8 Things iPhone 5 Still Can't Do (per Yahoo!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brayhite, Sep 17, 2012.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Original article here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/8-things-the-iphone-5-still-can-t-do.html

The summarized list is:

1. "NFC for mobile payments"

2. "An improved texting solution on the keyboard, like Swype"

3. "SD card support for extra storage"

4. "A 128 GB option"

5. "Non-proprietary dock connection"

6. "A micro-HDMI port"

7. "Replaceable battery"

8. "While we're at it, better battery life!"

I'm 99.9% sure this article was written purely for SEO purposes and to generate ad revenue for Yahoo!, no better than this (humorous) Onion article from this year's iPad release.

Quality article, Yahoo!. Explains why I'm going there to play fantasy football (much to my chagrin), not to read their "news".

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yawn, it doesn't cut my grass either, they left that out

Straw man arguments at their best

3. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

The only thing on that list that I'd really, really have liked to have seen is the 128 GB option. Yes, it might be more than I'd need right away, but I'd really rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

5. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Yea iPhone really has to keep up with all those other 128GB phones out there.

6. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

the only ones that are reasonable are maybe 1 and 2. The rest are complete jokes.

7. KimMelton661 macrumors 6502

What is swype? I like texting on the iPhone, a lot actually.

8. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

It would have been nice if the "journalist" had mentioned what device they are using so we could know how impartial they may or may not be.

9. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

From the article: "We wish Apple had included a better battery in the iPhone 5 like the one on Motorola's Droid Razr Maxx. The Razr Maxx can last several hours longer than the iPhone 5."

Yes. Several hours on the Razr Maxx breaks the deal. Guys, I'm going Android.

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Everyone says the iPhone can't do this and the iPhone can't do that. Then lists are made and people realize how stupid and petty the things it doesn't have are. Apple has a reason for not including each and every one of these.

11. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Agreed, but I don't think there is one available from ANYONE, is there? The rest of the list I read and my response was "don't care, don't care, don't care..."

12. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Honest question, what other phones come with 128 GB options?

13. SprSynJn Guest

Several hours until you run a bunch of programs in the background without knowing it, then it will be reversed. Why people always seem to forget that when making those comparisons is beyond me.

Regarding the list, Number 7 is the only one I would like to see, but it's not that important. Most of those argument really do come down to preference.

14. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

It was written by Business Insider, no journalism, just link bait.

15. iphonehype macrumors 6502

LOL.....Made my day!! :D

16. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Yeah, I don't know if any exist from other manufacturers either, but the only one I'd be interested in is an iPhone, so I don't care if other ones exist. :) Just stating what I'd have liked to buy.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is actually quite cool and fun to use. Really easy if you want to text using one hand. you have to use it to really understand how cool it really is.

18. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Doesn't n eed HDMI since we have airplay mirroring. Who cares about it having micro usb. External storage lol. You cant even save apps on the external SD card on the S3.

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

None yet. The Galaxy S3 will have 64GB internal storage soon. I guess they are including SD card storage as well.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It looks like they're trying to get more clicks and web traffic. Pathetic.
    How would they know the iPhone 5 battery life? No one has it yet. They could at least test it themselves before publishing an article about it.

and lol, Did they really throw not having 128GB on that list? :p

21. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

22. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

Honestly I still can't believe that we don't have a file manager system app, and that we can't download files from Safari. These are my 2 biggest complaints with iOS. Of course they lack several other features from Android, but I prefer the vast app ecosystem that Apple offers. (And yes I know if you're jailbroken, you can get iFile and Safari Download manager)

23. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

You can get phones with 64 gig onboard and a SD card slot capable of another 64.

24. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

This one is the most laughable of all. 128 GB? Why even have storage options at that point? You have enough to carry around a Time Machine backup of your Macbook Air (assuming it's not full) at that point.

Of all, NFC was a bit of a downer for me, but I admittedly know nothing about how practical and useful it'd be given the slow adoption of the technology elsewhere. Yeah, it'd be "future-proof".. but a new iPhone will be out by then anyway.

25. Davewithak macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are able to replace the battery. You can buy replacement batteries online and do it youself.