only place that has it so far?
    I wonder how long it will take for other metro areas?
    Does AT&T post what parts of the country will go first and around when?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This is true. To reach HSDPA high speeds all AT&T needs to do is update their software on the cell towers. If however, the bandwidth isn't enough, all AT&T needs to do is add more backhaul.

HSDPA+ speeds however need a hardware update though

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

America is a minority of sales of the iPhone now i'd imagine. It makes sense in places other than America. Just because AT&T is lagging behind (and America's problem due to it's terrain, size etc).

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So in some places software would be enough and others might have to update software and hardware?

12. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I'm always amazed at the reaction from these boards about things and how that's tied to perceptions of Americans from outside of the US (I do apologize to any Americans for this, I'm not someone who hates ALL Americans for just being Americans and regularly disagree with other people who think that all Americans are the same, I'm just speaking on purely stereotypical ideas) but to the rest of the world who are equally as big Apple fans we're stuck with higher prices (I know there is more at play with this issue), delays in receiving products, delays in receiving content (again, not an Apple issue but still something to deal with), etc etc.
    This seems to be (as far as I can remember) that countries other than US are actually benefitting immediately from a product launch. From everything I've read (which is no where near representative of anything) it seems like whenever a Canadian, Europen (sorry for lumping you all together) gets on and says, "Man, I wish we had an iPhone!" there is little sympathy from posters in the US who got it first. Now that America is delayed in getting a few of the most important upgrades to the new iPhone (especially the network speed) there is a lot of outrage over the issue - though I'm sure this is because there are likely more American posters than any other coutnry - but they seem to forget that 9/10 times they are the ones getting the best deal when compared to the rest of the world.
    Again, sorry for having to lump all people in to one group, I hate when Americans think that all Canadians are the same when in reality someone in Toronto has more in common with a New Yorker than they do someone from Montreal or Vancouver so please dont' get upset.

13. The General macrumors 601

You're right, they should have given us a slower modem. :rolleyes:

14. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

The size is why Canada generally lags behind in terms of prices and quality... at least the US has a much higher population, Canadian carriers have to service incredibly remote areas with very few people, relatively speaking... geography plays a huge part in North America, in terms of upgrading and maintain infrastructure.

15. iWork macrumors member

AT&T cell sites will require a software flash. Most cell sites will require newer hardware and AT&T is taking this opportunity to upgrade hardware at each cell site, where necessary.

AT&T will also deploy fiber or metro ethernet to each individual cell site as part of the HSPA upgrade. This is the most time consuming step in the upgrade. A period of time will be set aside towards the end of the upgrade cycle in which tuning will occur.

AT&T is currently increasing over-the-air capacity with its 850MHz overlay. The 850MHz overlay is currently priority and will be followed by the HSPA upgrade.

Other important upgrades to network management are also being performed as we speak. These upgrades are meant as 2G/3G load-balancing measures.

As for MMS, AT&T does not have enough capacity on its MMS gateways and servers to support the large amount of MMS which iPhone users will send. The MMS backbone is likely being upgraded as we speak. Why AT&T has not performed these upgrades sooner is beyond me. Their Juniper router order was fulfilled months ago. MMS is an area where iPhone users are being shafted.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes. HSDPA is very different to HSPA+.

HSPA+ is the evolution to HSPA (which is compromised of HSDPA and HSUPA respectively). That requires new hardware. Current HSPA just requires a new line or two of internet backhaul to the tower and a software update to increase it's speed.

17. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Where's the outrage? I've seen lots of posts about AT&T being slow on the uptake and the ensuing frustration, but outrage? We're not French you know.:)

Being American, I can say for myself at least, that I do feel a bit of entitlement when it comes to getting the latest and greatest from Apple with all the bells and whistles before anyone else, because Apple is an American company. Period.

Brits get to wear cool clothes we never even see over here. Italians can buy an espresso at a GAS STATION that even the swankiest coffee boutique here can't touch for flavor and body, and it even comes with a free little cookie. Asia gets umpteen milliion cool gadgets waaay before we do, if we get them at all. The French get the best restaurants. The Swiss have chocolates and watches we only dream of.

America used to make great stuff. Now we pretty much suck. Besides baseball, the best cheeseburgers on the planet, missiles, and Apple, we ain't got a whole lot left that anyone else wants. So, if we get a little uppity when another country gets to use an iPhone feature designed on our shores before we do, just let us have our tantrum will ya?

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well said. As far as MMS, I think AT&T has enough capacity right now for iPhone users, its just, they don't want to see their network come down on its knees again. I mean, currently AT&T's network is taking a beating like no other by being the only network supporting the iPhone. Verizon can yap and yap all they want, but their network can no longer match AT&T's strength. True, there are still your usual hiccups, but an expansion as great as the iPhone doesn't leave AT&T much time to cope fast enough.

I think AT&T is just preparing themselves just in case usage is higher than expected in the average MMS sending phone. As well, as performing the required updates to allow iPhone users to enjoy full 7.2Mb/s where possible and enable tethering to allow smooth transition.

To be honest, I'll gladly wait for AT&T to bring its network up par and running providing great experience, rather than deploy now MMS and tethering and see everything go to the crapper because AT&T didn't perform the required expansions in time.

19. MEDiphone macrumors member

this made me look at my location...All this time I thought 3g was out everywhere?

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

does this mean NOWHERE in MAINE gets 3G?????

20. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

AT&T is going to roll out 7.2 later this year, as in, before the next iPhone. So for those of us who like to keep their iPhones for two years, it'll be nice to use 7.2 for 75% of that time.

Just because a feature isn't useful on the exact date of release does not mean it won't become useful. See: USB on the original iMac.

21. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I won't quote the whole thing, but I apologize, have all the tantrums you want! :D ... I have always wanted an In-N-Out (is that right?) burger.... maybe one day...at least we've got a Chipotle in Toronto!... that might be the closest I can get to American fine cuisine in terms of fast food.

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I assume the OP has an 802.11g network at home and is sending his new MacBook back to Apple because it has an 802.11n adapter.

The HSTEWPWETW (whatever it is that's faster) will start to roll out later this year in the U.S. I read rumors that Apple went with a different 3G radio, which may mean this one gets the same or better battery life on 3G. But I think it would be stupid to not have the best equipment if it doesn't lag down the device.

The talk time on 3G S is listed as 5 hours, which I seem to remember being equal to or better than the 3G. Therefore, I don't think anything was really sacrificed.

23. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

There have been tons of news articles and press releases about AT&T upgrading their network to 7.2. They have already upgraded some of the cities in my state. You can't make sense of why Apple would make it more future proof? Had they left out 7.2 HSPDA support everyone would be complaining later this year when half of the network supports it. That and the fact that most countries outside the US already support it is why it makes perfect sense.

24. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

For people like me in Hong Kong. We've had HSDPA since 2006. :D

25. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Enough on the US/Entitlement rant... This is an american company that also sells its goods internationally. Not only that, but did you know it was started with an SBA (Small Business Administration) Loan... thats right, US government backed loans (that were paid back, these aren't grants or gifts) with our (US) tax dollars. So yeah, I think we do have not only a sense, but a TRUE entitlement. :cool:

Okay, I know its popular to bash the US right now b/c we have been going through a couple rough spots... But lets not forget a few things. Number one, we still manufacture more than any other country. This is fact, look it up. Second, in terms of WHAT we manufacture, true, we dont produce a lot of clothing, electronics, etc. And to the average consumer that may make it appear like "nothing" is made here. But look at the bigger picture... what we do manufacture is everything from cars, to jet fighters, to commercial aircraft, to farm equipment, to agricultural products. Heck, take a drive through silicon valley and take a look at the offices of companies that were started here, built here, and remain here that have driven a vast majority of the "internet revolution." We still have a lot of innovation as well as manufacturing going on as it always has been.

The doom and gloom is getting tiresome, and frankly, I am more than tired of hearing it. We will undoubtedly see the rise of other countries as large powers, though lets not think they are not without issues (uh, China?) either.

My main point is (to completely hijack a thread about an iPhone) is lets quit the American bashing. I dont think we want to go down the stereotype roles for each individual country... I promise none of you will come out lilly white!