Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What phone is this.l?

It's my X, received on Friday, this was the results from my 2nd full charge rundown. The last couple of hours I just stuck it on Arrival (iTunes), about 1/2 brightness (looked beautiful BTW, lots of light/dark contrast, and such a great film).

Of course there's a lot of variation in specific usage, just one example.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I actually completely agree with the OP after being a + hater for years. I got an X and an 8 Plus an have been doing a bake-off over the past 3 days to see which one I want to return. The X is going back 100%. Its just way too many compromises with the X, most having to do with the OLED screen. Blue shift, burn in, less life, more fragile (stops working in a drop test), super yellow for many people, and the list goes on. The X is about the same weight as the + and the black + actually looks sleeker than past + models and feels super premium with it's glass back. I am liking the 8+ way more than the X.

I think Apple compromised with the X the beat the deadline of the ten year anniversary. They went with a tech they have continuously bashed in the past, and we all assumed they did something different but they didnt. There's a reason the tech was bashed and the same shortcomings exist today. I'll wait for next year. Hopefully they will do an edge to edge LCD.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
My wife would have preferred the 8 ... I got her the X ... she was flipping out as she left for work day 1 by herself with no “X” help ... gestures everywhere, swipe here swipe there ... day 1 and biggest question I got was password information because she didn’t know them ... next year, Touch ID will be a thing of the past ... ipads will have Face ID, iPads will fall more in line with iPhone X and Touch ID will get phased out ... I’ve been impressed how well Face ID works, although I haven’t gone through all the scenarios yet, like discretely checking your phone while laying on a table in a meeting ... but then again, that’s what the watch is for ... Apple is building an ecosystem here and use cases for different things ... some will work great, and some won’t, i think though iPhone X is a winner, and will only evolve from here ...

Strakt

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
I went straight back. I thought the OLED display looked like a dumpster fire. I never want to look at one again.

Sure I guess if your eyes are used to looking at garbage washed out LCD screens, then you're used to those

Strakt

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
I have an X and an 8+ right in front of me. The 8+ has the better screen. Colors are amazing, no yellow tint, no blue shift. Glad I demoed both so I can get this trash oled out of my sight ASAP.

Sounds like you got a ****** X :D

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
*the price to fix the phone has nothing to do with how good a phone is.
I'd say it's fair to mention. At the risk of bringing another car analogy to the mix, I always look at relaiability AND repair/amintenance costs when I am looking at vehicles. I realize there are a TON of variables when picking a car, but when looking at the same class of automible you can have huge gaps in maintenance running from octane rating required all the way to number of miles between oil changes. I'd say repairs/replacements sort of fall into those lines, at least for those who are cost concisous.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I actually completely agree with the OP after being a + hater for years. I got an X and an 8 Plus an have been doing a bake-off over the past 3 days to see which one I want to return. The X is going back 100%. Its just way too many compromises with the X, most having to do with the OLED screen. Blue shift, burn in, less life, more fragile (stops working in a drop test), super yellow for many people, and the list goes on. The X is about the same weight as the + and the black + actually looks sleeker than past + models and feels super premium with it's glass back. I am liking the 8+ way more than the X.

I think Apple compromised with the X the beat the deadline of the ten year anniversary. They went with a tech they have continuously bashed in the past, and we all assumed they did something different but they didnt. There's a reason the tech was bashed and the same shortcomings exist today. I'll wait for next year. Hopefully they will do an edge to edge LCD.

Eh I think apple calibration with OLED Is a slam dunk assuming you win panel lottery

DisplayMate Just today claimed it’s the best mobile display. Period.

Tint shift is virtually the only bad thing coming from an older display, size preference tossed aside. In every other way OLED is superior to my eyes. Even brightness appears relatively on par outside and indoors, outdoor legibility being a big worry of mine before it released

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The problem isn’t that people prefer one whatever over another, it’s that they insist on creating countless separate threads about it, with titles that read like their stance is is some kind of fact.

OP ED pieces are not news people. Do grasp that.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I have an X and an 8+ right in front of me. The 8+ has the better screen. Colors are amazing, no yellow tint, no blue shift. Glad I demoed both so I can get this trash oled out of my sight ASAP.

How's battery compare?

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012

Thanks for agreeing. Apple has alooooot of work to do on the oled screens

Sure I guess if your eyes are used to looking at garbage washed out LCD screens, then you're used to those
LCD screens are not bad at all. The X screen needs work

Sounds like you got a ****** X :D
sure does

Eh I think apple calibration with OLED Is a slam dunk assuming you win panel lottery

DisplayMate Just today claimed it’s the best mobile display. Period.

Tint shift is virtually the only bad thing coming from an older display, size preference tossed aside. In every other way OLED is superior to my eyes. Even brightness appears relatively on par outside and indoors, outdoor legibility being a big worry of mine before it released
No, the galaxy 8+ has the best display ever not the X

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not real world use though.
You will never get a good "real world use" estimate because everyone uses their phones differently. I might spend my time taking lots of photos, you might send texts, and someone else might do facebook. I think this test was decent in varying up tasks that varied in cpu/gpu intensity and kept the screens on at all times. I am unsure you are going to get a much better example outside of personally using each of these phones for a few days and deciding that way. Most of us do not have that option.

Reactions: Ntombi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.