8 Plus wireless charging behavior

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mario-64, Sep 25, 2017.

1. mario-64 macrumors regular

My 8 Plus is working fine except for one odd thing. At night, I place it on a Samsung Qi charger pad. It recharges to full then you get the "charge complete" ding. Problem is, as it lies there on the pad it continues to periodically ding through the night. Almost as if the charge drops slightly then gets charged back to full again. When plugged in to charge it does not do this. Anyone else experiencing this? Is my phone possibly defective?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sounds to me that the connection between your charger plate and phone are marginal with it losing and then regaining the wireless connection making the "bong" sound over and over again. I am betting if you use an Apple approved charger it will work fine.

3. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Isn’t that supposed to be normal behaviour? When it goes to 100% it stops charging but on standby if your phone drops below 100% it automatically charges again until full. I won’t get a wireless charger either way but sounds like expected behaviour to me.

4. mario-64 thread starter macrumors regular

It does not do this when plugged in to charge
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    Don't think so. This charger has worked well on my previous Galaxy S7 and I'm using nothing more than a silicone case with the 8 plus. I'll test with no case at all but I don't think it's my charger

5. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

It has never done for any other phone in the last decade either. That’s just how wired charging works anyway. There’s a point of making that sound for wireless charging though, it’s because you’re physically not able to use the phone while it’s on charge, so that sounds let’s the user know that charging is complete and you can lift the phone to use it now.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

What worked on your Samsung has nothing to do with what will work with your iPhone. The iPhone might need a little more charge rate to stay charging. Still think you need to try with an approved charger but that is up to you.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    Never heard my iPhone make a noise when it was fully charged either by cord or wireless.

7. Spiffyis5150 macrumors member

I'm seeing the same thing on my Iphone 8 Plus too with the Mophie wireless charger. It's like it gets fully charged, stops charging and then starts over. It doesn't really bother me because I have the phone on vibrate most of the time so it's not making any noises, but I was surprised when it did that during the day this weekend when I had the ringer on. Also, mine does not do that when the lightning cable is plugged in and charging. I do have a case on it, but I don't have reason to believe that it's interfering with the charging. I was going to take the case off and see if it made a difference, but I'm skeptical that it will. It's really no big deal to me, but I thought I'd chime in to let you know that you're not crazy. :)

8. mario-64 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much! Shame I can't use wireless charging without these annoying dings all night.

9. Spiffyis5150 macrumors member

I totally understand. It would bug me big time if I didn't have my phone on vibrate. I am a light sleeper and that little ding would drive me insane!!

10. Stang69 macrumors member

11. Americasteam macrumors regular

Anyone else having issues with other charging pads? Sounds like we need a software update. Surely Apple will fix this.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, that's how it works (cultofmac.com).

From the link:
    According to Apple’s statement to AllThingsD:

Apple does in fact display the iPad (and iPhone and iPod touch) as 100 percent charged just before a device reaches a completely charged state. At that point, it will continue charging to 100 percent, then discharge a bit and charge back up to 100 percent, repeating that process until the device is unplugged. Doing so allows devices to maintain an optimum charge, Apple VP Michael Tchao told AllThingsD today. “That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you would like,” Tchao said. “It’s a great feature that’s always been in iOS.”

13. mario-64 thread starter macrumors regular

Given this, the bug is that when wireless charging it produces the charge complete ding over and over with each cycle. It should behave exactly like when charging via cable, i.e. silent

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

While what you are saying makes sense. This behavior also makes sense. The charging pad is seeing your device as fully charged so it stops sending a current. Then once current is needed again the reconnects to the device and charges up causing the ding. This doesn’t happen with a wired connection as it’s never “disconnected”. The charging pad turning off is a disconnection.

(Assuming I understand your post correctly)

15. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

Got the same thing with 2 different Qi chargers.

It’s an issue with the iPhone, since every other phone (and older iPhones with Qi cases) work just fine.

Ordered a new Qi charger with 2 coils, just to try it out. But what’s the point anyway.. the official wireless charger that Apple sells on its store exhibits this defect.

Truly embarrassing for Apple that this is a problem so many years after wireless charging has already been done and mastered by basically every other company in the industry...

16. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

This is not a defect. It’s intended behaviour.

17. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

No it isn’t, stop incorrectly stating that it is. It jumps between charging and not charging several times a minute, turning the screen on and off and playing the charging sound. It does this hundreds of times overnight. That is in no way intentional........

18. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

What do you mean by “jumping” between charging and not charging?! That’s how any new device charge anyway if you keep it plugged in. With wireless charging it even makes more sense because the device lets you know when charging is completed.

Ps. How do you know it’s not the intended behaviour?

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Some geniuses are not.

No way you phone should be connecting and disconnecting multiple times a minute. I still think it is the charger not being compatible. I can see getting the "bong" when done charging but it should be hours before the battery runs down enough to start the charging cycle again, NOT multiple times per minute!

20. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

It behaves as if you plugged and unplugged the charging cable, several times a minute. The iPhone plays the ding and shows the charging symbol... then the power cuts and it doesn’t... then it dings and shows the charging symbol... then the power cuts and it doesn’t... up to 20 times a minute, turning the screen on every single time it does it...

“The device lets you know when charging is completed” no it goddamn doesn’t, that’s not how any of this works. I don’t need to know that my device is fully charged, let alone a dozen times a minute, let alone hundreds of times overnight while I’m sleeping.

Time to stop apologizing for every single one of Apple’s mistakes - the wireless charging in the iPhone 8 is currently half-baked and none of the bizarre behaviour it exhibits is “intentional.”
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Exactly. And even if the charging cycle starts again, I don’t want to hear anything about it. The best part of the charging cycle feature in the first place is that it’s invisible to the user...

The “it lets the user know...” argument reeks of someone who never studied UX/HCI - the user couldn’t care less about this.

21. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Have used the Belkin wireless charger sold by Apple and have not had any problems. I agree with Suckfest and my 8+ like my 7+ does NOT make a charge complete sound.

Maybe there is a problem with the phone and needs to be replaced.

22. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

Oh really? I lost all hope for the official chargers when someone mentioned the Mophi charger exhibited this defect.

Guess I’ll give that one I ordered off amazon a shot after all.

It’s likely not my phone though - my father and I both had this happen with the same wireless chargers on two different 8 Plus devices. It might be just the charger being one of the cheaper ones. If this next one fails, I’ll just go straight to the Belkin.

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Hope you get it sorted out.

24. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

If it’s doing that 20 times every minute then that’s wrong for sure.

Ps. Stop generalising people and calling them apologists the minute they disagree with you. Very immature behaviour.

25. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Suckfest was telling you it was doing it multiple times a minute, you just kept saying it was normal!