Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
....or will they do what they did last time and wait till release day of the new iPhone?. I think the latter is a bad move seeing how their servers were brought down

Best method will be somewhere between WWDC and release date

Pennine

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Glossop UK
....or will they do what they did last time and wait till release day of the new iPhone?. I think the latter is a bad move seeing how their servers were brought down

Best method will be somewhere between WWDC and release date

Yeah I agree, last year was a nightmare
Apple needs to release 3.0 before the new phone comes out

Emulsion

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I'm confused. The new iPhones come with 3.0 already on them. How would that affect the servers? I thought the servers crashed last year because of mobile me?

Barbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
3.0 will be released during WWDC because of the June 6th release of the Pre. Apple wants all of the comparisons to the pre to include the new functions of 3.0.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm confused. The new iPhones come with 3.0 already on them. How would that affect the servers? I thought the servers crashed last year because of mobile me?

The servers crashed last year because exsisting iphone users downloaded 2.0. Add in all of the new iPhone 3g activations... Eek.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I seriously doubt the OS is ready for release, based on issues remaining in Beta 5. They have a few more iterations left. I also doubt there are nearly enough apps updated for 3.0 capability yet.

They need more time, therefore I think we'll see it mid July as rumored.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I believe 3.0 will be released on the day/day before the new hardware in released, like last year. There were a lot of problems last year at launch with servers crashing but releasing 3.0 earlier would give people brand new features and many will think "I don't want to upgrade anymore! I have 3.0! It's almost as good as the new hardware!" which I really doubt Apple wants.

stofferdk

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
I simply refuse to believe Apple would take "upgrades" into consideration regarding the release date of OS 3.

It is very, very feasible Apple want the 3.0 out to compete with the Pre. Its also feasible Apple want the 3.0 out with the new hardware to make it seem ALL NEW for PR reasons. In between would be a waste in most regards. Day before is a good guess.

I honestly think Apple would go for getting the 3.0 out quickly, but as mentioned above, it might not be ready.
"Knowing" Jobs track record on the other hand, he is not one to be intimidated by the Pre - and might prefer the PR connected to releasing 3.0 with the new hardware.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Around WWDC

It will be released on or a few days after. I have a App, that uses PUSH, that has been approved and my contacts have told me a rough release date of the APP, which is close after wwdc.

They are trying to grab the hype from Pre...

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
I believe 3.0 will be released on the day/day before the new hardware in released, like last year. There were a lot of problems last year at launch with servers crashing but releasing 3.0 earlier would give people brand new features and many will think "I don't want to upgrade anymore! I have 3.0! It's almost as good as the new hardware!" which I really doubt Apple wants.

I would beg to differ. All 3G owners (who will really benefit from 3.0) aren't upgrade eligible until later this year. As a result, it makes no sense for Apple to hold off. For example, I bought my 3G in July and I'm not eligible to upgrade til October, meaning that 3.0 coming out in June or July makes no difference to my willingness or desire to buy the new iPhone when it is launched. If I want it, I'm gonna buy it.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I would beg to differ. All 3G owners (who will really benefit from 3.0) aren't upgrade eligible until later this year. As a result, it makes no sense for Apple to hold off. For example, I bought my 3G in July and I'm not eligible to upgrade til October, meaning that 3.0 coming out in June or July makes no difference to my willingness or desire to buy the new iPhone when it is launched. If I want it, I'm gonna buy it.

Who says they won't be able to upgrade? They probably won't be able to get the $200/$300 price for the next iPhone, but AT&T will most likely subsidize it to $400/$500 like they did with non-upgrade eligible subscribers buying the iPhone 3G.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I think it will be released sometime in June. Beta 5 expires on June 19th. They wont wait until the new iPhone is out because of the problems they had last year. And they also mentioned June whenever they originally announced it in the after keynote questions.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
It will be released on or a few days after. I have a App, that uses PUSH, that has been approved and my contacts have told me a rough release date of the APP, which is close after wwdc.

They are trying to grab the hype from Pre...

Impossible, you cannot submit an app that uses 3.0 build targets. And if it's been approved, it would already be available for sale. YOU set the release date once it's been approved, not Apple.

3.0 won't be available at WWDC. Apple needs to give devs the green light to submit 3.0-ready apps so they are approved for the release of 3.0, just like a bunch of apps were ready when the App Store went live. Apple will probably let the devs know of 3.0 availability 2 weeks or so ahead of time.

lisheran

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

Actually apple is accepting 3.0 ready apps as of like 3 weeks ago.

kisbys

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009
I think it will be released sometime in June. Beta 5 expires on June 19th. They wont wait until the new iPhone is out because of the problems they had last year. And they also mentioned June whenever they originally announced it in the after keynote questions.

I would say more likely Devs will get the RC after the announcement probably with more features for a bit of large scale last minute beta testing of the things that will operate in the iPhone 3G but have not been announced yet. Then we will see the full release around the release date of the 3.0 phone... with poss a second RC in between incase there are any major/minor bugs...

Apple usually likes to get things done properly rather than Microsofts "just release it and we can patch it later" mentality.

Having said that always said with apple ALWAYS wait until the 3rd Gen of a new product... eg original iPod for them to be at their best

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

lisheran said:

Actually apple is accepting 3.0 ready apps as of like 3 weeks ago.

No, they're accepting apps that work in 3.0, there's a difference.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
It will come out before the new iphone Pro is released...so I'd guess no
later than mid July. Probably around June 30.

lmcintyre

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2006
All of the problems last year were not caused by releasing the new hardware and the OS the same day. New iPhone activations took down AT&T's servers, and the OS downloads were coming straight from Apple. The problems were because of Mobile Me, and AT&T's activation servers.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Impossible, you cannot submit an app that uses 3.0 build targets. And if it's been approved, it would already be available for sale. YOU set the release date once it's been approved, not Apple.

3.0 won't be available at WWDC. Apple needs to give devs the green light to submit 3.0-ready apps so they are approved for the release of 3.0, just like a bunch of apps were ready when the App Store went live. Apple will probably let the devs know of 3.0 availability 2 weeks or so ahead of time.

Simply not the case, this is not a small-mid development effort, so you are wrong. There are other larger shops that also have the same understanding. So I stand by my prediction. The other point is that Apple does not care that the fart noise maker is available for 3.0. They are pushing the bigger applications. So still wrong.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Simply not the case, this is not a small-mid development effort, so you are wrong. There are other larger shops that also have the same understanding. So I stand by my prediction. The other point is that Apple does not care that the fart noise maker is available for 3.0. They are pushing the bigger applications. So still wrong.

There are still many unanswered questions for push-capable apps, which on the Apple beta forums the answer is "we'll address it when it's closer to going live." So unless these companies are getting preferential treatment, all the pieces aren't in place yet. And if they are getting treatment, it's not very fair for people who's apps depend on a feature like push. Many successful and useful apps came from small to mid-sized companies. You might be right, but I'd like to see some evidence that points to that. With 2.0 the devs that were in the program at the time, every single one of them, got an email saying when to submit their apps to be available on launch day. I fully expect something similar to happen with 3.0.

The biggest question still out there is the bundle identifier. Many devs were using wildcard identifiers in their apps. You cannot do that and use push. As of right now, the only way to push-enable an app that previously had a wildcard identifier is to make it an entirely new app, which would mean all the customers have to buy it again. It's a HUGE issue. I'm sure thousands of people don't want to rebuy an app they already bought just because the developer used a wildcard identifier. Apple keeps saying "don't worry about it, it's only beta."

Pennine

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Glossop UK

They are trying to grab the hype from Pre...[/QUOTE
Here's the answer, this guy must know

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
There are still many unanswered questions for push-capable apps, which on the Apple beta forums the answer is "we'll address it when it's closer to going live." So unless these companies are getting preferential treatment, all the pieces aren't in place yet. And if they are getting treatment, it's not very fair for people who's apps depend on a feature like push. Many successful and useful apps came from small to mid-sized companies. You might be right, but I'd like to see some evidence that points to that. With 2.0 the devs that were in the program at the time, every single one of them, got an email saying when to submit their apps to be available on launch day. I fully expect something similar to happen with 3.0.

The biggest question still out there is the bundle identifier. Many devs were using wildcard identifiers in their apps. You cannot do that and use push. As of right now, the only way to push-enable an app that previously had a wildcard identifier is to make it an entirely new app, which would mean all the customers have to buy it again. It's a HUGE issue. I'm sure thousands of people don't want to rebuy an app they already bought just because the developer used a wildcard identifier. Apple keeps saying "don't worry about it, it's only beta."

Hate the burst the bubble, Apple has a multi teired system for how they deal with their development community. The smaller to mid-level shops get push to the side for the bigger shops, plan and simple. So whatever informaiton you think you have or heard is not the full truth. I stand by my prediction and also that they will focus on the higher quality from prefered shops long before the bottom feeders. That's just the way it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.