Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Original article here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/8-things-the-iphone-5-still-can-t-do.html

The summarized list is:

1. "NFC for mobile payments"

2. "An improved texting solution on the keyboard, like Swype"

3. "SD card support for extra storage"

4. "A 128 GB option"

5. "Non-proprietary dock connection"

6. "A micro-HDMI port"

7. "Replaceable battery"

8. "While we're at it, better battery life!"

I'm 99.9% sure this article was written purely for SEO purposes and to generate ad revenue for Yahoo!, no better than this (humorous) Onion article from this year's iPad release.

Quality article, Yahoo!. Explains why I'm going there to play fantasy football (much to my chagrin), not to read their "news".

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
The only thing on that list that I'd really, really have liked to have seen is the 128 GB option. Yes, it might be more than I'd need right away, but I'd really rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Yea iPhone really has to keep up with all those other 128GB phones out there.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Better battery life than what?

From the article: "We wish Apple had included a better battery in the iPhone 5 like the one on Motorola's Droid Razr Maxx. The Razr Maxx can last several hours longer than the iPhone 5."

Yes. Several hours on the Razr Maxx breaks the deal. Guys, I'm going Android.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Everyone says the iPhone can't do this and the iPhone can't do that. Then lists are made and people realize how stupid and petty the things it doesn't have are. Apple has a reason for not including each and every one of these.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
The only thing on that list that I'd really, really have liked to have seen is the 128 GB option. Yes, it might be more than I'd need right away, but I'd really rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Agreed, but I don't think there is one available from ANYONE, is there? The rest of the list I read and my response was "don't care, don't care, don't care..."

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
From the article: "We wish Apple had included a better battery in the iPhone 5 like the one on Motorola's Droid Razr Maxx. The Razr Maxx can last several hours longer than the iPhone 5."

Yes. Several hours on the Razr Maxx breaks the deal. Guys, I'm going Android.

Several hours until you run a bunch of programs in the background without knowing it, then it will be reversed. Why people always seem to forget that when making those comparisons is beyond me.

Regarding the list, Number 7 is the only one I would like to see, but it's not that important. Most of those argument really do come down to preference.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Agreed, but I don't think there is one available from ANYONE, is there? The rest of the list I read and my response was "don't care, don't care, don't care..."

Yeah, I don't know if any exist from other manufacturers either, but the only one I'd be interested in is an iPhone, so I don't care if other ones exist. :) Just stating what I'd have liked to buy.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Doesn't n eed HDMI since we have airplay mirroring. Who cares about it having micro usb. External storage lol. You cant even save apps on the external SD card on the S3.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It looks like they're trying to get more clicks and web traffic. Pathetic.
How would they know the iPhone 5 battery life? No one has it yet. They could at least test it themselves before publishing an article about it.

and lol, Did they really throw not having 128GB on that list? :p

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
Honestly I still can't believe that we don't have a file manager system app, and that we can't download files from Safari. These are my 2 biggest complaints with iOS. Of course they lack several other features from Android, but I prefer the vast app ecosystem that Apple offers. (And yes I know if you're jailbroken, you can get iFile and Safari Download manager)

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012

You can get phones with 64 gig onboard and a SD card slot capable of another 64.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Yea iPhone really has to keep up with all those other 128GB phones out there.

This one is the most laughable of all. 128 GB? Why even have storage options at that point? You have enough to carry around a Time Machine backup of your Macbook Air (assuming it's not full) at that point.

Of all, NFC was a bit of a downer for me, but I admittedly know nothing about how practical and useful it'd be given the slow adoption of the technology elsewhere. Yeah, it'd be "future-proof".. but a new iPhone will be out by then anyway.

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are able to replace the battery. You can buy replacement batteries online and do it youself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.